Rock Shox compression cartridge

TOMRULES

Likes Dirt
G'day all
I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of where I could purchase a compression cartridge to suit a set of 2007 Rock Shox Pike 454 U-turn Coil forks.
My current one seems to have decided to stop working. We have removed it to see if we could find the fault (and dad is a hydraulic mechanic so he knows what to look for) but we couldnt find anything that looked abnormal.
If anyone could help us find a new one your help would be very much appreciated.

Landon

Likes Dirt
Pike Compression Damper

Are you sure you have the correct amount of damper oil? Does the compression damper appear to be leaking?

There should be 140cc of 5wt oil in the damper leg of a Pike. If the oil is low, you might need to replace the seal head o-ring at the rebound piston end. It’s probably best to do a full fork service and install a service kit if this is the case.

If you really need to buy a new compression damper, you'll need to order part# 11.4015.316.020 Compression Damper, Motion Control, Ext Gate, Crown Adj - Reba Revelation (2009-2011) from your local bike shop. This is the same non-remote compression damper used in the Pike.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Are you sure you have the correct amount of damper oil? Does the compression damper appear to be leaking?

There should be 140cc of 5wt oil in the damper leg of a Pike. If the oil is low, you might need to replace the seal head o-ring at the rebound piston end. It’s probably best to do a full fork service and install a service kit if this is the case.

If you really need to buy a new compression damper, you'll need to order part# 11.4015.316.020 Compression Damper, Motion Control, Ext Gate, Crown Adj - Reba Revelation (2009-2011) from your local bike shop. This is the same non-remote compression damper used in the Pike.
You will know if the lower O-ring has been leaking if there's excess oil in the lower leg when you remove the lowers. You can replace the lower O-ring without too much fuss - it's a standard 12 * 3.5mm O-ring, saves you buying a whole new rebound unit which is Rock Shox's service policy these days.

Replacing this O-ring is a standard part of any Sid/Reba/Revelation/Pike service I do these days. It's such a small part and so irritating to have it fail before a service is otherwise due.

- Joel

cooken

Likes Dirt
a related question

Hey guys,

I thought I'd slightly hijack this thread with my own rockshox problem...
I’ve got some 2010 Sid Race forks – I had them serviced after the Otway Odyssey, immediately after I got them back the forks blew some oil out of the bottom cartridge and the travel dropped down from 100mm to 80mm.

I got the shop to re-service them - they said it was due to there being too much pressure in the -ve chamber compared to the +ve.

I haven’t been happy with the small bump compliance of the forks lately, with the forks requiring quite a bit of force to go through the initial travel. On a ride yesterday they became noticeably worse and started to lose travel back to 80mm again.

I’m assuming this is a result of oil leaking into the lower leg of the fork due to buggered o rings. Any thoughts before I order some new o rings? (pretty sure the shop didn't replace the o rings when they serviced the forks)

FYI I’m 80ish kg and I’ve been running 120 psi in both the +ve and –ve chambers.

TOMRULES

Likes Dirt
The problem is that the compression cartridge does nothing at all. It does not slow compression or anything and when in the 'full lock' position, all it does it make a bad sounding noise when the forks are compressed. We have already tried making sure the oil was at the correct level and it made no difference. Also there was no obvious damage visible on the cartridge.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
check the o-ring at the bottom of the cartidge and if thats ok, check that the lock lever is properly covering the oil inlet at the bottom of the cartridge. close enough isn't good enough, it needs to cover it properly and stay there. any leak into the cartridge will prevent the lockout from working.

does sound like oil bypassing the lockout somehow anyways...

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds like the flood gate is turned on fully, or stuck on.
Extract the damper, then while observing the shaft in the middle (silver metal), turn the floodgate fully one way, then the other. The shaft should move up or down a mm or two.

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Chances are the little black 'blade' in the dampers compression valve has broken off.
To take apart the damper, use a flat blade screw driver to prize off the valve at the bottom of the damper. There are 2 rectangular slots cut into the red outer 'spring' that the bottom valve locks into. The red part also unscrews from the top cap by turning clockwise.

Once you have the bottom part of the damper out, if the 'blade' has snapped off (sticks up into the slot in the silver shaft running through damper) you need a new damper unit. This can also become worn, so if it's still there, it's a good idea to put something over it so that it locks into the shaft for more precise adjustment.

Here's what mine looked like:
dsc00873qj.jpg