road trip to SA

felixmtb

Likes Dirt
Im going on a road trip over to south australia and was planning on going to Mitcham, Eagle Park, Melrose and maybe cudlee creek.
I was wondering what trails to do (i do dh and xc) and just stuff about these places.

cheers

Hentaiboy

Likes Bikes
I've only done Eagle Park. It's set in an old quarry and therefore extremely rocky. You need good ground clearance but it's fun ;)

Escapegoat

Escapegoat
A great resource for all info on trails in SA can be found here.....

http://www.adelaidemtbtrails.com/

A friend put this together of all the legal places to ride, with links to maps and the like.

Also check out the current AMBC mag for a write up and map of Mitcham.

Get on the Adelaide Mountain bike club forum at http://amtbc.com/forum/ and I am sure a few of the guys will be happy to give you a few more suggestions or offer to show you around. All the places you mention are excellent, although they are not ideal to find your way around if you haven't been there before.....

Melrose is awesome, and the boys at OTE (the bike shop in town) will sort you out with where to ride....

Escapegoat

Escapegoat
Mid-september is a great time to ride over here, it shouldn't be too hot. Of course that's all relative though I guess, depending on what you are used to!

felixmtb

Likes Dirt
yeah, i'm from melbourne. it varies a lot so i've ridden in and around 30 degrees.

What trails are recommended?

cheers

duke800

Squid
I just come back from a cycle tour in SA, did the Mawson Trail, great track, it starts in Adelaide and heads up through the Flinders Ranges. Great mountain biking at the mtn bike park at Melrose, the guys at the bike shop there organise a ride at 7.30 every morning for who ever is around. They are really helpful and keen to show the trails. Great caravan park in Melrose, great little town to spend a few days. Rode through the crawford park closer to Adelaide, this looks good, lots of trails there. Lots of mountain biking around Wilpena Pound.
Enjoy your trip, its a great place to ride!!!

ssb2005

Likes Bikes
+1 for melrose, theres a been a fair few new trails dug and work done to the old ones latley.
if you can get you to show you around them the prospect hill trails are awesome as well, all forest syle stuff. good fun!!

felixmtb

Likes Dirt
I was planning on going to Melrose for about a week. It looks really good.

+1 for melrose, theres a been a fair few new trails dug and work done to the old ones latley.
if you can get you to show you around them the prospect hill trails are awesome as well, all forest syle stuff. good fun!!
didnt understand "if you can get you to show you around" etc... :confused:

Has anyone been to the Bartagunyah trails?

ssb2005

Likes Bikes
ah i meant to say get someone to show you around, sorry..... the prospect ones arnt really signed at all so if you havent been there and cant link them it probally wont be all that good.

yeah bartagunya is good if your into some gnarly techy xc trails, theres a heap of new trails that have been sunk so it should be sweet. the rocks there are sharp and unforgiving though.

if you drop into over the edge sports there they will give you a good run down on all the tracks.
www.otesports.com.au

Last edited:

felixmtb

Likes Dirt
For xc, im bringing a 2008 Giant Anthem 2 custom drivetrain and wheels and for dh, im bringing a white 2006 Brodie Devo. :)

Ninja Cougar

Likes Bikes
sounds like you're well organised. If you're around on the 12th -13th of September, we have a downhill race at Willunga, just south of Adelaide.