Rock Shox Tora (Coil) Service/Repair How much$?

rotorub

Likes Dirt
Hi All

I have a Rock shox Tora 302 4"/100mm w/PopLoc Coil Spring.

The poploc lock out is not working. It will turn but wont lock. The grub screw that holds cable is stuffed also.

How much$ would it cost to fix the lock out and service the fork including parts at a bike shop?

Just need a ball park figure to see if its worth fixing or replacing?

If any on works in a bike shop and would have some idea or if anyone has had similar work done on there fork and can advise that would be much appreciated.

JX8P

Likes Dirt
i my self need to get some pikes serviced.. have never looked into it..
i am keen on some info!

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do you wrecken you,ll get them fixed - now you have a "price guide" ? What,s a new pair worth to buy ?? For me its a tough call .........:decision:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I'm sure I have seen some 302 toras on here for $150 in schmick condish. can't be bothered looking through the for sale section but it wasn't too long ago.
Funny thing is that the lockout on my tora died too, but really does anyone actually use lockout for any practical purpose?
I know that when I used to zip down to the shops to grab some milk I'd lock it out, but only because it was there, and didn't really do anything to increase the quality of my tarmac ride.

It's now got a broken lockout and I don't miss the thing at all.
I don't even know why forks have a lockout feature anyway. Just seems a novelty with no real world practical application. Please correct my ignorance if you find yours useful.

Blah blah, anyway, cheap second hand tora in good condish will set you back about twice the price of a service minus any new parts.
Ride it till it dies and get a newbie.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Depending on where you live too, if your bike shop doesn't deal with fork servicing then you would have to factor in postage as well. For high end forks no doubt it's worth it, but for something like Tora yes you have to question the value.

However buying another 2nd hand you risk buying something with an unknown (or even untruthful) history or maybe someone else's idea of "mint" condition might be in your case that you find once you've got it home you realize it could benefit from a service anyway! But of course that's in a critical sort of view, I'm sure there are plenty of people selling near new ones just because they already have a better fork they prefer to put on their new bike.

Otherwise your best option is to learn how to service it yourself, there would be manuals available on line and no real special tools are required...just care and time. And with forums it's easier to figure things out if you're not sure of anything in particular! There should even be some how to guides around (mtbr etc).

If you want to get rid of the pop lock you shouldn't need a whole new moco unit, you can take the spring out from the current one and just get a new blue knob (so you can lock it out manually by reaching down). Well unless things have changed drastically since I had my '06 Tora Solo Air

rotorub

Likes Dirt
[Hey all

Appreciate all the replies from everyone!

I did look on rburn for sale area and the cheapest fork currently are minimum $200.00 Plus like Pebble says I may end up having to service it which would make it $300.00. The cost of a new one RRP from a shop is about $RRP $300.00

Otherwise your best option is to learn how to service it yourself,

...... If you want to get rid of the pop lock you shouldn't need a whole new moco unit, you can take the spring out from the current one and just get a new blue knob (so you can lock it out manually by reaching down). Well unless things have changed drastically since I had my '06 Tora Solo Air
I did think about doing this just for the experience as opposed to buying a new one.... I recently built a hard tail MTB up from scratch from separate components frame, forks, cranks etc.

To fix the pop lock I think I would be up for about $70-80 in parts from ebay. But am not to fussed on the pop lock lock out, I do use it when climbing and riding on the road but other than that I often forget its there and then forget turn to it off.