rim width and tyre profile, 32 vs 36 hole

CHEWY

Eats Squid
hey hey
whats the deal with rim widths and how they influence the shape and width of the tyre. ie, if i put a 3" tyre on a 40mm rim as opposed to a 25mm rim, whats he tyre gonna be like?
and what r the pros and cons of 32 or 36 hole rims. i have a 32 hole XT hub and was thinking would it be worth it to build up a new wheel on it, any thoughts?
cheers

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok pretty much all it does is widen out the tyre at he base "at the rim", by doing this the tyre is given a flatter profile, insteas of being more rounded if it was on a skinier rim, if u catch my drift?

Im running a 2.7 high roller on a dice twofour and and the side wall are alomost verticle instead of curved as this rim is fairly wide(40mm)

hope this helps. :)

wombat

Lives in a hole
Yeah, rim width isn't a huge consideration unless you're running pretty big tyres, and all that it does is give the tyre a slightly better profile, making it less prone to tyre roll (and please, no jokes about tyres being meant to "roll").

As for the spoking, well generally the more spokes in the wheel, the stroger it should be, as the rim is more supported, and less load is placed on each spoke. If your in the habit of blowing up 32 spoke wheels, then consider going to a 36, but if you're 32 is doing alright then don't stress.