Riding while pregnant

giant rock

Likes Bikes
Just wandering who here has ridden their bike while being pregnant??? Hubby has asked about having another baby and I am not sure when I want one on one hand I would have one just that I have started to ride the bike and am enjoying it and wanting to get better and faster but I am 30 turning 31 in January next year. And on the other hand I keep on thinking should I have the next baby and then get more serious after having baby number 2 as that will be the last one.... Oh I don't know what to do and I keep on thinking about it hmmmmmmmm HELP

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi Giant Rock! Ahhh a lady close to my own age!! I'm 29.

When I had my first I was into riding (I was 24) - nothing too serious just used to ride often and push myself hard. Needless to say when I got pregnant Hubby didn't want me to ride too much or maybe at all - it was a point of contention. I can tell you my fingers were crossed big time when I asked the local doctor, if I had got a "no" from him I would have been pretty angry to say the least, but I had to ask to keep the concerned Hubby happy. In the end I think our general idea was to take it easy and stop once the knees started hitting the belly:D

Really it depends on what your family is like, if your partner understands your need for riding and if he would be willing to look after two kids whilst you head out for your fix. Yes I lost a few years of riding due to breastfeeding, not having family around and having a Hubby who worked away often. But he would be happy for me to go out for an hour or so riding when both kids were having their naps - usually around mid day though which was the hottest part of the day (we lived in the hotter part of Aus then). But yes I did the whole child seat on the back of the bike too, and if you have kids there are the trailers - but I never went down that path.

If having two kids is your goal then I probably wouldn't put it off on account of wanting to ride, you might get more serious and really get into it then find at that point that maybe another child would be even more inconvenient? If you "get the kids out of the way" then should you pursue racing they can grow up on the trail side playing in the bush, and just maybe develop a passion for the sort too:D

Mine are now 4 & nearly 6, and thus I have more time to pursue the riding again and get back to some reasonable fitness which I have let slide a bit. How old is your first child? I'm guessing you were thinking of having a fairly close age gap between them?

Last edited:

giant rock

Likes Bikes
My son is almost 3yrs old and I do the whole baby on the bike thing but am thinking that he may be getting a little big and heavy but I can still cope with him on the back. God it is such a hard decision to make have another now or wait a little bit longer. It took me about 6 months before I fell pregnant the first time so maybe it will take that long again. If he had of asked me about 6 months ago I probably would have said yes lets have another..........

Megs:)

Likes Dirt
I agree with Pebble.
I had my kids pretty young (21,23 and 25) and now I'm 33. I only started riding a year ago but I'm glad I now have my thirties unhampered by childbearing to really get into it. Another advantage of having them earlier rather than later, as Pebble mentioned, is that my kids are into it too so I can ride with them. The oldest one at 11 is now nearly as fast as me!
I'd say, if you know you're going to have another baby sometime (and I'd highly recommend it because only children suffer with no siblings to play with), then there's no time like the present, because the further apart they are, the longer you are going to need on or the other of them to be looked after while you ride. If you bite the bullet now, you'll be on the other side of the pregnancy body sooner!
If you don't and you start getting good on the bike, you'll be more annoyed having to stop.
I continued surfing until about 16 weeks and jogged up to about the same stage but kept swimming and playing tennis and walking briskly up until the birth of my kids. I reckon biking is way more pregnancy friendly than running was for me. Just don't get your heart rate up anywhere near where you would take it normally.
Probably not over 140 beats/minute or so.
People say women peak in their 30s anyway, so having your kids in your 20s is the way to go (if you can, obviously).
Good luck!

giant rock

Likes Bikes
Unfortunately I turn 31 in January next year. It is just that I am really enjoying riding my bike and having some of that me time and doing what I want. Maybe I am being a little selfish or a lot......

sunny

Likes Dirt
Hi giant rock
I had mine when I was 24 and 26. Used to ride with the older one (she was 2 at the time) on the back until I was about 36-37 weeks pregnant (what started out as a 25 minute ride took me about 45 minutes at the end).
The bike gathered dust for 7-8 months after that, but then managed to get out riding quite a bit and I was starting to have some serious fun. The bike has taken a back seat again for the last 12 months, but I'm looking at getting back into it seriously again when I go part-time.
I'm looking forward to not needing baby sitters, or being able to ride while they're both at school - only a year away....
Even if the bike needs to take the backseat for a little while, you'll always be able to get into it.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Whaaaat, you only have one kid and you think you need me time... .. no I'm just kidding, juuust kidding!:D

I don't think it's selfish, I reckon even most Dads will admit that taking care of a child full time is a lot harder then going off to paid work. The "me time" riding I find is good for the body and the soul and it probably makes you a better and less cranky Mum.

Hmm 3yr old, I think it's toughest until they get to around 5, it's funny how that seems to coincide with full time school:p

Have you considered child care?
I started my kids from around the age of 2 (or 2.5?) just two days a week. It can be hard initially but I've found they really get to love it, they have the interaction and activities I probably wouldn't provide and it gives me some time to get things done and go for a ride if I desire, especially when Hubby is not home. Not to mention it makes the whole transition of going to school a lot easier, particularly if you are living in a smaller place where they are likely to meet some of the future classmates whilst at the child care.

Of course that doesn't exactly help your "to have or not to have" issue!

I'm at the stage where my youngest goes to Kindy (known as Preschool in some ther states) next year, and I find I'm really loving other peoples babies now - kind of like being clucky but definitely knowing I don't want another of my own!

My sister in law and brother in law are both 35 and have just had their first baby. I don't see any problem with waiting a few more years but I personally wouldn't want to wait too much longer. It depends on your ideas too - I mean my husband is 36 and he wanted to have kids asap so they would be out of the house before we got too old to go and travel and enjoy life after kids so to speak. But he also has the notion that they will move out when they turn 18, I'm being a bit more realistic!

giant rock

Likes Bikes
My little monster starts pre school next year for just 1 day to begin with and then he can go 2 days in the following term. We will just see how things go first. As for now I am getting frustrated as I found a group to go out with on the road bike and the last 2 Saturdays there has been no one their. So annoying especially when no one lets you know. As for the kid situation it is doing my head in and driving me bonkers........... It can be such a big step to take where before I could not wait to have Riley and he is such a handful.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
he is such a handful.
Ahah! So you must be due to have an angel nex:D

But then again it could be like me, and you get a girl next who is as stubborn as her parents and even more of a handful!

You know everyone seems to want at least 2 kids, it's funny how there is still the whole one child stigma still around. We accepted pretty early on that whatever happens happens.

In some ways life is too short, maybe I worry too much some times, we're both from small families and I sometimes thing that at least if we dropped off the perch the kids would have each other.

It's quite funny in the early years before marriage & kids we were throwing some numbers around, and we thought we'd have 7 or 9 kids because a big family would be good to have, we even brought a troop carrier after we got married - actually straight after the honeymoon:eek:. Hmmmm well that number got shrunk down after the first was born and reality of parenthood came! How young & naive we must have been.

I suppose anther thing you have to consider is if you want more than two kids? Around here everyone seems to be going for 3 - not me!

joeyjoblah

Likes Bikes
You know everyone seems to want at least 2 kids, it's funny how there is still the whole one child stigma still around.
What do you mean by the one child stigma? Why do you think that is?

I know that personally, one child seems so much more manageable, but I happen to know that parents with only one kid tend to be difficult parents in law.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I mean like if you're an only child you don't learn to share etc etc, in the past I think there was a bit of a "stigma" if that's the right word? Kind of like only children being pre-judged in terms of personality in that they might grow up to be self centered or selfish adults.
You're right I guess it's not really the case these days, but sometimes you get the sense that even these days people still don't want to have just one child so that the child doesn't grow up without a sibling for various reasons including purely just so they don't have to be an only child.

GrooveJet

Likes Bikes
my 2 cents

I don't have kids so take this with a grain of salt :)

I guess if you are going to have another kid, would it be wise to plan the pregnancy so you aren't 8 months pregnant at the beginning or middle of summer...daylight savings? I guess this would give you more riding time when you are at the beginning of the pregnancy and you would be less likely ?? to ride whilst heavily pregnant in winter?

meh, I don't know if this makes sense, but it's the first thing I though of :D
I havent articulated it very well though.

giant rock

Likes Bikes
Pebble, I know what you mean about the only child thing. I went to school with a girl who was an only child and life for her was not the same ie she did not know how to share and she was always spoilt. Not saying that all only children are spoilt just that I saw first hand this one particluar girl. But at this day an age it seems to be that everyone at least has 2 children and hopefully a pigeon pair. Raising children is a hard job though I can say that but I also love every minute with my son........

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is nothing like having a child of your own to realise how "selfish" you've been as a person. When you have to devote yourself to the new little being I guess the material things just don't seem so important any more.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Speaking from the male point of view, i can only offer advice based upon the actions of my female friends:

I've had a number of friends who have been quite fine riding while pregnant. One was still downhilling at 14 weeks (not that she or I would recommend that).

Another friend was just doing the casual ride around on bike paths to keep up her fitness and was still happily treddlying till at least 36 weeks.

Your mileage may vary. Really depends on how drastically your centre of gravity shifts with the arrival of the bump. Obviously you'll be wanting to reduce any activity that will put you or your little one at risk. In precisely the same way as you wouldn't be jumping down stairs two at a time because it's a pointless risk.

See how you go and what you feel comfortable with. You're pregnant, not a house bound invalid. Important to still have a life, just be sensible.

Drew

Megs:)

Likes Dirt
I mean like if you're an only child you don't learn to share etc etc, in the past I think there was a bit of a "stigma" if that's the right word?
You're right I guess it's not really the case these days...
These days????
Do you mean kids are generally less likely to be spoilt than they were in the past?

I don't agree, especially in the case of only children. I know heaps of them and i reckon most have issues of one kind or another that are much less common in kids with siblings. Many are spoilt rotten but even if they aren't they are often extremely precocious because with no other kids around, they can be treated more like little adults than they should be or conversely, they can be really woosy if they are treated more like babies than they should be. And the further apart your kids are spaced, the more like only children they will be.

Having more than one child balances up your family. With just one kid, you and your partner outnumber them and they can get 2 adults attention most of the time. Two is better, because they learn that there are other people in the family who are also important, not just me, me, me! Three or more is, I think, even better for learning to share the parent's attention (and share everything else!). You also become a better parent, because for each issue that comes up, you feel like "Well, this is going to happen for the next kid too, so I'd better develop a strategy or a rule for this". I think many single child families have no real parenting strategies at all, whereas parents of lots of kids know they can't parent without them. (No offence intended, Giant Rock, I'm sure you are a great mum and there is no reason to suggest your 3 year old is anything but gorgeous just because they are still an only child! :))

We have 3 kids, and last week 2 of them were away at school camp. It was terrible!!! I couldn't wait till they came back. Much as it was nice to have a bit of quality time with my youngest one, she was unbearably bored without the others to play with and I realised just how much time they normally spend hanging out in the garden playing together. At dinner time she kept interrupting us, which the kids all know is rude and they don't normally do. I think she just felt that since she was the only kid there, she could just talk and we would just drop everything and listen to her.

Its true that a second kid will make your life slightly more difficult at first, but remember you know how to do everything now. I know when my 2nd one was born I imagined going back to the lifestyle I needed when my first was born (ie. basically needing quite a lot of help). What i hadn't realised is that its way easier the second time. I know with my 3rd one I could be breastfeeding with one arm, making the dinner with the other and still juggle answering the phone etc no worries! And by the time they are a little bigger, things are easier because your kid will have someone to play with other than you.

No matter whether you are pregnant or not, I still think your "me time" on the bike is essential to staying happy and healthy. And you can probably get it just as easily whether you are pregnant or not, as long as you make it a priority. One thing I used to do was get together with a friend and we'd mind each other's kids, taking turns to go out for a bit of exercise. It worked out really well and the kids became great friends too.

Why don't you stop using contraception and just see what happens - its a super easy way to make the decision! :)

p2321

Squid
It's quite funny in the early years before marriage & kids we were throwing some numbers around, and we thought we'd have 7 or 9 kids because a big family would be good to have, we even brought a troop carrier after we got married - actually straight after the honeymoon:eek:. Hmmmm well that number got shrunk down after the first was born and reality of parenthood came! How young & naive we must have been.

I suppose anther thing you have to consider is if you want more than two kids? Around here everyone seems to be going for 3 - not me!
Coming from a larger family (and being an eldest child), you'd be surprised how much less difficult it becomes as you go on, provided there's enough of a gap between kidlets. The elder ones will help out (especially if being allowed to help with the littlies is presented as a special privilege for being more "grown up"). I'm also very conscious of a difference in maturity levels between myself and those of my peers who didn't have to help with younger siblings, so I feel as though I benefitted from the experience too. That said, I had an awful lot more responsibility than most elder siblings.

Big families can be a lot of fun, especially if you have the room and the funds.

Back on topic, I've never been pregnant, but I would guess that if you take it gently, the exercise would be beneficial, while you're still able. As someone else said, you're pregnant, not a house-bound invalid. Maybe get a wider seat and a suspension seatpost, for a little extra protection from road/track shock, and know your limits.

Good luck!

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We have 3 kids, and last week 2 of them were away at school camp. It was terrible!!! I couldn't wait till they came back. Much as it was nice to have a bit of quality time with my youngest one, she was unbearably bored without the others to play with and I realised just how much time they normally spend hanging out in the garden playing together. At dinner time she kept interrupting us, which the kids all know is rude and they don't normally do. I think she just felt that since she was the only kid there, she could just talk and we would just drop everything and listen to her.
I think there are positives and drawbacks in both cases, weather you have single children (are a shingle child) or you have more than one.
Different people can see different situations from a different point of view or perspective too. Take your example, one could say that having an only child would teach them more independence, and they would also probably tend to prefer more mature or adult company.

I completely relate to your point though - since my Son is at Pre-Primary for 5 days a week now the initial adjustment for my daughter still at home was a bit funny, she didn't know what to do with herself. Being by herself not having the bigger brother telling her what to do all the time. But she is accustomed to it now and will happily play with her toys, and I enjoy the peace until my Son comes home and the fights start! Sometimes they can play really nicely for ages, other times they can be real little turds. You got to love them though!

In the end I guess it's all about balance, depending on the kids and depending on the parents. I suppose having children with a bigger gap apart from each other would let you give them more individual attention, but on the other hand they may never grow up to be as close to each other either.
Me personally, I don't think I would have the patience for more than 2 kids, probably barely have the patience at times to deal with these two. Some people are probably naturally better parents - I'll happily say that!

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Megs,

Frankly, some of the most unpleasant and selfish brats I've ever had the displeasure to be associated with have been from regular families with multiple kids. One the oldest of four, one the second youngest of four, one the middle of three and one the junior of two. In all cases, they were pretty close in ages (within 2 years of their siblings).

To me, this tends to suggest that selfishness and an attitude of being the centre of attention all the time tends to be more about how one is parented than it is about how many siblings you have.

That said, I'm glad our daughter goes to childcare and has to battle it out with 12 or more other kids so she learns about sharing and not being the only person that matters in the room.

But I wouldn't suggest for a second that poor parenting skills with regard to teaching your kids to share can be solved simply by making another kid to fill the noise space in the household.

Last edited: