Road Seat for people who don't wear knicks

Troy Buswell

Cannon Fodder
I don't know that I am the only person in the world who feels this way but i can't stand lycra and refuse to wear it.
Herein lies my problem. i am trying to find a seat with a narrow profile but still has a decent amount of padding around the arse bones that tend to get bloody sore on a longer ride eg. 50km or more also cheap would be nice. Any suggestions aside from wearing padded lycra shorts that make look like i have just pooed my pants would be appreciated.

taquar

Likes Dirt
Just get some fucking knicks.
This, or better yet, wait for Aldi to have another decent bike sale, and go buy some padded underwear. I did, and they are really handy, its like wearing a pillow around my crotch.

Troy Buswell

Cannon Fodder
Glad I asked

a. it gets effing hot wearing two layers of clothing
b. if you don't have anything constructive to offer than don't bother. Its a reasonable question

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
The thing is, what are your reasons for not wanting to wear knicks? You think they make you look bad?

Try having raw chafed inner thighs/groin/buttocks.. Looks even better when you have to walk like a cowboy.

scblack

Leucocholic
Lets lock the thread. Troy Buswell is a politician who was kicked out of parliament for sniffing a female politicians seat.

Not everyone knows enough to know a troll.

Lock it.

rollingrambo

Likes Dirt
Take the good with the bad I think. I reckon I'll be purchasing a road bike soon and thought footy shorts would do but I'll see how that works out and let you know

tojo

Likes Bikes
I don't know that I am the only person in the world who feels this way but i can't stand lycra and refuse to wear it.
Herein lies my problem. i am trying to find a seat with a narrow profile but still has a decent amount of padding around the arse bones that tend to get bloody sore on a longer ride eg. 50km or more also cheap would be nice. Any suggestions aside from wearing padded lycra shorts that make look like i have just pooed my pants would be appreciated.
You will get a sore arse on longer rides no matter what seat you use until you get conditioned. Even then on really long rides you will get sore.

I use a selle italia SLR 180g. It works for me. With or without lycra.

dj3

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You will get a sore arse on longer rides no matter what seat you use until you get conditioned. Even then on really long rides you will get sore.

I use a selle italia SLR 180g. It works for me. With or without lycra.
he is right, i have the same saddle.

Lard

Likes Dirt
A seat with less padding will actually be better on longer rides. Less padding means less friction on the butt with pedalling, and less chaffing.

I used to feel a bit weird about wearing lycra, but your butt will love you for it and you'll never do long rides again without it.

scblack

Leucocholic
TroyBuswell said:
If you think i am taking the piss my friend then you are an idiot. It is a username
Here above is a PM to me from this user.

Take the hint from the MANY replies to this thread. Wear knicks you dickhead.

Unless you are proud to sniff womens seats.

frensham

Likes Dirt
I am assuming that you currently wear normal underpants and shorts?

I can understand your reluctance to wear knicks and shorts, especially in summer, they do get hot. So, why not purchase a set of 'shy shorts'? These are shorts with a built in liner and pad. The advantage is that the liner is usually made of mesh material and so is much, much cooler than knicks and shorts together. Netti are one company that make these but there are lots of them out there.
Heavily padded saddles only worsen the problem, as they cause more friction between your arse and the saddle.
As has already been mentioned though, you do need to ride lots to become conditioned to your saddle.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I am assuming that you currently wear normal underpants and shorts?

I can understand your reluctance to wear knicks and shorts, especially in summer, they do get hot. So, why not purchase a set of 'shy shorts'? These are shorts with a built in liner and pad. The advantage is that the liner is usually made of mesh material and so is much, much cooler than knicks and shorts together. Netti are one company that make these but there are lots of them out there.
Heavily padded saddles only worsen the problem, as they cause more friction between your arse and the saddle.
As has already been mentioned though, you do need to ride lots to become conditioned to your saddle.
Wow Frensham, trying to be helpful! - why dont you just hurl abuse like the other schoolboys here? ;)

I bought an smp saddle that is fairly padded and under a $100. for a roadie I reckon the best way to help saddle soreness is to always do some standing every few minutes.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Sorry I can't offer you any actual advice mate as I don't ride road.

*Mod hat on for first time in years* - Yeah, let's cut the bloke some slack here peeps, he asked a fair question and isn't being a dick towards anyone. Hostility to new members is never really a good look on forums and we were all the anti-lycra cheer squad a few years back ourselves.

*Mod hat off again*