Rock Shox SID lockout problem (maybe)

FierceRider

Likes Dirt
hey guys, i just recently purchased a rock shox SID team with a remote lockout.
i have set up the positive and negative pressures and checked over the lock out mech.
when i lock it out the fork does stiffen up but there is still a fair bit of travel movement when i get out of the saddle and hammer. i have also checked that the gate is all the way to the +
Is this normal?

cheers

velocidad

Likes Dirt
+1, mine is the same - feels odd after i jump off my other bike with Fox F series fork (that locks out!) but soon get used to it

FierceRider

Likes Dirt
yea i thought it was weird ay. another question, does your fork sag a little when there is no weight on it, due to the negative air pressure punning it down???

wagga

Likes Bikes
yea i thought it was weird ay. another question, does your fork sag a little when there is no weight on it, due to the negative air pressure punning it down???
No I have the Reba SL and it doesn't sag till I put weight on it. The purpose of the lockout it to reduce pedal induced bob whilst climbing or riding on flat ground. The reason it still has some movement is to allow for any bighits you may encounter whilst carrying out your climb. You should notice little to no movement whilst you are seated but more if you are out of the saddle with you weight over the front wheel. :)

FierceRider

Likes Dirt
yea, when i do stand and mash it does move a fair bit but is still a bit stiff. is ur negative air pressure the same as your positive??

wagga

Likes Bikes
Yeah I run mine the same. It gives me just the right amount of sag and I really like the feel of them. Just moved up from Dart 3 so the Rebas are luxury

stinkybigmacc

Likes Dirt
Not sure what model damper you have but they are all similar. Just undo the lockout adjuster cap you, pull it up, and you can reposition the top cap to suit how much lockout you want.

Last edited:

el~rio

Likes Dirt
I found the same thing when I changed from Reba's to Sid's. The Reba's lockout was a heap stiffer than the Sid's. The Sid almost felt like it wasn't locked out at all. I'm still fiddling with the gate and pressures as well. I think I have more air in the + than the -.
They don't bob at all in the saddle, even when there not locked out, but I'm only 60 kg though.

FierceRider

Likes Dirt
I found the same thing when I changed from Reba's to Sid's. The Reba's lockout was a heap stiffer than the Sid's. The Sid almost felt like it wasn't locked out at all. I'm still fiddling with the gate and pressures as well. I think I have more air in the + than the -.
They don't bob at all in the saddle, even when there not locked out, but I'm only 60 kg though.
yea i know what you mean about feeling like there is no lock out at all. i just have the gate all the way +.
the negative and positive air pressure are the same for me. the forks feel fantastic, just the lock out takes some getting use too. it may be a matter of more fine tuning but maybe that the way they were designed. when i went for a decent ride today it seemed ok eventhough the spongeeness of the lockout (relative to other lockouts).

FierceRider

Likes Dirt
How much movement is there... that shouldn't be normal.
Like EL-RIO said, "it feels like there is no lock out al all"
the forks compresses maybe 3 - 4 cm when getting out of the saddle and mashing. it is slightly stiffer but not like other lockouts i have used.

Viv92

Eats Squid
Like EL-RIO said, "it feels like there is no lock out al all"
the forks compresses maybe 3 - 4 cm when getting out of the saddle and mashing. it is slightly stiffer but not like other lockouts i have used.
Does it move freely for 3-4 cm then go hard? You could have too little oil in the damper...

Easy way to tell would be if you have a topcap socket (24mm socket ground flat). Undo the top cap of the RHS stanchion (the one with the compression/lockout adjuster on it). Pull it out and turn the compression all the way to lock, if it's like every other MoCo compression cart the ports on the base of the damper should be completely shut with full LSC and the fork *should* lock out totally.

el~rio

Likes Dirt
When locked out it had about 3ish cm of travel then it stiffens up. Not really use full as it still bob when out of the saddle and doesn't bob when I'm in the saddle with it unlocked.

Viv92

Eats Squid
When locked out it had about 3ish cm of travel then it stiffens up. Not really use full as it still bob when out of the saddle and doesn't bob when I'm in the saddle with it unlocked.
Your damper side is under filled. You need more oil in there... RS tech site has all your info;.

el~rio

Likes Dirt
Sorry to dig up an old post but have an update.

Got bored the other day after cleaning my bike so decided to fiddle with the fork a bit. Anyway to cut a long story short, I found out that the lockout lever wasn't pulling enough cable through to lock out the fork. A little adjustment and hey presto, the lockout works fine. Still a bit of bob out of the saddle, even with the gate all the way to the +, but defiantly stiffer.

On a side note, is anyone running lower than 80psi, as that's the lowest they recommend on the fork leg, as I'm only 60k and am almost getting full travel, just a bit off.

FierceRider

Likes Dirt
hey mate, yea im running about 70 ish i cant remember.... but yea im about 60kg too. i reckon run as much psi as it takes to get the 20- 30 % sag regardless of psi limits . i do about 55 with my fox rp23 which is real low but it gets me that 20 - 30 % sag

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
Your damper side is under filled. You need more oil in there... RS tech site has all your info;.
you beat me to it....

There is really only 2 reasons why a lockout wouldnt work. Low oil or the cable not activating properly.

Glad you sorted it anyway.

elasto

Cannon Fodder
Sorry to dig up an old post but have an update.

Got bored the other day after cleaning my bike so decided to fiddle with the fork a bit. Anyway to cut a long story short, I found out that the lockout lever wasn't pulling enough cable through to lock out the fork. A little adjustment and hey presto, the lockout works fine. Still a bit of bob out of the saddle, even with the gate all the way to the +, but defiantly stiffer.

On a side note, is anyone running lower than 80psi, as that's the lowest they recommend on the fork leg, as I'm only 60k and am almost getting full travel, just a bit off.
How did you adjust the cable? I have this same lockout problem and my fork doesn't seem to lockout at all. I have adjusted the gate all the way to the + and my positive and negative air is the same. I hear the click when I push my pushloc lever but nothing happens in the forks action.