Riding with the dogs

Dougy

Likes Dirt
Did he stop and lie down in the middle of the trail causing you to crash so you thought you'd take a pic while down there?. Just speaking from experience.

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
That's awesome. I'm trying to train my 18 month old Kelpie x Boarder to follow the bike but she's still so distracted and wants to be in front all the time.

Any tips on training a trail dog to follow the bike? She's a good dog but has a little problem of not coming back when called especially if she see a roo or rabbit.

I've done all my training with her at night with a really long flexi lead so she doesn't get as distracted and the light from my ay ups is all that she can use as a guide.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Took my staffy for a ride.........once. When I stopped to let the tub-o-lard catch up she chewed my rear tyre off. We both had to walk back to the ute.

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
Hmm this dog is pretty awesome at riding. Didn't really do any 'bike' training. Before we headed out she knew how to sit and stay which helped.

So sometimes I let her lead as she knows the loop we do pretty well and she can set the pace as I feel bit sorry for her trying to keep up on the downs and she is only young and with border collie i've heard they shouldn't be pushed too much under 18months. But if its some single track and I want to have some fun I tell her to stay, get in front of her, then she will follow instead and i'll wait at the bottom for her. I find the first few KM she leads and runs ahead a bit then gets bit tired and likes to follow instead.

She kinda just seems to know what needs to be done and is focused on the course more than what's around her. Some bastard of a dog attacked her the other day on the ironbark ride even though I was stopped and had her by my side.

Sometimes she is stupid though and crosses my path and makes it difficult but that seems pretty rare. It's kinda cool though after a few loops she knows all the tracks we take.

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Yeah sounds like I just need to trust her to follow me once she gets a bit tired and starts to lag behind.

Thanks for the advice.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cool pic, cute little dog. My mate has a cattle dog that was able to do 70km training runs with us. The thing was an animal! haha

I've tried taking my rottie for a run but she's not really built for it and to be honest I don't think it's good for her.

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
If you're running 70kms you're the animal.

Cool pic, cute little dog. My mate has a cattle dog that was able to do 70km training runs with us. The thing was an animal! haha

I've tried taking my rottie for a run but she's not really built for it and to be honest I don't think it's good for her.

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
Yep its a challenge with kids hey.. Being able to combine exercising the dog with mtbing is working out pretty sweet. Sure beats taking it for a walk in the morning.
Can't wait til my kids are old enough to come along too.

Jerry Atrick

Likes Bikes
we are about to take ownership of a 1yo puppy and im hoping to be able to teach him to follow me on the trails.
but being a malamute, hes a BIG stubborn dog, unless there is food on offer.
im expecting quite a few bruises while practising in the park :p

I might be able to train him to pull me home when i get tied :p

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have heard Malamutes are quite notorious for running off and not coming back, so I'd make sure he's well trained! They have a very strong prey instinct.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Just get your dog to ride a bike with you? I wonder how much training this takes?

[video=youtube;Vdto2MAsU0s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdto2MAsU0s[/video]