road bike rules, nsw

nata

Likes Dirt
all
what is the road bike rules in NSW with regards to cutting through traffic at a red light?
Cheers and thanks

duncans

Squid
I thought bicycles could pass on the left of traffic stopped at traffic lights, but can't find the reference.

Road rule 141 indicates it is OK for bicycles to overtake on the left.
151 says you can ride to the left of the solid white line.

If you have to 'share' a lane with another vehicle - dunno.

The NSW bicycle riders hand book says you can pass on the left of stopped and slow moving vehicles (page 27).

m_g

Likes Dirt
rules and etiquette are two different things.

Unless you are turning left, or the lane is wide and allows passing; pulling past cars at red lights only to slow them down when the light turns green will not win you any friends....Please don't, it just makes them angry

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt

Unless you are turning left, or the lane is wide and allows passing; pulling past cars at red lights only to slow them down when the light turns green will not win you any friends....Please don't, it just makes them angry
exactly.

no use pushing to the front of a line of traffic just to slow them all down (or make them pass you again).

of course - if you're faster than them on the takeoff and you can maintain the speed limit then it's all OK :)

Lorday

Eats Squid

I'm sorry but I'll continue to ride past stopped cars.
Why? Because I can - its on of the advantages of being on a bike, I don't get stuck in traffic. If I wanted to sit behind a car and not pass it i'd drive. Commuting via bike ftw.

nata

Likes Dirt
well I commute to work and back on the bike 3-4 times a week, though I'm mostly off the road and on bike/shared paths I think it's better not to pass on the inside if you are going to hold up traffic. And this is where the question came from, bike rider passing on the inside (Victoria road, Gladesville, Sydney) then we were stuck behind her for the next 200meter going uphill at snail pace.

Even I was frustrated and unhappy.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well I commute to work and back on the bike 3-4 times a week, though I'm mostly off the road and on bike/shared paths I think it's better not to pass on the inside if you are going to hold up traffic. And this is where the question came from, bike rider passing on the inside (Victoria road, Gladesville, Sydney) then we were stuck behind her for the next 200meter going uphill at snail pace.

Even I was frustrated and unhappy.
I get very frustrated about other riders pushing in front of me at lights and then going slowly, just rude. I think unless you know you will be faster, then pull away from the lights in the order you got there.

for what it is worth, I don't generally pass sitting traffic unless I have a lane (bike or otherwise). I figure that it does piss some people off, and there is a pretty good chance that they will be driving past me in the subsequent 60 seconds and may decide to take it out on me. That said, I have done it on rare occassions and can understand why people do do it. Silly if you are going to hold the cars up through or just after the intersection.

FWIW, motorbikes are allowed to lane split (ie go between cars) regardless of whether traffic is moving or not.

m_g

Likes Dirt
Why? Because I can - its on of the advantages of being on a bike, I don't get stuck in traffic. If I wanted to sit behind a car and not pass it i'd drive. Commuting via bike ftw.
ok, but when that bogan in a commodore that you just passed guns it at the lights, you won't be getting any sympathy from most road riders

HLC

Likes Dirt
i never use to 'lane split' or 'lane filter' as its properly called, but i do now irregardless. Like someone else said, one of the perks of riding a bike. Especially if i feel like running red's.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
FWIW, motorbikes are allowed to lane split (ie go between cars) regardless of whether traffic is moving or not.
really?? I did my motorbike licence in Vic and got taught that lane splitting on motorbike is always illegal. Because motorbikes are not allowed to share lanes with cars so you can't legally pass stopped cars in the same lane.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
really?? I did my motorbike licence in Vic and got taught that lane splitting on motorbike is always illegal. Because motorbikes are not allowed to share lanes with cars so you can't legally pass stopped cars in the same lane.
right you are, I did actually mean to say that you aren't allowed to lane split (really should proofread my posts). my motorbike instructor said the same is true here in NSW.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Well.... in NSW lane splitting is definitely illegal... but (its a definition thing), it is legal to pass to the right of a stationary vehicle. So, if the traffic is stopped and you can get past the stationary car and stay in the lane then that's perfectly ok (and not considered lane splitting).

In practice, some lane crossing is inevitable and you can get done for that but mostly police are happy if the traffic is stationary. Passing vehicles on the left is verbotten... as is riding between vehicles that are moving.

As to the hows / whys of doing it on a bike... sometimes I do, sometimes I don't... sometimes I see others doing it and it bugs me, sometimes it doesn't. What I know is that having other (not matter how well intentioned) people point out what I'm doing wrong always gives me the irrates :)

chrisp2087

Likes Dirt
Tough question etiquette wise. It is the advantage of cycling as opposed to driving, I mean really if I'm going to be stuck in stop-start traffic either why would I bother riding my bike at all? There would be no fitness gain and no speed gain.

I think the best bet is to look for back streets that go the same direction, I've managed to find a lot travelling between the Northern Beaches and North Ryde, probably added a few years to my lifespan by not commuting on Mona Vale / Lane Cove / Epping roads

Knopey

Likes Dirt
I go up the left all the time, but in all cases there's room for the cars to re-overtake because it's a wide enough lane coming up. It's more awkward when there's a left-turning vehicle near the front, especially if it's the first car. The pressure's on to be off quick then or more likely I'll hang back behind them.

gregb

Likes Dirt
I'll go up the left if I think I wont make the next green. If there is only a couple of cars I'll just wait in line.

castillo

Likes Dirt
Pretty much. Most of the time they've driven like tools to go around me, only to stop 50m at a light which has been red for a long time. I reward this kind of idiocy and impatience by getting to where I want to go faster than them.

tabmow

Squid
Rights/Rules or Survival

Cyclists can legally pass stopped vehicles on the left, but not moving vehicles. This was pointed out to me by my lawyer in a previous court case.

Sharing the roads really comes down to courtesty and how you would like to be treated if you were the other road user. Imagine if you were walking on a footpath and some one behaved the similary to running to get in front of you and then slowing down and holding you up? Would that be pleasant? How would you react?

Respect goes a long long way down the road, regardless of the law(?). Don't forget how the behaviours of one can tarnish many. It may be legal to ride two abreast down Military Rd (Sydneys slowest rd) in peak hour, but what will that acheive?

The law is an ass, and might will always win before you make into a court room.

Share the road, ride cooperatively and ride to survive!