Rim advice please?

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
Hey all,

Had some serious damage to my rims on the weekend thanks to the Maldon rocks, and was after some advice about replacing them.

Presently they are "Spank Tweet" rims, on a Hope rear hub (135 X 10) and Nukeproof front hub (12mm). I have been advised to get the new MAVIC ex823's, but I cant seem to find them anywhere (inc. CRC) except Aus "official" distributors which I'm sure are ripping me off...

Also, I assume I'll also need spokes (?) - how do I know if I'm ordering the correct length/thread for the hub/rim combination? Has anyone done this combo before?

I'm pretty confident I can lace them up all good once I have the correct parts...

Thanks for any help you can give?

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That is the only place you are going to find them. CRC don't sell Mavic rims directly. You can get them in a custom build but you can't buy them outright (exept last year around Christmas time, which was awesome). The Mavic 721 are just as good rims, but cheaper. I prefer them over my 729's as they are lighter, and i haven't managed to but any dings in them, even after 6 months extra riding. By the time you pay for Labour, you could get a set of Mavics on brand new hubs posted from CRC for the same price.

Shredden

Knows his goats
I like my 721s, I know they are super light and I was expecting to be replacing the rear every few races when I bought them.

I too destroyed my rear at Maldon, the flat left hander before the double in the middle I rode off the track and over a big stump at pretty high speed. Broke 4 nipples and cracked the rim at the join a little and a tiny bit at an eyelet. I got some new nipples and Ill keep riding it until it seperates but yeah, it definitely took a decent hit to break it.

Try ebay for mavic?

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
All sorted...

Thanks guys,

I've now found someone in Sydney (MTB Wanabe here on RB) that can do the whole job (inc. labour) for $450 + P&H - saves me stuffing up the build, and it is MUCH less than the quote I got here in Melb ($600).

Love the RB community...