Rims and Tyres query.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I suppose this should probably go into the Stupid Questions thread but I'm needing an answer fairly soonish. Anyway, it looks like I've just bought myself a new van that unfortunately comes with the ugliest set of wheels I've ever seen. Having never been into buggering about with my cars in the past I've never purchased rims before and would like to know what's the best and quickest way to swap them out.

Is it worth hitting up a dedicated wheel shop and getting them to fit the rims and tyres or is that going to be too pricey?
Will 18" rims fit on a Mercedes Vito and if so what kind of rims should I be specifically looking for (i.e does anyone know if I've got to watch out for any funny bolt configurations)
If I buy a set off Fleabay or Bumtree, can I just take them to a tyre dealer and get them to do all the hard work fairly cheaply?

Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated

Cheers!

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Not sure if 18" rims will fit your Vito... but i can tell you.....

Wheels come in a huge number of offsets and PCD configurations.

You're best off consulting someone in a shop or google the shit out of it!

Not knowing you year, a quick google session has found the following

Vito
5 x 112 (5 stud with pcd of 112 - distance between the hole centres)
45...50mm Offset. (min 45 max 50mm)
66.5mm - Centre bore

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I suppose this should probably go into the Stupid Questions thread but I'm needing an answer fairly soonish. Anyway, it looks like I've just bought myself a new van that unfortunately comes with the ugliest set of wheels I've ever seen. Having never been into buggering about with my cars in the past I've never purchased rims before and would like to know what's the best and quickest way to swap them out.

Is it worth hitting up a dedicated wheel shop and getting them to fit the rims and tyres or is that going to be too pricey?
Will 18" rims fit on a Mercedes Vito and if so what kind of rims should I be specifically looking for (i.e does anyone know if I've got to watch out for any funny bolt configurations)
If I buy a set off Fleabay or Bumtree, can I just take them to a tyre dealer and get them to do all the hard work fairly cheaply?

Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated

Cheers!
Not a stupid question as every point you've raised is valid.

What size wheels are on your van now? There are legalities as to what size rims you can run over the standard size, I think this rule varies from state to state so you will need to check this. (i.e. if you have 15 inch wheels it is probably illegal to put 22 inch wheels on - extreme example but I think you'll get my point!) Changing the rim + tyre size can also f*#k up your speedo reading depending on the difference in wheel size.

You will need to check stud pattern and offset of the wheels - otherwise you will be scrubbing panels and won't be able to get full lock on steering which is ridiculous!

To save any hassles I would approach a reputable* tyre + wheel shop as they would be obliged to abide by the law in regards to what wheels and tyres they put on the car - this would be your safest and most convinient way to make sure this is done right.

*By reputable I mean a shop that doesn't sell fully sik chromies bro.

If you do want to save money I'd try looking at wheels that have come off the exact same model as the van you have now - and I mean exactly the same, not similar! Sometimes wheels have funny offsets as car models change, so what fits one car may not fit another! Hope this helps!

RCOH

Eats Squid
http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator

you can fit a bigger rim and use lower profile rubber to keep the wheel+tire diameter the same (or reasonably similar).

changing rims you have to make sure the offset is OK, that things like brake calipers etc are clear, and there is enough room so tires don't scrub (if going wider).

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I just went through all this with my Vw transporter.

The things to watch are tyre places like ozzy tyres, Tempe tyres etc.... These guys will tell you what you want to hear and not what is legal. If its a commercial Vito, you will need load rated tyres and wheels. These are few and far between and what currently available in oz is pretty ugly.
I went os... And ordered from

http://www.performancealloys.com/

Really easy to deal with and got my 4 17" load rated wheels landed for $1300

They even have a specific selection tool for vans, a very handy tool!

Tyres set me back $215 each to suit my van, so I came out of it with new wheels and tyres for around $2200.... Most quotes for just the wheels from locals was this much.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
If you're not into modding cars why not find a set of standard steel or alloys with the correct size tyre fitted from the factory. It will probably drive the best like this and will be cheaper.

floody

Wheel size expert
If you're not into modding cars why not find a set of standard steel or alloys with the correct size tyre fitted from the factory. It will probably drive the best like this and will be cheaper.
This is the go, probably get them dirt cheap from some freestyle mx wannabe who has put sik chromies on his mad lowered loosekid monster energy unit sticker flat cap van.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Cheers lads. Reckon I'll play it safe and hit up the likes of Beaurepaires or similar rather than risking screwing up my insurance with a set of unsuitable mad rimz. I've had a look at the local Mercedes dealer's website but no luck on wheels. Don't think they would be that cheap from them anyhow.

OzzyTyres

Cannon Fodder
The things to watch are tyre places like ozzy tyres, Tempe tyres etc.... These guys will tell you what you want to hear and not what is legal. If its a commercial Vito, you will need load rated tyres and wheels. These are few and far between and what currently available in oz is pretty ugly.
Hey guys,

Just want to clarify the above mentioned information is not true regarding Ozzy Tyres.

To the OP, we have a number of wheels that will fit your Vito in the 18". You can call us on 1300 699 699 to talk to one of our technicians also if you have questions regarding offsets and bolt patterns.

Thanks!

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
POSM Beaurepairs and the like tend to be vastly overpriced.

The critical information you need regarding your current wheels/tyres is this:
-rolling diameter
-load/speed rating
-rim diameter and width
-rim offset, bolt pattern (PCD) and centre bore
-tyre size

A bit of Internet sleuthing (the tyre comparison tool above is great) and you'll be much better informed and likely save yourself a bit of money.