Riding the BNT in Victoria

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Hey y'all,

I'm wondering if anyone has ridden any part of the BNT in Victoria? from the route guide it says:

If you are capable of covering any of the Trail in Victoria you are capable of covering all of it for it is nearly all a series of long steep stony climbs either up or down.
The maps would suggest it's pretty lumpy, but wondering if anyone has real world experience with it? I fear many of the notes in the guide book are possibly based on a small population of the mountain bike community, or horse riders just guessing...

Cheers
Spoonie

monc

Likes Dirt
A couple of uni friends of mine rode the whole thing (Healesville to Cooktown) over a few months about ten years ago, so it is ridable. It does seem to be mostly on 4WD tracks rather than walking trail

I've driven some of it in the Big River-Knockwood-Lazarini Spur-Wonangatta area, and 'lumpy' is probably a fairly generous description. The track in that area is mostly rocky/dusty rutted 4wd track that is either going steeply up or steeply down - we found grades of 30 to 35% to be common, with some great waterbars - so fairly punishing riding.

The camp sites are recommended at distances that suit horses, so you could probably get more distance in a day depending on how much you wanted to push yourself.

Not sure which edition of the guidebook you're looking at, but a lot of the advice for riders that I've seen is about 15 years old and is not aimed at serious mountain bikers, but more touring riders with rigid mountain bikes.

We've been contemplating doing the section from Healesville to Omeo, the thing that's stalling us at the moment (apart from laziness), is that while it goes through some beautiful country, it doesn't go through the most spectacular parts of the Vic Alps. This is because it was set up to be a horse-riding trail, so it generally stays out of the National Park. We've thought of using it as a base route and deviating into some more interesting areas.

Last edited:

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Not sure which edition of the guidebook you're looking at, but a lot of the advice for riders that I've seen is about 15 years old and is not aimed at serious mountain bikers, but more touring riders with rigid mountain bikes
Yeah this is what I figured. 50-60km days is their guide. I was thinking more like 160km days.

We've been contemplating doing the section from Healesville to Omeo, the thing that's stalling us at the moment (apart from laziness), is that while it goes through some beautiful country, it doesn't go through the most spectacular parts of the Vic Alps. This is because it was set up to be a horse-riding trail, so it generally stays out of the National Park. We've thought of using it as a base route and deviating into some more interesting areas.
Perhaps a Bikers Alternate route needs to be mapped with less lumpy bits/more rideable lumpy bits. repeated 30-35% climbs are pretty unfriendly if they're long 30-35% climbs. 30% is probably the edge of being rideable at all. A friend of mine has ridden Moto's in the area and suggested there's much nicer/better riding routes that get to the same destinations.

I'd be interested in hearing your experience if you do make it happen... I'm curious to know what state things would be in over that area post bush fires too.

Cheers
Spoonie