Riding in Research Victoria.

sunmonkee

Likes Bikes
HI,

I am heading to Research in Victoria for a few day s at Christmas. Looks like there are a few decent trails around the area, Plenty George and Smiths Gully. I'm wanting to ride somewhere that's well sign posted as I wont have a heap of time to explore. I'll be in Prahran later that week, so I'll ride Lysterfield and Yarra trails.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
HI,

I am heading to Research in Victoria for a few day s at Christmas. Looks like there are a few decent trails around the area, Plenty George and Smiths Gully. I'm wanting to ride somewhere that's well sign posted as I wont have a heap of time to explore. I'll be in Prahran later that week, so I'll ride Lysterfield and Yarra trails.
PG and Smiths area aren't well posted at all, do you have a garmin I could send a GPX file through for?

sunmonkee

Likes Bikes
No Garmin unfortunately.
Is there anywhere else worth checking out? Worst case ill try my luck finding the trails.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No Garmin unfortunately.
Is there anywhere else worth checking out? Worst case ill try my luck finding the trails.
Plenty Gorge park near the big water tank and head east, then south, and do a big clockwise loop. Should be easy to do 2-3 hours and hard to get wildly lost. Smiths is best to do a big loop which is hard to explain.
Hans loop ( on the maps as Candlebark Park) is close to Research and hard to get lost but shorter. I'd do PG and the Yarra trails from Target rd to Burke rd ( incl Hans) while at Research, then the southern YTs from Prahran out to Burke rd. The southern stuff goes from south of Johnston st.

Also Check out Openstreetmap.org this shows most of the trails at plenty gorge.
As Casnell said park at the big water tank on Goldsworth lane head east and south and you wont go too far wrong.
The local riders are a friendly bunch and will be happy to point you in the right direction if you are looking lost.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
no garmin hey, what's your partners number I'll give her a call as we know what you want for xmas.

Mt Everard Track, its not purely mountain biking but rough enough for some fun, ride to smiths gully (or park there) then take that road/track to kinglake via mt everard, then return for hammer time on the descent.