Riding in Kathmandu?

sundy

Likes Dirt
Has anybody done any riding in Kathmandu? (Nepal, not the clothing brand, to pre-empt the funny buggers)

I think I'll be going there for work soon, for a couple of weeks, so I'm hoping I can get a ride in.
Google has told me about a few tour companies but I'd like to hear some other opinions.
I would need to hire a bike because I won't be taking my own, and I'd prefer to just descend. I imagine the climbs there will be way too hard for me.

Thanks.

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
I have ridden in Kathmandu and Pokhara.
If you are just going to be in Kathmandu Valley, then you have a few options. There are a number of places which hire out hardtails that you can rent for around $20-25 AUD per day. Any of the shops would be able to take you on a day trip for around $50-$65 for the day.

The longer trips (1 week +) are great but book early as these often do fill up.
I went with www.himalayansingletrack.com. There is an aussie chick ho runs it o you can actually give her a call now to ask questions and get stuff sorted. I can highly recommend this company. Expensive considering that this is a 3rd world country, but worthwhile if you just want to ride and not organise stuff.

If you want a dual suspension bike in Kathmandu then Himalayan single track are really your only option and they don't have too many bikes so I recommend booking beforehand. Also with any bike that you hire give it a good look over beforehand and test the shifters, brakes, fork, suspension, etc.. Those bikes get flogged and the maintenance is minimal.

Have you been to Nepal before? Depending on the weather Kathmandu can be blanketed in smog and the streets covered in dust. Whatever your plans try to spend as little time as possible in the city as it's shit, especially if the smog is around.

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
Agree, Katmandu is shit. Mountainbiking in the Himalayas would be bloody amazing though. I've done some climbing and trekking there and loved it.