Riding spots around great lake tas

kip01

Likes Dirt
Hey burners heading to Tasmania for work and have one free day to go riding are there any locals on here that might know of other riding spots near poatina or the great lake area all i can find online is Kate read any help appreciated

nathanm

Eats Squid
Hey burners heading to Tasmania for work and have one free day to go riding are there any locals on here that might know of other riding spots near poatina or the great lake area all i can find online is Kate read any help appreciated
Unfortunately it's in the middle of nowhere and I'm pretty sure there's no formed trails around the area.

tobbogonist

a registered member
I once had to go to the radio station in Poatina to fill in for a host, could not get out of there soon enough.
It was like something from a horror movie. Overly friendly positive religious types dripping with goodness, saying things like 'golly gosh' and 'heavens above' when they stubbed their toe.
A man gave me a branch of bananas and said I could keep the branch..
Some wierd things happened in those little isolated Tassie towns pre 1980 (on going up to around 2010 if you believe the stories) and the feeling of unease still hangs about.

kip01

Likes Dirt
I once had to go to the radio station in Poatina to fill in for a host, could not get out of there soon enough.
It was like something from a horror movie. Overly friendly positive religious types dripping with goodness, saying things like 'golly gosh' and 'heavens above' when they stubbed their toe.
Some wierd things happened in those little isolated Tassie towns pre 1980 (on going up to around 2010 if you believe the stories) and the feeling of unease still hangs about.
Yeah that's why I want to get out of there in my day off

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Some people have no sense of adventure.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Prolly best to head for Wild Mersey (Warrawee) or Kelsey Tier... both of those near Devonport. But you'll need to get up early and drive like I do.

Launceston is significantly closer if you're squeezed for time.
Kate Reed reserve is fun but not exactly challenging.
Trevallyn Reserve is big and has a bit of everything (my pick).

Which day?

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
No real formal trails around Poatina or Great Lake but the Tasmanian Trail goes through that area. I rode the full thing back in 2014.
https://www.tassietrails.org/tasmaniatral
The caves track is part of it. http://www.tassierambler.org/2010/11/caves-track.html
It was pretty rugged in 2014 and the top part was a hike a bike above the caves (sandstone overhangs really) the 2016 floods made a bit of a mess of it I hear.
There is also Butlers Gorge that's not too far away. Haven't ridden there myself so you will have to take John Dawson from Tassie Trails word for it.
https://www.tassietrails.org/routesandtrails/mountain-bike/butlers-gorge-lake-king-william

Check out Trailforks, it has the majority of the formal trails (and some informal;)) listed.