riding without headlock (tech help needed, second page)

Chilli

Likes Dirt
today, as i was tightening up my headlock, the threaded bit out of the starnut just ripped out and result = no topcap clamp.

i want to ride over the weekend, so the question is; would it be stupid to go out and ride minus headlock and buy another one later, or to go straight out and buy a new one before i go anywhere near the bike?

any suggestions for alernatives are welcome too

cheers

Last edited:

W2ttsy

Likes Dirt
"hi, my name is Chilli, and i like it when my stem rips off mid jump and the steerer rips thru my abdomen"

personally, since a topcap and bolt will set you back no more than $10 id just get on tomorrow morning.. the LBS will be open till lunch at least..

unless you have a 1.5 steerer and need the fancy e13 reducer, you should be right for getting one...

better than the stem twisting on the steerer mid corner, or coming off completely...

W2ttsy

hardtail free rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
W2ttsy said:
"hi, my name is Chilli, and i like it when my stem rips off mid jump and the steerer rips thru my abdomen"

personally, since a topcap and bolt will set you back no more than $10 id just get on tomorrow morning.. the LBS will be open till lunch at least..

unless you have a 1.5 steerer and need the fancy e13 reducer, you should be right for getting one...

better than the stem twisting on the steerer mid corner, or coming off completely...

W2ttsy
wow mate your way off!

the only thing your star nut and top cap (or stem lock if ya cool :D ...like me) do is allow you to do up you headset tight. once you have done up your stem it is not doin sqat. the only problem it that you cant actually do up your headset tight enough with out it. so unless you have some very very long bolts and 2 bits of wood to do it. just get off your ass and buy one.

that or use a mates to do it up every so often...just incase :wink:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
In my opinion it would be fine and I've done it many times before. The top cap is purely to load the bearings correctly I think and is not a security device. Whats the big deal any way,in theory your bars will either turn if theres a problem (with a top cap)or come off in your hands(without one) ,either will cause you to crash anyway.

bighitter

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know quite a few people who run their bikes all the time without a top cap/starnut etc...

They use a compression nut, and then remove it, it also looks cool being able to see the ground when riding ;)

Chilli

Likes Dirt
No Skid Marks said:
In my opinion it would be fine and I've done it many times before. The top cap is purely to load the bearings correctly I think and is not a security device.
i kind of figured it was just a backup for the stem clamp on the steerer, i just had to know wether or not it did anything else. i wasnt intending to go on any epic rides before replacing it, just enough to burn away the memories of the working week.

there have been some mixed reponses so far so keep em coming

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Just ride the fucking thing.

As long as you can get the headset adjusted properly, tighten up the stem bolts and you'll be fine. The top cap and star nut do NOTHING once adjusted.

Ben

Rik

logged out
Just to add, topcaps are for bearing preload only, yes... but how much security will the add?
Well, tighten your stem up. Now undo the bolts probably half a turn or so, to mimick them working loose whilst riding (which should never happen anyway), and try and pull the stem off. I bet that unless you have a crap stem, it'll be near impossible to slide the stem off unless you slide it perfectly parallel with the axis of the steerer. And yeh, stem bolts can't come loose if they were done up tight anyway.

luckyphil

Likes Dirt
bighitter said:
They use a compression nut, and then remove it, it also looks cool being able to see the ground when riding ;)

umm, i use a top cap and i can see the ground when i ride too :p

tu plang

knob
Chilli said:
i kind of figured it was just a backup for the stem clamp on the steerer, i just had to know wether or not it did anything else. i wasnt intending to go on any epic rides before replacing it, just enough to burn away the memories of the working week.

there have been some mixed reponses so far so keep em coming
as has been said, its there to load the bearings, not to hold the stem on at all. its fine to ride without one as long as you can get your headset adjusted correctly, otherwise you are going to ruin your headset.

Chilli

Likes Dirt
alright, i finally got off my arse and bought a new starnut.
as has been said, its just for getting the headset cosy and for added security, but id feel a whole lot better with it in there.

so next question, ive got it, how do i go about putting it back in? ive never had to get a starnut down the steerer before. first instinct was to simply grab a hammer and a tube wrench and beat the crap out of it until it went in, what little common sense i have told me this would probably be a bad idea.

so impart upon me your knowledge, so that i dont go and ruin everything.

thanks again
chilli

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
Chilli said:
alright, i finally got off my arse and bought a new starnut.
as has been said, its just for getting the headset cosy and for added security, but id feel a whole lot better with it in there.

so next question, ive got it, how do i go about putting it back in? ive never had to get a starnut down the steerer before. first instinct was to simply grab a hammer and a tube wrench and beat the crap out of it until it went in, what little common sense i have told me this would probably be a bad idea.

so impart upon me your knowledge, so that i dont go and ruin everything.

thanks again
chilli
the starnut has to go in perfectly straight or else it will shit itself. your LBS (is it mals by any chance?) WILL have the correct tool for putting it in perfectly straight so it won't slip an shit.

Chilli

Likes Dirt
donthucktoflat said:
the starnut has to go in perfectly straight or else it will shit itself. your LBS (is it mals by any chance?) WILL have the correct tool for putting it in perfectly straight so it won't slip an shit.
thanks dhtf i was thinking there might be a tool for this sort of thing. and, yeah, mals is the shop ive used for some time now and they've always done right by me [/SHAMELESS PLUG] stopped in to mals today to try to snag one of those full-length steerer style headlocks but after going there and three other places, and not finding one, i just gave up and went the ol' starnut way.

thanks again everyone
chilli

Last edited: