Road Trip! Sydney -Port Mac, what trails??

Fruitbat

Likes Dirt
Due to family commitments, I have to go to Port Macquarie in a couple of weeks.
In order to make the trip worthwhile, can anyone suggest the "must do" trails between Sydney and Port? I plan to take 3 days to get there, so time isnt really an issue.
I hear they have a great set of trails at Port Macquarie, so that will cover my time spent up there, but as I havent been riding much lately I am not sure if Orimbah etc still exist?
I am mainly interested in the XC trails... me and downhilling don't mix!
Thanks
Dave

spikenet

Likes Dirt
I am not sure if Orimbah etc still exist?
Ourimbah definately still exists http://www.ccomtb.com.au/. However, it has been flogged by rain and erosion over the last year and if this rain keeps up I'd dare say it wont be the most enjoyable place to ride. I rode it on Monday and most of it is open, very technical (moreso then in years gone by) still fun, but bring your dually :)

Awaba is the other obvious option. Glenrock also etc

rumblefish

Likes Dirt
There is a track between Macksville and Nambucca which is well worth the visit. It has a couple of the biggest log rolls going. The map on the following site shows you how to get there from Nambucca but you can take a turn off just after you leave Macksville and it will get you there from the south.

http://www.barkhutmountain.com/Macksville.html?attredirects=0

Having trouble putting the link in so hopefully this will work.

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
North Brother, Laurieton?

This one is in the area of interest...

I've always wondered about the trail called North Brother and Queens Lake boardwalk on the Hastings Valley MTB club site.

Tried doing this one solo once but the weather scared me off.

Any experience of this one in the farkin collective consciousness?

- carpetrunner

G'day. Kiwarrak is awesome. By far the best up here. Get a map off the web or bourkes bike shop in taree. Kempsey behind the golf club is great. Nice flowing tracks. Not as many tracks as taree but quality ones. Get a map from kempsey mtb website. Might be called macleay mtb??? Around port Macquarie I think the tracks off the "ghost road" (Houston Mitchell drive- between lake Cathie and Bonny hills) are the best. We do a nice 25km singletrack loop there. Not mapped so you would need a local guide. Pm me if you want and I might be able to help. Telegraph point club track is fun. About 35 min a lap. I don't rate the urban park too highly although ok for a bit of fun.
Middle brother and boardwalk track- I wouldnt bother. Much better elsewhere as mentioned.
Old mate

QUOTE=carpetrunner;2524631]This one is in the area of interest...

I've always wondered about the trail called North Brother and Queens Lake boardwalk on the Hastings Valley MTB club site.

Tried doing this one solo once but the weather scared me off.

Any experience of this one in the farkin collective consciousness?

- carpetrunner[/QUOTE]

mooze

Likes Bikes
Depending on when you're up the Port Macquarie mountain Bike Festival is on June 2-3rd. Tele Point, Queens Lake (Jolly Nose) and Wayne richards all nicely groomed up.

Tele point is looking really nice at the moment and is the better all weather track if it rains.