Riding with cancer

dw-link

Likes Dirt
yeah your a legend. to have that sickness and to fight that problem and also race just shocked me, hope all the treatment goes well good luck:);)

As a medical professional I find that comment very offensive and ignorant.
However, I don't want to hijack this guys thread so I'll just stop now.
comment not directed at medical professionals and not intended to be offensive, directed at large pharmaceutical corporations of whose priorities and morals i find questionable. As for ignorance- in the interests of not turning this into a large scale debate which we dont really need another of im not going to bite.

so as i said, im not looking for an arguement, i just feel that if i was in the same position i would certainly be interested in the alternatives to chemo.
Im not trying to sell the idea to anyone, if you're interested research it and make up your own mind...

MrSafety

Likes Dirt
Heard some static from my stepmother (who's a doctor), if you do 1/2 hour active exercise a day you chance of getting rid of the cancer increases by 50%. Apparently it's quite likely that active people get cancer and then get rid of it without even noticing. Might food for thought? It was a while ago now so don't hold me to it. Good Luck.

prklcd

Likes Dirt
Mate best of luck

While racing might not be the best idea, going for a short ride in your suburb etc when you feel up to it I am sure will help.

Arete

Likes Dirt
comment not directed at medical professionals and not intended to be offensive, directed at large pharmaceutical corporations of whose priorities and morals i find questionable. As for ignorance- in the interests of not turning this into a large scale debate which we dont really need another of im not going to bite.

so as i said, im not looking for an arguement, i just feel that if i was in the same position i would certainly be interested in the alternatives to chemo.
Im not trying to sell the idea to anyone, if you're interested research it and make up your own mind...
By definition, alternative therapies are therapies not proven to work, or proven not to work. Therapies which have been proven to work through replicatable and measurable testing are called medicine.

While pharmaceutical companies have been responsible for some of the world's most reprehensible acts, I personally consider that selling someone who needs aggressive chemo and radio therapies some crystals, magnets and herbs with no proven effect at exorbitant prices to be far worse.

As for the OP, I'll echo the other posters in saying you're inspirational. Listen to your oncologist and other doctors and your body. My mum went through some extreme cancer therapy several years ago for liver cancer. She was barely able to function during the therapy, let alone participate in sport. Pushing yourself while going through it might making healing slower.

Giving the season a miss and healing up might end up being better for you and your riding in the long run, and bikes will always be there next year. But if you can, good on you.

By definition, alternative therapies are therapies not proven to work, or proven not to work. Therapies which have been proven to work through replicatable and measurable testing are called medicine.

While pharmaceutical companies have been responsible for some of the world's most reprehensible acts, I personally consider that selling someone who needs aggressive chemo and radio therapies some crystals, magnets and herbs with no proven effect at exorbitant prices to be far worse.
no exorbinant prices, just fresh raw vegetables or eating the kernel inside the seed of the peach you just ate, or perhaps even exercise like mr safety recommended. just possibilities worth looking into- personally aggressive chemo is about the last thing in the world id ever want to go through.

Topple's

Likes Bikes
no exorbinant prices, just fresh raw vegetables or eating the kernel inside the seed of the peach you just ate, or perhaps even exercise like mr safety recommended. just possibilities worth looking into- personally aggressive chemo is about the last thing in the world id ever want to go through.
Just be wary. As I said in my first post I use some alternative therapies. At the start of my journey (after diagnosis, before chemo) I tried the fruit diet. I lost over 10kg in 2 weeks. I dropped it because I couldn't get enough energy in to maintain body weight.
Use alternative therapies (I use supplements every day), but just be careful

Jared #620

Likes Bikes
Just for an update. I'm halfway through treatment which means I've done 4 months and have 4 months to go and going against what most people told me I'm still racing. I won my first vic series race at yack in november after my second lot of treatment. I'm not having anywhere near as many problems with my skin, my blood counts, infections or with nausea as everyone thought, I've even put on 4 kilo's since the start of treatment, which the oncologist said he's never seen before (especially with the strength of the drugs they're giving me).
So things couldn't be much better as far as treatment goes.

Lukas

Likes Dirt
Good to hear you are on good track.
My mum she has Leukemia which is similar sh*t like cancer. went under chemo few months ago and still riding MTB 3x times a week about 30-40 km. She just loves riding and she will ride till she will be able to ride no matter what's happening with her cells.

Jared #620

Likes Bikes
Just another update
I had P.E.T scans last week (similar to a ct scan) that showed absolutely no sign of cancer so the doctors are amazed that it's completely gone even though i still had almost 4 months of treatment to go so just to be safe i'm still having another 2 months worth. Also my mum invited my oncologist to come the presntation day at the end of the season simply because they can say that they've cured someone but they never actually get to see the smile on their face when they're doing something they love and know that they're still there doing it because of them.

Last edited:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Just another update
I had P.E.T scans last week (similar to a ct scan) that showed absolutely no sign of cancer so the doctors are amazed that it's completely gone even though i still had almost 4 months of treatment to go so just to be safe i'm still having another 2 months worth. Also my mum invited my oncologist to come the presntation day at the end of the season simply because they can say that they've cured someone but they never actually get to see the smile on their when they're doing something they love and know that they're still there doing it because of them.
That's friggin great mate! Just unf*ckin'real. Well done

Scotty-Robbo

Likes Dirt
Good on you mate
my aunty died of Leukemia on my first birthday.
Lucky to see you win the battle good job
Your an inspiration

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Just another update
I had P.E.T scans last week (similar to a ct scan) that showed absolutely no sign of cancer so the doctors are amazed that it's completely gone even though i still had almost 4 months of treatment to go so just to be safe i'm still having another 2 months worth. Also my mum invited my oncologist to come the presntation day at the end of the season simply because they can say that they've cured someone but they never actually get to see the smile on their face when they're doing something they love and know that they're still there doing it because of them.
Incredible to hear. I'm so stoked for you dude!

nick_dales

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Massive congratulations dude, I'm so happy to hear that you've done so well in your battle. I'm really impressed you were able to continue doing what you love.

Love hearing a good story like this.

taquar

Likes Dirt
Mate, I'm so glad to hear of your success! You really are an inspiration, cause you're dedicated to the sport and willing to keep it up no matter what.

Congratulations! :D