Rim ID for a 120mm 29er duallie

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I've sold the Reign and would like to look at a wider wheelset for the Spark that presently runs 23mm ID rims. They are just a bit flexy for me. I'll keep them for a backup set. Is 30mm Overkill for a 2.3 tyre? Maxxis say so anyway.... Or should I look at about 25-27mm? I'm only looking alloy and there are some great deals about at the moment so I thought I'd ask the braintrust.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Is 30mm Overkill for a 2.3 tyre?
If you're talking 30mm internal width - then IMO yes - I had a 2.3 Minion SS on a 30mm internal rim, and it was basically flat across the top. I get that's partly the tread pattern of the tyre, but yeah - still too square.

I put a 2.3 DHF on a 19.5mm internal rim the other day, and too be honest it's not too bad, and still handled well. This was on a hardtail so obviously not plowing through rocks or sending huge jumps. Anything ~25mm internal would be golden at a guess...

creaky

XMAS Plumper
25 to 30mm would be my comfort zone for a 2.3/2.35
Huge variances between tyre designs for the same state width though so some may give you a better profile than others on the 30mm rim.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Huge variances between tyre designs for the same state width though so some may give you a better profile than others on the 30mm rim.
Ooops I was skim-reading at work - I though the OP was talking specifically Maxxis (non-WT) 2.3's. Yeah, some 2.3's will happily mount on 30mm internal rims with little to no downsides.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Ooops I was skim-reading at work - I though the OP was talking specifically Maxxis (non-WT) 2.3's. Yeah, some 2.3's will happily mount on 30mm internal rims with little to no downsides.
I was. I read an article wriiten by "Maxxis" saying that a 30mm rim was too wide for a 2.3. 25-2.5 was perfect. Thanks Peeps. I think I'll look at about 25mm. I generally run a 2.3 ish EXO maxxis of some sort.