Riding on Hiking Trails in NZ?

markhood01

Likes Bikes
I'm headed to NZ in Jan and keen to know if NZ is as strict on not riding on hiking trails as they are in Aus? Hoping they have a more 'European' outlook toward the whole affair.

I'm going to be mostly in QT, and thinking of taking some lightweight camping gear to do a little bike packing for a night or two.

Anyone done any great 'backcountry' rides around QT?

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I don't know for sure ... but from discussions with friends the attitude seems to be there are sooo many amazing rider friendly trails, that you really shouldn't be riding on hiker friendly trails. There are obviously shared access trails, but dedicated trails are just that.

Best way to know is to post on vorb ...

Zac Hinton

St Bernard
I'm going there tomorrow for a few days. I will check out the vibe from the bike shop. There looks to be heaps of trails around in QT

Hitting up the bike park and some shuttle action at Coronet Peak too is would say at this stage.

markhood01

Likes Bikes
Thanks Zac. Jealous!

I hear you Nerf. Don't want to piss anyone off, just keen to get off the beaten track a little. For example, earlier this year I did a ride from Falls Creek > Hotham > Harrietville. While the trails weren't all amazing, the surrounds and scenery made it one of the best days riding I've done. Looking for something similar in NZ. Even if its just fire roads.

Don't stress, I'll be hitting up all the good stuff around QT as well :)

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Me too, in Dec though. Is the whole rotorburn going to QT or something?

For me I just want a piece of that gondola - WHEN CAN WE GET ONE IN VIC!!!?

lost it

Likes Bikes
Just got back from NZ last week! I only got the chance to ride the bike park, but I did get a good chance to see the trails at skippers canyon. Some long, sick singletrack. There are plenty of bike shops and shuttle services. Definitely a must do whilst in QT. Enjoy.