Roadies VS MTB'ers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arete

Likes Dirt
I commute on a road bike - except it's a Sora equipped Cell so the latte sipping bikesnobs probably regard me below plastic tricycles.

Recently I've been commuting in on Saturdays. In fairness I'm probably in an extra shitty mood commuting into work on Saturday, but I've recently encountered the weekend latte sipping cunt-roadie. These guys routinely group ride down the linear park bike path on Saturday morning - a bike path filled with pram pushing, dog walking, camera toting tourist goodness which is reasonably treacherous even for me alone on my commuter.

These guys, usually adorned in full USPS/Quickstep whatever kit, take up the whole path and travel at a leisurely pace for a road bunch but a reasonable clip in comparison to your average pram. Many places there's a wall, and a river - and nowhere for anyone to get out of their way so they pretty much scare the crap out of everyone and demand, by loud yeling and force everyone to vacate the path by whatever means possible.

I've got what ~15 years experience Downhilling, BMX'ing 4xing etc. so I, get over as far as I can without leaving the bitumen, make eye contact with the guy furthest over on my side of the white line, drop a shoulder and make sure my fingers are protected by my lever. about 90% of the time I shoot through without contact due to evasive manoeuvrings by the other rider. A couple of times I've clipped them. Language always ensues but by now I've had enough time to think up some choice retorts -"Are you blind you fing idiot? They didn't paint that fing line down the middle with an arrow pointing in either direction for you to ignore, you herpes infested cum sock. F you!"

Seriously. I'm ok with them being 2 abreast, and a bit on my side - but taking up the whole path, in both directions and forcing other riders and walkers completely off the bitumen is just the sort of attitude that we as riders don't need.

Arete

Likes Dirt
Well said, you idiot.

Bikes - legally being a vehicle, have as much right to be on the road as you.

I ride my bike to and from work every day down a main road with a bike lane that stops and starts. If you have to go around me because some douche has parked in the bike lane, or the bike lane suddenly ended and I'm now in your lane - GO THE FUCK AROUND!

Srsly. Is it that freaking hard?

If it is do us all a HUGE favor and HAND YOUR DAMN LICENSE IN. If you can't handle applying the brakes, waiting for a gap in the other lane, indicating and moving the hell over, or even waiting the 2 FREAKING SECONDS it takes me to pass the parked car SELL YOUR GOD DAMN CAR AND GET ON THE BUS because YOU CAN"T FUCKING DRIVE.

/rant.

Yorto

Likes Dirt
I ride a bit on the M7 cycle way to commute or for a bit of a ride on my 29er :). So many wanks there that ride together and hog the lanes and obviously do not care that anyone else is using the cycle way let alone someone on a mountain bike. I was close to running into this weekend warrior on the weekend which would have left him off second best as I am a good 120-130kg.

I will be tempted actually no I will do this even if I get injured as it will teach these warriors a lesson one at a time that because they are wearing full lycra they do not own the entire 2 directional lanes that are clearly marked and there to share. Vent over.

On a nicer note that if I hear or see a roadie behind me catching up to me I will be more then happy to move over to the edge of the lane so they don't have to slow down.
Oh and I am on the hunt for a road bike or just a second wheel set as I can see myself wearing out my tubeless set up tyres on the road in no time. But I will NOT wear full lycra and act like a fool on these said shared path ways.

piggy pie

Likes Bikes
You know....... I FUCKING hate roadies, get in my way when i'm driving (shaking FIST while typing)

Stick to roads that arn't busy you fuckers, nothing's more dangerous than having to swerve around
you into on coming traffic just cause you don't want to ride next to the gutter...........:mad::mad:

OP you probably ran into some dipshits that deserved some verbal followed by physical abuse
have to agree with you when its a single lane, no passing opportunities and some arsehole sticks in the middle of the lane. to the blokes bagging hellyeah put it this way, if you were driving in a single lane road with a 100 kpm limit and some knob was doing 50 in it would you be happy, i dont think so. i am not just talking roadies either just the other day there was a knob on a downhill/freeride bike hogging the middle of the lane going down moggil rd in near peak hour, recon he must of been doing about 10-15 kph with traffic backed up for a good kilometer(no bull) as the odd passing chance came along cars started to buzz him abuse him and one person even threw a can at him. fuck you if you are that thoughtless, you deserve to be "given some old smacks":mad:

piggy pie

Likes Bikes
Well said, you idiot.

Bikes - legally being a vehicle, have as much right to be on the road as you.

I ride my bike to and from work every day down a main road with a bike lane that stops and starts. If you have to go around me because some douche has parked in the bike lane, or the bike lane suddenly ended and I'm now in your lane - GO THE FUCK AROUND!

Srsly. Is it that freaking hard?

If it is do us all a HUGE favor and HAND YOUR DAMN LICENSE IN. If you can't handle applying the brakes, waiting for a gap in the other lane, indicating and moving the hell over, or even waiting the 2 FREAKING SECONDS it takes me to pass the parked car SELL YOUR GOD DAMN CAR AND GET ON THE BUS because YOU CAN"T FUCKING DRIVE.

/rant.
yeah mate but at least you make an effort not to obstruct traffic, some wankers sit in the middle of the road even when there is bike lanes now that makes them arseholes, anybody ever wonder why car drivers hate us

Wednesday

Likes Dirt
Like any sport you simply get flat out dicks whom are so oblivious to anything and everything except me and me alone that they cant see past the end of their own nose and how others view their actions.
I see it on xc trails, dh, tarmac, in the water and on the slopes. Even worse at work and in the car which are two things we all dont need in life! Its simply a reflection of the sad selfish way our society is heading.
Its easy for mtb'ers to throw stones at rodies due to the anal rodie code compared to our dirt laden brethren as in this example however it definately exists within our community which sadly is becoming more evident on the trails.

scblack

Leucocholic
Well...... i'm standing strong by my (written) words, so BRING IT!!
Oh, dear me, he's a masochist, he actually WANTS people to say he is a complete dickhead.

What other issues do you want to get out in the open? Sad sad sad........

al_

Likes Dirt
yeah mate but at least you make an effort not to obstruct traffic, some wankers sit in the middle of the road even when there is bike lanes now that makes them arseholes, anybody ever wonder why car drivers hate us
I came across someone doing that this morning on heidelberg road in clifton hill. There are three heavy lanes of traffic, but it is moving at 60... until someone decides that since he is entitled to a lane, he won't ride on the shared path with the other bikes. I was driving so had to slow down and very nearly got taken out by some aggro woman in a 4wd trying to fit into a tiny gap to get past me.

I realise that sometimes there are no other options, but some roadies seem to have an overdeveloped sense of entitlement. Just because they are legally entitled to take up a lane they will... I personally don't think that cars and bikes belong in the same space, so try to only stay on wide roads or those with bike lanes. I just feel bad slowing cars down so much - legal or not.

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
I don't believe it is roadie vs mtb or other, I reckon you just have idiots in all walks of life that do all manner of things that are selfish and don't consider others.

I am a mtbkr first and foremost but also love riding road. Personally I go out early on the roadie (or late) to avoid traffic etc, but I also have witnessed roadies that are knobs, mtbkrs who are knobs, commuters who have no idea, and then some. My point is, a d**khead is a d**khead is a d**khead and they will be all around you, it doesn't matter how you get around.

Examples posted here of poor rider (and motorist + other) actions, and extreme reactions to some of them are example of what gets you a ticket to d**khead town.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
The title of this thread should be "cocks vs non-cocks", without reference to mode of transport. There are both sorts in everything...

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
Hey Harmonix,
I think some of the responses on this forum show you that fuckwits are everywhere.

When faced with a rider who is way too close on my side of the path, I like to shout, "wake up fuckhead!" I do it really loudly and then follow it up with a comment about what a disappointment they must be to their parents due to their inability to use the path properly (if time permits). Embarrasment works.

I'm laughing at all the tools who slag off lycra wearers. I'll laugh even more when I see you hobbling around with your chafed balls after a decent length ride.

Share the love.

Binaural

Eats Squid
As many have said, pulling a bitch move like that is reserved for people who put the "cock" in "cockroach" and can't be said to be a general habit of any large group of people. If it's any comfort, if they pull that sort of manoeuvre regularly they are going to get hurt, so rest easy that karma is coming for them.

Shared two-way paths are just not a great idea for this sort of reason. In Munich lots of streets have bike lanes paths on each side of the road which are separate from the the road by a small gutter, and this works well to keep everyone but especially stupid American tourists off them. Surprisingly enough, the bike paths suck up a lot of the commuter traffic and keep the main roads free of bikes, and German drivers are perfectly capable of just driving around a rider on the open road without aggro. I had about one aggressive incident there in a year, and that was with a drunken pedestrian who wanted to hail a taxi as I rode past on and nearly knocked me off my bike.

Binaural

Eats Squid
I'm laughing at all the tools who slag off lycra wearers. I'll laugh even more when I see you hobbling around with your chafed balls after a decent length ride.

Share the love.
Bah, my TLD shorts are perfectly comfy and I can stop off for a coffee without the waitress admiring the outline of my bollocks. If you're chafing that badly, you should probably stop waxing them :p

Lukas

Likes Dirt
my experience from daily commuting on mtb around Eastern Sub and city: trying to say hi (as i did in Europe and with smile on my face) to any biker but in 99% no answer (mostly roadies). is there any special word or phrase how to say hi to other biker? any sugestion? :)

Arete

Likes Dirt
my experience from daily commuting on mtb around Eastern Sub and city: trying to say hi (as i did in Europe and with smile on my face) to any biker but in 99% no answer (mostly roadies). is there any special word or phrase how to say hi to other biker? any sugestion? :)
Not really. If I'm commuting I'm trying to: a) get home as quickly as permissable and b) not die.

It's not like you say hi to eveyone on the train or footpath or bus.

If I'm out riding for fun sure I chat to people, but not on the commute - unless you're going the same direction as me and keeping pace with me.

Yorto

Likes Dirt
So these tools have balls on their chests :D. Sure I wear a pair of nicks (They save your balls and ass) but under normal shorts, I still like to go places and not get the weird and odd looks because of the shoes (sidi mtb dominator) and shorts I wear.

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
Bah, my TLD shorts are perfectly comfy and I can stop off for a coffee without the waitress admiring the outline of my bollocks. If you're chafing that badly, you should probably stop waxing them :p
Oh, my secret shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.