Riding in Austria (Leogang & Saalbach)

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Following various threats by @Tubbsy that “quality” threads need to appear or he’s telling every child under 6 Santa isn’t real or something, here’s an incoherent and debatably useful ramble about my recent Europe jaunt that includes relevant mtb material and too many photos taken in portrait mode.

20230909_143519.jpg

Leogang and Saalbach

Situated in Austria amid some sizey mountains, this region is banger. We had four full days here - two in Leogang and two in Saalbach-Hinterglemm, which took about an hour or so to get between via train. There is a way to ride between both areas via a section of lengthy trail that makes up part of “The Challenge”, but everyone we spoke to said it was an absolute **** of a traversy technical trail that was probably best done on an ebike (gross). Regardless, just staying within the area you’re located still gives you heaps of trails to ride.

20230907_190926.jpg

The Epic Bikepark Leogang

We stayed in one of the many accommodation spots that are nestled right under the Riders Playground and L1 chairlift. As we didn’t bring bikes for this trip, we were at the mercy of what we could hire which turned out to be more confusing than anticipated. The sole rental company for the bike park had an Enduro bike option (Scott Ransom) and DH bike (Scott Gambler). While I gravitated (hur) towards the Ransom, we were told that Enduro bikes were not insured within the bike park and could only be used on the “single trails” just outside the bikepark.

I was rewarded with lots of frowning when I suggested perhaps I could just use the Enduro bike in the park anyway sans insurance. Um nein. Ok then but then if you rent a DH bike you’re limited to what’s in the park and can’t take it outside of it (which at least makes more sense as the single tracks aren’t chairlift accessible and do require a bit of pedalling). In addition, most hotels also have their own mtbs for hire but ours were absolutely verboten for bike park duties. However they remain a good option for plenty of more adventure trails that are littered all over the place outside of the park and in contrast to the official bike park bikes are dirt cheap to hire.

As we had no idea what we were doing, we paid for some Ransoms (hur) and went out to have a look at the single trails which promised a bit of a “gentle North Shore” vibe. This is probably the best time to have a word about trail gradings. As @Jpez mentioned in his Europe write up the grading system is a bit different from ours, with Blue = easy, Red = moderate and Black = expert.

These are misleading.

But we’ll get to that. I just took everyone at face value when they nodded and smiled and said “yes those gradings are 100% accurate” and off we went (worth noting that this visit to Leogang was a surprise for my birthday so I did zero research / watching videos of trails etc. ahead of arriving). I was riding with my girlfriend who is still very much at the beginner level hence the additional caution about trail gradings, but whatever anything below black should be fine let’s go. We did a couple of red trails (LE13 and LE15), which immediately proved their “moderate” rating was a house of lies with some of the most technical shit I have ever seen but with more gravity and death. Luckily I really like technical hand cut trails so I was in my element for most of it, but my poor gf took a couple of hits including a proper stall out tumble down an embankment. Luckily she’s a total trooper and didn’t get too psychologically dented by the experience.

These trails were a boatload of fun but never eased up, and I ended up having to awkwardly walk a few of the corners given my nosewheelie skills are non-existent and I couldn’t see any other way through, a notion affirmed when some lycra clad bandit on a XC looking blur proceeded to rip past us and nose pivot through every corner I subsequently waddled through. Way to make it obvious we don’t need 150mm+ travel bikes. Dick.

After that we went out and rode some of the other trails towards Fiberbrunn, which were considerably easier and more of an XC adventure vibe through continually brain melting scenery.

20230907_155627.jpg

20230908_144135.jpg

Going up

Day two was time to saddle up some Gamblers and hit the bike park itself. I won’t go into too much of the detail of the rest of the trails in the region as they’re all pretty easily Googleable, but given I was riding with someone who was starting to feel the effects of yesterday’s tumbles we stuck to the easier ones. First one was the only blue rated trail from the top, a 9km leviathan that was easily the best flow trail I’ve ever ridden. Unfortunately we got a heap of time chewed up stuck a third of the way down after a rider in front of us absolutely axed themselves and couldn’t be moved until they were helicoptered out with no way past them either. Pretty nasty. Happens all the time apparently.

20230908_131904.jpg

Possibly maintained with hand scissors

In the time we had left I had a look at couple of black runs (lol no), tried out Hangman II (mega jump line) and got an uninterrupted 30 minute descent down Steinberg Line again. Not quite as much as I’d have like to have done (if I’d had the time again I’d have binned off the afternoon of exploring on day one for more shuttles in the Bikepark). Then it was onto Saalbach.

Conditions

We scored a week of perfect weather and Leogang was superb. If there’s a more manicured trail network I’ve yet to see it, even the rougher stuff was free of bomb holes and finding any braking bumps was a notable for how infrequent they were. In contrast all of Saalbach I rode was roooough. It’s a network that’s clearly been flogged all summer (at a guess because nearly all of the network is exposed and would dry heaps faster, whereas nearly all of Leogang was under tree cover). Braking bumps got properly sketchy in places, less so after I’d realised I’d initially left the shock in its firm setting in a move worthy of a COTF thesis given how close I got on one section to being spat into a fairly unyielding looking tree.

Despite this, I preferred Saalbach. The trails were sketchier but more fun, especially some of the red ones which swapped endless brake bumps for high-speed technical fuck-I-hope-this-is-the-right-line adrenaline hits. Also there were pubs scattered along the trails at Saalbach, a feature I never realised the world needed until now. Scenery was (slightly) better at the latter too, although both were insane. Trail design was superb everywhere too, even if I can’t vouch for any of the black runs as a nose into a few was sufficient to confirm I should find my fun elsewhere. A parachute might’ve helped for a couple of them (TBC).

Hiring bikes v BYO

Easy answer is if you’re here for a day or two, hire. Any longer and bringing your own bike starts stacking up given bike + gear hire for a day was averaging AUD $230-250. Plus acquainting yourself with both unfamiliar trails on bikes equipped with parts you don’t even recognise (wtf are Sram DB8s) slows down the fun a bit while you get to grips (hur) with your rental. If you do choose to rent the guys at Bikefurst in Saalbach were awesome, taking the time to help set up sag, tyre pressures, fit of protective gear and anything else asked of them. Plus on day two my girlfriend’s prospective steed broke so they apologetically offered a spare.

The spare:

20230910_110345.jpg

Yes those are Cura 4s. Yes I was insanely f***ing jealous.

Leogang’s bike hire situation wasn’t as stellar. In addition to the aforementioned rules about what bike could be taken where, getting any of the disinterested teenagers vaguely working at any of the stations to give you more than “here’s your bike now f*** off” was a challenge, although the mechanics were happy to swap the brakes over. Call me a pansy foreigner, but I wouldn’t mind knowing things like what sag my bike is running or if it’s actually set up for my weight. I feel like details like that can make a difference sometimes. Anyway nvm, Leogang was still nuts.

20230907_193442.jpg

As I understand it 99% of Austria is basically this

Costs

As mentioned, hire bikes and associated gear is up to $250 a day but that’s for everything, including a package deal on a bunch of shit I’d never worn before like elbow guards and body armour for the full Jerry Experience. You could probably save maybe $15-20 by just going for knee pads and a full-face helmet but given that modest saving and the speed you’ll be likely hitting stuff at in fairly short order it’s probably worth just getting everything. As my partner can unfortunately attest, the protective gear can make a big difference (for reference that rider who got helicoptered out wasn’t even in a full face).

Be warned the retail bike shop in Leogang is absolutely loaded with gear you never knew you desperately needed and is more than happy to help you with emotional purchases:

20230907_162524.jpg

Bank account starts screaming in terror

Accommodation / transit etc. obviously varies a bit more but happy to discuss via PM for anyone interested. We didn’t hire a car but public transport was excellent, as was riding on the roads between towns / trail networks / chairlifts (trail etiquette is another issue but let’s just say Australia is ahead here). Most accommodation seemingly includes 2x full chairlifts (i.e. bottom to very top) of anywhere in the region per day. Extra chairlifts were around $35 from vague memory.

20230909_162358.jpg

Worth asking what kind of rental bikes any prospective accommodation stocks as it differs a bit, with one hotel I rode past having a fleet of very tasty looking Commencals smothered in Ohlins.

Another notable was food / drink, which was at most on par with here and usually a fair whack cheaper, which surprised me. $8 pints is a world I’ll happily return too. Not sure it needs to be stated how good the food and drink is (hint: very).

20230909_192937.jpg

A beer. Note drop in background (just above treeline)

In conclusion, despite respectfully suggesting that their trail designations be amended to Blue: fast, Red: alarming and Black: f*** off Australian; riding in Austria was a mind blowing experience. Can and will recommend. Will definitely go back, but armed with a hire car and at least one bike bag this time

20230910_142102.jpg

Closest I’ve ever come to proposing to some rocks and dirt

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Sweet ride report @Asininedrivel . I am writing this from Sydney airport while I wait for my Canberra flight after 6 weeks in Bavaria, Italy (Dolomites) and a bit of Austria. My trip was a mix of family, work and holiday with only a couple of days of dedicated riding but pretty much rode every day.

Can confirm that the ratings are widely variable different from Australia. A trail can get an expert rating if it requires either expert levels of fitness, expert levels of skill or both. Its taken a few trips to get my head around riding down steep stuff and exposure that you just don't see in Australia. The Alps are definitely wild.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Brilliant write up! Considering normal people are riding the black trails there, what level of batshit crazy do you need to be a professional?

I'm going to Salzburg for the day this winter, absolutely no way to ride but that beer is calling..

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I've seen a few places say they're running the lifts at least until the end of October. Global warming is definitely reducing the amount of snow on the mountains so the lifts and bike parks will usually stay open until there's too much snow.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Perfect timing. Planning a trip next year with family and Saalbach is on the list as the internet says it is full of fun family things (bikes, hikes, water parks etc). Will send a PM at some point to get some more details.

Jpez

Down on the left!
You are right. Those switch backs are intimidating as hell. Especially if there’s an exposed drop on one edge. First day I was having none of that with my guide effortlessly endoing around them. He even took a cheeky photo of me walking/sliding on my ass down one like a sook. By the third day I wouldn’t say I’d mastered it but I was actually getting around some with zero grace but I wasn’t walking.
I‘ll update my Europe thread when I get a bit of time.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any photos of said switchbacks?

If riders of your two calibre are having 2nd thoughts, they must be something!

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Mother Nature pitches in nicely to offer a smattering of hellishly placed sniper roots to increase the shit your pants moments.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Love the write up. Amazing how many awesome trails are waiting to be ridden in all corners of the world.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Wow, even look crazy on gopro. When a dude wearing a red bull helmet stops to have a look and struggles, nuts.
There’s 3 sections of that trail and I rode the first third. I’d been on the bike 6 hours at that stage and day 3 so was feeling frisky. It had rained the day before but the trail was surprisingly grippy which gave me more confidence. Plus I’d been hit in the shoulder by a surprised hawk as I rounded a bend of a cliff wall and surprised it and its mate and they took off and I saw a flash, felt a woosh and something brush my shoulder, the guide behind me yelled/whooped and I turned and saw two hawks soaring off into the distance. Anyone that knows me well knows I have a thing about pelicans being good luck. When I see pelicans on the way to a ride I always have a good ride. There are often pelicans crossing the highway on the way to my local. If I don’t see pelicans a seed of doubt is down. Lol. It’s also run to eagles and Kites. So being a bit superstitious a hawk brushing my shoulder basically constituted a free pass.
Section 2-3 are off limits to the average Joe like myself. Which I was pretty well glad of as the consequence of fucking a corner up are pretty serious.

Last edited:

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Any photos of said switchbacks?

If riders of your two calibre are having 2nd thoughts, they must be something!
A disappointment I had when going through photos for this write up was how few I actually took of the trails themselves. It's pretty much because I was having too much fun riding to consider stopping. Also to be fair I struggle a bit with tight, steep switchbacks at the best of times, always tend to drop my vision directly ahead rather than looking through the corner and placing the bike accordingly. But yeah these were pretty out there.

Jpez

Down on the left!
A disappointment I had when going through photos for this write up was how few I actually took of the trails themselves. It's pretty much because I was having too much fun riding to consider stopping. Also to be fair I struggle a bit with tight, steep switchbacks at the best of times, always tend to drop my vision directly ahead rather than looking through the corner and placing the bike accordingly. But yeah these were pretty out there.
Same with me. Either just plain having too much fun riding to stop and take pics, or too invested in not dying to worry about taking pics and when I did take pics and looked at them they just looked so underwhelming and unable to convey the sheer majesty of what I was trying to photograph I basically just gave up and enjoyed myself.