Road trip down the east coast in Jan 08 - Where to go?

Hey guys,

Me, a bloke from work and his brother are doing a mountain biking/fishing/piss drinking road trip from brissy towards melbourne and back from the 8th of Jan to around the 22nd. Have a few way points picked out along the way (namely Mt Buller and Mt Thredbo) but keen to check out any decent DH/dirt jumps/XC we can find. We're bringing DH bikes and DJ bikes so no crazy trail 100km trail rides but anything else of interest you have throw it at me. Also if anyone wants to tag along or meet up along the way only too happy to do so :)

By the way, blokes only trip. No girls allowed! (unless they are fast,loose and able to be discretely paid and gotten rid of the next morning)

I joke. They wont get paid.

pieno

Likes Dirt
Probably worth spending a few days in Canberra. We ended up staying there for 4 days when we went on our road trip

toodles

Wheel size expert
We did the same trip last Jan, and will probably go again in the 2nd half of Jan 08.

We hit Sydney and rode Old Bathurst Road. I want to do Ourimbah and/or Awaba this time around. From there we went to Buller, back thru Thredbo and then watched the Nats @ Stromlo.

I'd recommend hitting Coffs if you haven't been there before, also try and check out some of the tracks in the ACT.

murrum

Banned
Throw in sth coast, plenty of options, and nice beaches to cool off. Tracks around Batemans Bay, Mogo, then further south at Bermagui, no massive DH options, but plenty stuff to keep you interested. Happy to meet up if you come through. PM for info.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can really only speak from around sydney to batemans bay. So pretty much hit up ourhimbah (central coast near wyong), oxford falls (northen beaches of sydney), old bathurst rd and the blue mtns trails, then head down to stromlo in canberra, go out to the coast and hit up wandandian (near sussex inlet) then go down to batemans bay, head back into thredbo, then hit up buller and stuff in VIC

dirtlove

Likes Bikes
Stromlo is definitely a good option but Majura Pines is the way to go in Canberra as well as a place called Sparrow Hill near Quenbeyan(just outside of Canberra). Majura has more trails than you poke a stick at and both tough DH stuff as well as a shit load of XC. Sparrow Hill, I haven't ridden there yet, but soon will be is supposed to be amazingly flowy smooth XC riding.

All the info you could want is on the Canberra Off Road Cyclists website.

www.corc.asn.au

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ride

For Dh Starting at Brissi . Start at Dayboura . Definitely do Coffs . Do Awaba if its open. Dont do Orimba . Dont do Oxford Falls . Do a half day at Old Bathest Road . Do the Gong . Dont do Stromlo . Just head for Thredbow for i day . Then do Bulla , Mt Beauty and Mars-field sounds good for a week .Im not bagging out the DONT tracks , its just if you are doing a long trip there is a few days of driving involved so you really should only do the best tracks . Get in touch when you are in Sydney , i might be able to show you guys around .

Thanks for the input guys, I shall be sending forth some PM's shortly to garner some more detailed info on these places. I've heard many good things about Coffs but most of the other places are a complete mystery to me.

Anyone else with secret tracks of dirt glory out there? I want to hear about them!