Rock Shox 30W fork oil

datnat

Likes Dirt
All,

Having a torrid time trying to track down some Rock Shox 30W oil for a lowers service.

Tried LBS, motorbike stores and online for a fork oil...

Any ideas, or even better someone with 30mL to spare in Geelong/Werribee/Hoppers?

Cheers

ChopSticks

Banned
How urgently do you need it?

i have a spare brand new 120ml bottle

happy to post to you, if you replace it for me (I'm in Sydney)..... I'm not interested in selling! I just need it as a spare... Which you can replace when possible

feel free to SMS me (number can be found in my sale threads)

Last edited:

Tekin Cycles

Cannon Fodder
Can I recommend to scrap the standard RS oil for your lower/ seal service, and use the Fox 20wt gold. The makeup of the RS Pike oil is quite heavy (without getting tech), and gives your fork quite a harsh feel.

12mL - 15mL each leg will change the way your fork rides, also rebuild your air spring with Slick Honey, and Float Fluid, instead of the grease as recommended.

Good Luck,

Brad

All,

Having a torrid time trying to track down some Rock Shox 30W oil for a lowers service.

Tried LBS, motorbike stores and online for a fork oil...

Any ideas, or even better someone with 30mL to spare in Geelong/Werribee/Hoppers?

Cheers

datnat

Likes Dirt
Thanks all,

Got some from Cyclic this week, forks feel smoother.

Interesting your comments on the fox fluid tekin.

Cheers

bog

Likes Bikes
Well said Brad,

Can I recommend to scrap the standard RS oil for your lower/ seal service, and use the Fox 20wt gold. The makeup of the RS Pike oil is quite heavy (without getting tech), and gives your fork quite a harsh feel.

12mL - 15mL each leg will change the way your fork rides, also rebuild your air spring with Slick Honey, and Float Fluid, instead of the grease as recommended.

Good Luck,

Brad
I serviced my pikes about a month ago after about 20hrs, I couldn't find the rs 0w30 fluid so found some synthetic moto fork oil of a bit lighter viscosity (Lucas 15w). Did the same thing added 10-15 ml to each of the lowers and used slick honey on the air piston with about 5ml of oil on top. The difference in feel from new was very noticeable, supple, smooth and more responsive.
I was really enjoying the test session until I busted my wing, 6-8 weeks of the new bike sucks but if you don't push your limits and take risks, you never know. Same goes with forks, experiment a little.

Good Luck,

Brad
Thankyou tekin!!!!! Thought I was imagining how crap my forks felt after doing and oil change with the rockshox 0w30w. With the float oil and slick grease am I just wiping that round the seals? Thanks for the tip !

Tekin Cycles

Cannon Fodder
Braaaaaaap

Never use float fluid on your foam wiper seal - the viscosity of the oil is to thick, and tends to do more damage than good as it cannot lubricate the stanchions enough. Soak the foam wipers on the lower leg oil (in this case Fox 20wt Gold). Rebuild air piston with a lining of slick honey, and 3-5ml of fox float fluid, apply slick honey to your lower bushings, install lowers.

You'll never know your fork after that.

Thankyou tekin!!!!! Thought I was imagining how crap my forks felt after doing and oil change with the rockshox 0w30w. With the float oil and slick grease am I just wiping that round the seals? Thanks for the tip !

teK--

Eats Squid
Fox Gold is the shit I had to put anoher 5psi in my fork after the last service (which was by no means overdue). Also soaked the foam rings in it as I felt it was a lot tackier then RS Redrum which I used to use.

BKelly

teh fast
Only use light grease on the air piston o-ring! Any fluid or oil used on top of the air piston (air chamber) will migrate into the negative chamber/lowers through the scalloped section on the inside of the stanchion and cause problems such as fork "ramping up" and dust seal popping out.
The Rockshox air spring is not like a Fox where you can put float fluid on top of air piston as "top out" is controlled by a spring and not negative air...
Also only use 5ml of lubrication oil in the damper leg as recommended by Rockshox as using any more will also cause same problems listed above.
Yes, the Fox gold 20wt is great for lubrication oil in Pikes!

Never use float fluid on your foam wiper seal - the viscosity of the oil is to thick, and tends to do more damage than good as it cannot lubricate the stanchions enough. Soak the foam wipers on the lower leg oil (in this case Fox 20wt Gold). Rebuild air piston with a lining of slick honey, and 3-5ml of fox float fluid, apply slick honey to your lower bushings, install lowers.

You'll never know your fork after that.
Thanks again mate, just waiting on the Fox 20wt and slick honey to arrive then its on. Can't wait to get that lovely bottomless pike feeling back again! Just out of interest why is the recommended rockshox oil so shit when that's the original stuff that's in there to begin with? The fork just felt awful after I'd done the oil change, I've been running lower pressure to try get it to feel right but I was just blowing through all the travel.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm running 2014 SIDs, what is the best oil to use?

Any other set up tips?

1 is 100mm XX, the other 120 RCT3

cheers

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I'm running 2014 SIDs, what is the best oil to use?

Any other set up tips?

1 is 100mm XX, the other 120 RCT3

cheers
I replaced all fluids in my new ones after a few rides with:
* motul expert light fork oil for damper
* fox green for splash oil
* slick honey on the air piston

Amazing change in performance from stock. I added another 15psi back and am near their recommended air pressure for my weight again instead of being 20psi under. LSC actually works well too.

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
Brad @ Tekin just did my SID this week - I loved the fork before, just thought it needed a service and the lockout wasn't functioning (not enough fluids), I must say that the fork is freaking awesome now, feels better than when it was brand new.

Highly recommend Brad to anyone - even to the home mechanic much like myself.