Roadie V MTB

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
I ride mountain bike. All my training goes towards mountain bike riding but most of my training is done on a roadie. However, I have just started road racing and on a good course with enough people racing its pretty fun.

Fairy_s

Squid
Always ridden the MTB, just got a roadie for extra fitness and putting kms in the legs for enduros.
Do crits on thursdays to keep the off-road skills going inbetween races, fluid trainer during the week and weekends head out for longer rides on the road unless there is an event on.

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
as above Bought a 2nd hand roadie for training and commuting Enjoy heading out on the roadie but no where near as much as hitting the dirt

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tough rear wheels

Ive posted before about my rear wheel problems. I got it relaced about two weeks ago i managed to get about 100ks out of it before i broke another spoke with a few just barely holding on. So it looks like its time to buy a new rear wheel. Im on a budget i need something that is super strong {im around 100 kg} doesn't have to look pretty just need it to stay together. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Enjoy hitting the singletrack most, but due to time constrants most of my riding lately is on my commute to and from work on a recently purchased fixie. On weekends the MTB still gets a pretty good workout though.

As mentioned above, I use the commute as training for the w/e and enduros, and found that the road riding has improved my leg power in terms of climbing and definitely leg speed.

I did the Sydney Spring Ride the other w/e (60ish kms) on the fixie and enjoyed riding in a group so now might give the track stuff a go- but not at the expence of the dirt.

MTB_KAT

Likes Dirt
I have always ridden a Mountain Bike up until a month ago when I bought a road bike, have been spending more time on that than the MTB now, much prefer the MTB riding and racing but heaps easier to get out on the roadie and dont have to scrub it after a ride, feel like I am getting more out of my training on the roadie than I do on the MTB too and head out to some fairly interesting places on the Road Bike, Great Ocean Road the Dandenongs etc. so still a nice ride, but yeah nothing beats a good bit of singletrack on the MTB!

alexb618

Likes Dirt
reading this thread made me realise i have been on my mtb maybe 3 times (or less?!!) in the last 6 months

going to do a small ride on it this saturday i think : )

giant rock

Likes Bikes
I have to say that I love riding both MTB and road bike. I am just looking for people to ride with in my area. Yes it is much easier to use the road bike but then at the same time I need to use the MTB as I have junior on the back and he loves going for rides on the bike... I feel better now knowing that I will get some good from using the road bike as I was concerned that it was not going to be worth using....... Just love hitting the roads, haven't yet been on any real mtb tracks

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
As MTB_KAT said, another advantage of riding a roadie is that you have to clean it after say 5-6 rides where as the mtb needs a a wipe down after every ride and a full clean after 3 or so. Also if you spend the same amount of time on a mtb as you otherwise would on a roadie, you will be buying a new drive train every month.

skull

Likes Dirt
i ride dh as much as i can but ive had a fixie for a year or so and its good to get around and i dont run breaks so its good to get the kinda adrenilin more often cause i live in melbourne and dont get out to the dirt enough:(

Ozchuck

Likes Dirt
I hads me a roadie...
Was awesome till I smashed the crap out of it into a fence.
MTB obstacles like trees and dirt piles are so much more forgiving than chain link.

i ride both...

i ride my roadie more frequently... its easier to just step out of the garage and your off instead of driving or riding to a track... i use it as a means of maintaining endurance in my legs and all round fitness...

i get on the MTB maybe every weekend or every second weekend and is more recreational to chill with mates and to improve my skills and reactions...

even though i ride the roadie more... i love it when i hop onto the faith 1... its a beast! its not rigid like the roadie and can just roll over whatever....