Road Tyres - what to look for?

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I put a pretty sizable cut in the rear tyre today and figure I'd better replace it. The bike came with Maxxis ReFuse on it and I've done about 1800km on them. Being a relatively new roadie these are the only road tyres I've ever ridden, so no idea if they are good or not. Any tips out there for people's favourite road tyre, or what features to look for/avoid?

FYI - (if it makes any difference) bike is a Giant TCR C1, riding is longish training stuff around Canberra, no racing (yet)

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you want a puncture resistant tyre I think the Re-Fuse is probably the best. Continental Gatorskins are another option.

I was getting so many punctures riding down the Hume Hwy to work, even with Re-Fuses and tyre liners, that I now ride Hutchinson Fusion 3 tubeless with sealant and they've been great.

MrSheen

Likes Bikes
Gp 4000

I concur with Mica, I've run a selection of Michelin (on the mtb and the roadie) and also a set of Hutchinson Flash (very heavy) previously and the best I have come across so far have been the Conti GP4000.
They are nice and sticky in most weather, roll nice and fast, and are relatively long wearing given the softness of the compound. I've done about 1500kms and they are only just now looking like they have had some use.

Torpedo7 sometimes have them on sale for about $50 each too...

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My two favourites.

Schwalbe Ultremo, sub 200g and good puncture resistance.

Vredestein Fortezza Tri-Comp SL, just on 200g with fantastic grip but puncture resistance is not quite as good as the Ultremo.

swanny81

Likes Bikes
Have just started riding some Ultremo R1.1s and seem very very good so far. Great grip, no issues with puncturing so far (and I have also heard that for the weight they have good puncture resistance).

Conti GP4000S have been quite good to me also, can't really go wrong with either in my opinion.
(And you can pick both up online for around $50 per tyre when on sale)

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I tried the GP4000S after reading a bit about them being reasonably puncture resistant. I think I almost got 200km out of them before I decided I didn't want to patch the inside of the tyres anymore! Obviously just the wrong tyre for my local roads. They felt brilliant for the short time I had them though. Better feeling in the corners and rougher surfaces than the Michelin Pro3 Race tyres I have on the other wheels for riding on better roads, but the Michelins feel a little faster.