Riding Rotorua

Danny B

Likes Dirt
If you're staying in Palmerston North why not do some riding around Wellington instead - Taupo is a fair hike from Palmy. Heaps of good riding around Wellington: Makara Peak, Miramar, Mt Victoria, Karapoti.

alpine_style

Likes Bikes
I live in Rotorua 3-4 months every year.

Jan thru to end of March is great riding weather. As mentioned, tracks drain really well and there is always something to session. Biggest issue is more with the occasional high winds as they do blow trees over, so on real windy days, be smart. On otherwise rain days, ride on. There is also a pretty sweet BMX and pump track near to town and a new uber monster pump track about to be built near to Pak 'n Save/opposite Hungary Jacks and the nearby petrol station.

The forest is 10-15 mins of cruisey riding on flattish road from the CBD. There is plenty of 'shoulder space' on the road for bikes and cars to share.

Generally, searching for best price accommodation can be found using Hotels.com

Plenty of grocery stores about town, you will find that food prices are generally cheaper than in Oz. Plenty of options to eat out as well, with Phat Dogs offering big servings. There are a number of chinese all-you-can-eats - on average, they aren't the best.

You can get any bike problems serviced pretty (relatively) cheap at any of the bike shops in town - they all have excellent mechanics with Bike Culture being the best of the best.

There is surely something for everyone in Rotorua. It ain't Whistler; but as far as community driven and uber friendly, it's the best place in the world to live if you want to ride everyday of the year.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I live in Rotorua 3-4 months every year.

Jan thru to end of March is great riding weather. As mentioned, tracks drain really well and there is always something to session. Biggest issue is more with the occasional high winds as they do blow trees over, so on real windy days, be smart. On otherwise rain days, ride on. There is also a pretty sweet BMX and pump track near to town and a new uber monster pump track about to be built near to Pak 'n Save/opposite Hungary Jacks and the nearby petrol station.

The forest is 10-15 mins of cruisey riding on flattish road from the CBD. There is plenty of 'shoulder space' on the road for bikes and cars to share.

Generally, searching for best price accommodation can be found using Hotels.com

Plenty of grocery stores about town, you will find that food prices are generally cheaper than in Oz. Plenty of options to eat out as well, with Phat Dogs offering big servings. There are a number of chinese all-you-can-eats - on average, they aren't the best.

You can get any bike problems serviced pretty (relatively) cheap at any of the bike shops in town - they all have excellent mechanics with Bike Culture being the best of the best.

There is surely something for everyone in Rotorua. It ain't Whistler; but as far as community driven and uber friendly, it's the best place in the world to live if you want to ride everyday of the year.
Sounds great. Thanks for the info. What bike would you suggest, Trance or Slayer. I am sure both would be fine. My dilema is the Trance handles pretty much everything the Slayer does coming down, it's just that the Slayer is waaaay more fun. Trance climbs with less effort though.

I just have to find someone to go with. Have heaps of mates who want to come, but can't for various reasons.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
I rode Rotorua for the first time between xmas and nye and hired bikes for me plus the GF from Cyclezone (Fenton st). Picked up a specialized stumpy FSR 29er for me, and a camber FSR 29er for the lady. Good service, prices ok, and picked up a $10 map which was all i needed to navigate! I'd highly recommend them!

I only had the one day there, although managed to get in 6 hours of riding, but jesus - i could totally spend a fortnight there and still not have had enough!

Toughy

Likes Bikes
I only had the one day there, although managed to get in 6 hours of riding, but jesus - i could totally spend a fortnight there and still not have had enough!
Sweet! Am heading there for a fortnight next month :clap2:

kevkayaker

Cannon Fodder
I was there in Feb/March last year and the weather was great. Enjoyed it so much went back for a week last Nov. Weather was a bit more mixed then but the tracks seem to dry out very quickly and well designed to drain. Most tracks are pretty smooth which I liked as a change from Cairns but there is one trail out the back which is a lot more natural and technical. Tree roots mostly and very scenic to boot but do it in the dry. It's part of the outback loop. They have a trail map printed on cloth called the Manky Thing for $10 which is great for stuffing in your pocket. You'll be getting it out quite often for the first couple of days. Look out for the shuttle bus that operates on w/e's and between 5pm and dark Tue and Thur. We stayed in a cabin at the Thermal Holiday Park which is only a couple of km from the trail head and they have hot pools to soak in after a hard days riding. Have fun.

donny70

Likes Dirt
Went last year on the middle of the 100k enduro. Awesome weather and trails. We were just told that we'd hear the cyclists coming and we could get out of the way. Although some of them just pulled off the track with us for a chat (and to get their wind back)

Going again this march and really looking forward to it. A bit of advice from one of the racers on the day was to go to the thermal baths in the town before you go cycling and your muscles would be less stiff after the ride.

I'm going to give it a go...

mtb_ts

Likes Bikes
I will be arriving in Rotorua on Saturday 11 Feb.

By way of information, Air NZ do a twice-weekly Sydney-Rotorua direct flight (& vv). So I'll be in the country til the end of the month if anyone wants to hook up & hit the trails.

My flight research has me recommending that others use Emirates in future, as they have a 30kg standard check baggage allowance. Air NZ provides 23kg as do many of the others.

loc81

Likes Dirt
I will be arriving in Rotorua on Saturday 11 Feb.

By way of information, Air NZ do a twice-weekly Sydney-Rotorua direct flight (& vv). So I'll be in the country til the end of the month if anyone wants to hook up & hit the trails.

My flight research has me recommending that others use Emirates in future, as they have a 30kg standard check baggage allowance. Air NZ provides 23kg as do many of the others.
Great advise regarding emirates flights. We took QANTAS over and returned emirates and they were very easy going with the bike boxes- none of the "take them over to the bulky goods area" crap either, just drop them at the usual check in spot.
Also, if there's 2 or more of you, have one person just wait at the side of the check in line up zing-zag with the bike boxes. Saves you dragging them through the line plus with emirates, they just called me and my wife straight through as they saw me hanging on the side. We skipped past around 50 people!

Bikes, booze, friends and music.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just got back from a week long tour with a commercial operator. Less said about the operator the better, but learnt plenty for next time.

We rode at Rotorua, Taupo, Napier and Woodhill. Rotorua had some big winds and rain, so after a day there we left to Taupo. Unfortunately the winds had smashed up the trails at Craters Of The Moon so can't comment on them. We rode W2K which was a nice ride. A bit of touring trail, except for the headland loop, which was great fun.
We left there and drove 3hrs to Napier, which was very wet but would have been pretty sweet if it was in better conditions.

We decided to spend what time we had left back at rotorua and had a day of the best riding you could imagine, riding the shuttles. The last day was wet, so we headed back to Auckland, where we had to fly out from, and checked out Woodhill just up the road. I would definately recommend checking it out. Lots and lots of timber in the forest if you are up for it.

Next time I would just ride at Rotorua and Woodhill on the way back. Took a Trance this time, but would like to take the Slayer next time and utilise the shuttles at Rotorua more. We did about 200km over the trip and about 4500m vertical, so make sure you are a strong climber if you want to check out the higher trails, which is where the good stuff is.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
I will be there in late december.

No mates or bikes so, Can anyone recommend a tour company or is it worth just doing a solo?

Assuming 26er is the def go for the type of trails?

Will prob get a day riding in, Does not look like the shuttle are running on Thur so will get some hill climbs in.

Might also be worth getting a skills course, Just did the Advance one at Rock and Roll (good company) however didn't really come out with anything. Any more upmarket courses or maybe one on one?

loc81

Likes Dirt

No mates or bikes so, Can anyone recommend a tour company or is it worth just doing a solo?

Will prob get a day riding in, Does not look like the shuttle are running on Thur so will get some hill climbs in.

Might also be worth getting a skills course, Just did the Advance one at Rock and Roll (good company) however didn't really come out with anything. Any more upmarket courses or maybe one on one?
From my experience (others may differ) there's no issue hiring a bike and going solo at the park. The staff will go nuts recommending rides and loops but with no shuttle (sadly been in that situation!) I'd try this loop for straight up value- after this you can dabble more down lower!
This will make lots more sense when you look at, and buy a map on site..

* Try and get round the back of the park to Tarawera Rd and hop of it onto the Hill Rd fire trail. This will take you to "frontal labotomy" which is just a heap of steep, very easy switchbacks that get you up to the shuttle drop off point.
* keep heading up and do either "Tuhoto Ariki" if you like technical, rooty back-country riding (stay away in the wet) or "Billy T" for fast flowy mayhem.
* From here get on to "Split Enz" then "pondy" then "roller coaster".
* find a map and a fire road (pipeline rd?) and grind up a little to hop back onto "Dragons Tail", then down the road a little to "mad if you don't".
* Waipa bypass Rd is flat and will get you back to the shop, toilets etc.

Taking your time, enjoying the views and the occasional photo will take up +4hrs. This is amazing value with or without a shuttle, trust me.
Grab lunch in town and pick whatever after that!

My blog: www.justmytype81.wordpress.com
Stuff about stuff I like- bikes, music, food and laughs. Subscribe.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A mate of mine hired a bike and guide from Planet Bikes (or something similar) for about $150 for half a day. Great value he reckoned.

peanut

Likes Dirt

I'd buy a manky(a map in the form of a hankey) and go solo(unless a tour offers several shuttles within the forest), most if not all bike shops sell them. It's fairly easy to navigate, all the trails are signposted, there's maps around the park with a "you are here "to get your bearings.
For Bike hire i'd recommend "the outdoorsman", difference with their bikes is they're well specced for the money(alot of places rent out entry level hardtails). Email various places and get prices though, $100 NZD should get you a 5-6 inch dually, most places don't advertise it but bikes get much cheaper for multi day hire.

Depending on your trail tastes your going to be climbing.... alot, so take your time. The big descending trails tend to start at each of the 5? peaks in the forest, i'd recommend the above loop, but add if starting at the main carpark, ride up the fireroad to katore road(dipper is a fun diversion on the way up). follow up to "a-trail", then onto to tickler. this takes you to the start of "be rude not to", "dragons tail" and bunny jugs.
Ride down bunny jugs 1 & 2, and follow onto the shuttle pickup point to get your bearings.
Head up morengi rd, then hill rd, up frontal labotamy, then as above.
on the way down i'd recommend after roller coaster going into spring roll and sweet and sour, this takes you to the start of dragons tail and be rude not to. either trail will get you to mad if you don't then onto the fireroad back to the start, you will probably be pretty shagged after this loop( about 3-4 hrs) and cover a lot of the must ride trails.
this site
http://www.riderotorua.com/index.php has a trail index, and various links.

one last thing...bring a raincoat, the weather is pretty unpredictable. The trails still ride great in the rain too, just be careful on the wet roots though.

donny70

Likes Dirt
They also rent decent bikes at the trail head in the car park. We got some Santa Cruz and some GTs the last time we were over.

dA_bOmBbIkE

Likes Dirt
Im heading to Rotorua this Jan and was good to pick up some info from this thread. Im going with my wife for two weeks. We are flying into Auckland and will spend a couple of days at wood hill then go to Rotorua and Taupo for some more fun.
Im going to take my Rocky mountain Altitude 5" bike and will attempt to ride everything on it (is a pretty capable bike), would have loved to take the DH bike as well but alas.
My wife is a keen rider but isn't super confident and she will be on a hard tail which I think will hold me back a lot (I will be doing a lot of solos too!)
What trails can you recommend for me to take the wife on- think flowy smooth trails to build confidence
Also we are going to be in a jucy van I have read a little on camping in NZ but for those who have done it how strict are they about sleeping the night in non designated camping areas etc?

loc81

Likes Dirt
Im going to take my Rocky mountain Altitude 5" bike and will attempt to ride everything on it (is a pretty capable bike), would have loved to take the DH bike as well but alas.
My wife is a keen rider but isn't super confident and she will be on a hard tail which I think will hold me back a lot (I will be doing a lot of solos too!)
What trails can you recommend for me to take the wife on- think flowy smooth trails to build confidence..
A 150mm bike would be a good sweet spot but the Rocky Mountain will be more than fine. On the loop I mentioned a few posts back, that was my first first of Rotorua and was unsure if what I was getting into when that shuttle buss just kept going up.. And up.. And up.
There was 4 of us- me, my wife and another couple. The girls were capable riders but still more on the "slow and steady" side, more-so too because of the unknown terrain, so us boys just shot down a section at a time, waited for the girls to catch up (you will see massive smiles) and took off again.
Like I said, the Billy T & Dplit Enz combo is such great value.

Skills wise, if your gal can tackle the odd root or steep-ish section (can duck back over her seat just slightly) then the hard tail won't really be a problem. 99% of times I was riding up to a blind spot and thought "shit- where is this going" I was completely wrong and just leant back a bit.

My blog: www.justmytype81.wordpress.com
Stuff about stuff I like- bikes, music, food and laughs. Subscribe.