Roadie Headset and fork question

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Silly question

I have a Pinarello Paris ... which has a 1" fork (I think ... I currently have a 1 1/8 stem on with a shim)

So figured out that the headset must similarly be a 1" ... now the silly question is ...

I want to get a carbon fork which is 1 1/8 ... can I just replace the headset or am I stuck with 1" forks ??

Rephrasing the question ... will different sized headsets (for different steer tube widths) fit in the same head tube or are head tubes / head sets all specific.

sorry, I've read and re-read it and the more words I put in the more confusing it gets ... sorry and thanks in advance. :eek:

Last edited:

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
It depends on the head tube of the frame.

If there's a 1" threadless headset in the bike, it will be a 1" headtube, and as such you won't be able to fit a bigger steerer in there.

Headtubes are headset specific (with 1.5 and tapered frames being an exception).

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Since I've got your attention

is this cheap and nasty ??

Kestrel EMS carbon road forks

I just want to see if carbon makes a difference ... but understand that there is cheap heavy carbon ?

Ta

bear the bear

Is a real bear
depends on the price...
they were one of the original makers of carbon forks and had an alright reputation.
But in saying that 1" for roadies has been out of fashion since about 2001.

copps

Likes Bikes
I have a carbon fork with a 1" steerer in the shed if you are interested, It's an Easton one too I think. I can get a photo or two if you're keen.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I have a carbon fork with a 1" steerer in the shed if you are interested, It's an Easton one too I think. I can get a photo or two if you're keen.
yeah why not ... PM me details or post in here ... disclaimer ... I like to haggle :eek: