Riding lots and losing too much weight -help?!

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi guys and gals,

I'm 33 and feeling damn good now that I'm back into cycling.

I just had a chat with my neighbour out the front and she was shocked that I looked so thin. She said any thinner and I'll vanish! She even said look at your jeans! They're falling off, funny thing is I've only just started wearing a belt with these jeans (I never had to before).

I was 63 before, now I'm 58kg's.

Any advice on putting some weight on without "having" to go to the gym? More specifically diet help perhaps?

AMBURGERS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
KFC! lol. yeh just carbs, eat nutri grain for breaky lunch and tea and u should be right.

how tall are u, your light, i'm like 75kg and i'm 14. but i'm 6ft aswell but yeh.

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm short! I'm only 5ft 5.

OK I just did a little research and it seems like the "average" weight for a small framed guy at my height should be between 60-63kg's.

Looks like I'll have to pile on the pasta (yum). The hot weather today suggests that I'll be drinking more beer soon too (lol).

AMBURGERS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
haha, whats the avererage weight for my height then. eh, more muscle than fat, but there is fat lol. time to get on my bike.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
I find the BMI is a bit of a crock..... Tends to favour underweight people very much! :p By this I mean that I am technically overweight, being 6'3" and 89-90kg..... !

Just do the opposite of what I'm doing..... Eats lots of carbs, proteins etc.. (Red meat, pasta etc)

Perhaps your just a skinny bloke with a good metabolism? You look healthy to me dude, maybe just enjoy your food more if your really worried :)

And fuck the gym. lol

syphon_the_python

Likes Dirt
If you are riding heaps and have lost a bit of weight, don't worry about it. As long as you are not getting hungry you'll be fine. That is, you're not hurting your body.

castillo

Likes Dirt
There's nothing wrong with being healthily thin. As you stated, its from riding lots not from some stupid fad diet so I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I too have lost about 9kg in the last few months, just from riding to work and cutting back on the red bulls.
BMI IS a crock of shit. Here is a pic of me at 174cm and 96kg. Do I look morbidly obese? I would hope not.

PS, you don't look much over 25 either.

Attachments

pliskin

Likes Dirt
i have noticed a similar thing . before i started riding again in April i was hovering around the 83-85 kg. jumped on the scales over the weekend, im back down to 72kg.
as long as u are eating healthy , u shouldnt worry too much.
if u find yourself constantly out of energy, your diet is inadequate.

Lorday

Eats Squid
There's nothing wrong with being healthily thin. As you stated, its from riding lots not from some stupid fad diet so I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I too have lost about 9kg in the last few months, just from riding to work and cutting back on the red bulls.
BMI IS a crock of shit. Here is a pic of me at 174cm and 96kg. Do I look morbidly obese? I would hope not.

PS, you don't look much over 25 either.
Haha i'm 174cm and wiegh 56kg! Skinny but lack of fat = excellent muscle tone (eg I don't work out apart from some push-ups each day and I have a noticeble 6 pack ;))
Line up ladies ;):p:D

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
LOL. Cheers for all the input guys.

My routine has been get up in auto pilot mode, stumble to the kitchen with one eye open and make plunger coffee. Toast bread + wipe whatever I have on it (jam, peanut butter, vegemite, butter) whilst I wait for the coffee to brew then get straight onto the PC.

Lunch I either make a sandwich (salad/ham/whatever is in the fridge) or usually eat out/heat left overs.

Dinner I usually get a donation once a week off my mother (nyaw) which usually lasts me 1-2 days (well, dinner, then it becomes lunch leftovers) and it's always healthy. I eat out at least twice a week, usually rich oily shit. I make dinner with my girl once a week, we make it for 4, so I usually have leftovers to trickle feed me through the week. Otherwise I make whatever, simple pastas (what I mainly eat) with those frozen veggies in bags you now get at the Coles (they've been good to me for the past few months now). Oh + a piece of fruit a day.

I'm getting fitter but I still feel I lack a lot of endurance energy. Endurance has never been my thing though.

And yes I agree. Fuck the gym. If they ever made a 'Fitness Second' I'll be the first to sign up!!!

csd

Likes Dirt
I wish I was in the same boat, but unfortunately my metabolism ground to a halt years ago.

Eat out every night, and eat for 2 and you'll be stacking it on in no time ;) Drink more booze too, preferably with a nice carbonara pasta just before bed .

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Justin, I think you have the same dilemma as me mate. Your physique seems to mirror mine too. Apart from being constantly on the bike, I used to run (up to 10kms 3 nights a week) and never realised how much I weighed untill one night, I blacked out (I admit, it was a very hot night!). I had dropped to 55kg which in my mind, was dangerously low. Pretty concerned Ill tell you!

What it came down to for me is regular meal times. Having substantial breakfasts, lunches and dinners and not pigging out on snacks in the arvo before dinner. If your planning a big ride on the weekend, supplement it the night prior by having a pasta meal. As stated, carbs are your friend.

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I hate you. I look at food and gain a kilo. I thin about it and gain 2.
I was riding 120km per week and put on 6 kg.
Admittedly, I think that was my legs.
But I can't get the body fat down. I don't even eat junk or stupid stuff.
I'm 93 kg now, and I want to lose 10kg.
Looks like I need to do something drastic... look for a new thread soon!