Rockshox pike info

chopp

Likes Bikes
Now that the new pikes have been out for a while how is everyone finding them. Have there been any issues or problems. Are they still performing well.
Cheers

Nick_M2r

Likes Dirt
Was very interested in getting a pike due to all the glowing reviews, and have been keeping an eye on that mtbr thread.

All in all, seems most people are very happy with the fork. But for me there are few too many reports of bugs, which I'd blame on this being the first generation of the pike. Seems to be mostly related to sloppy bushings, and some people saying their CSU's are creaking. Quite a few people have been commenting that their pike has a small amount of bushing play, either from new or after a few hours of riding. Seems SRAM is warranting them no questions asked, which is good to see, but there seems to be short supply of new lowers, so some people are getting new lowers that also have bushing slop.

In the end I decided to go for a Revelation until the Pike platform matures more, because after experiencing months of lost riding time due to the whole Marzocchi 2008/2009 fiasco, I've sworn off getting first generation stuff.

Flint

Likes Dirt
Was very interested in getting a pike due to all the glowing reviews, and have been keeping an eye on that mtbr thread.

All in all, seems most people are very happy with the fork. But for me there are few too many reports of bugs, which I'd blame on this being the first generation of the pike. Seems to be mostly related to sloppy bushings, and some people saying their CSU's are creaking. Quite a few people have been commenting that their pike has a small amount of bushing play, either from new or after a few hours of riding. Seems SRAM is warranting them no questions asked, which is good to see, but there seems to be short supply of new lowers, so some people are getting new lowers that also have bushing slop.

In the end I decided to go for a Revelation until the Pike platform matures more, because after experiencing months of lost riding time due to the whole Marzocchi 2008/2009 fiasco, I've sworn off getting first generation stuff.
Good call, I should have learnt my lesson after the Fox CTD issue on my last bike but nooo I jumped in bought some pikes :) No problems yet though so fingers crossed.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I dig my Pikes, but they aint all that. Maybe I need to put more Ks on em. Don't get me wrong, they're nice, but they could be new Floats for all I know. Nothing revolutionary IMO. I'm about to buy another set for a 29er build, but tossing up on the new Formula forks. First gen gamble too though.
If the Pike single lip seals don't last long, and service intervals are short, I'll consider trying Lyrick double lip seals in the Pikes(if possible). Dropping lowers and popping seals in isn't hard, but with a busy life, ride time is more valuable maybe. Will see how quick they loose their plushness in the summer dust.

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
To be honest mine developed the bushing play within a few rides. I was going to go down the whole warranty thing. But having put a lot more km's on them since. I can say it has gotten no worse and really, you do notice it on the trail.

I don't even think about it anymore. The only time I even give it a thought is when it is mentioned on forums. Mine might not be as worse as others.

As a fork. They are good. But i reckon you could blindfold me and say I had revelations and I would agree.

All this tunability stuff is great for the first ten rides till you get a setting you are happy with, after that you barely ever think about it. I rarely even turn the rct switch.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just passed 2000km on mine, still the best all round fork I've ridden. I've also got a set of 2014 Fox 34's and there is absolutely no comparison, the Pike's are infinitely better.
If you don't want to drop $1k on the forks, I'll happily sell you the 34's for half that.
I did have to warranty my first set of Pikes because of a manufacturing defect, but the new set have been perfect. Some people don't like the 15mm only option for the axle, but if you need 20mm then you should probably have Lyrik's not Pikes.
Anyway, top fork now have 29er set on order.

omac

Likes Dirt
Just passed 2000km on mine, still the best all round fork I've ridden. I've also got a set of 2014 Fox 34's and there is absolutely no comparison, the Pike's are infinitely better.
If you don't want to drop $1k on the forks, I'll happily sell you the 34's for half that.
I did have to warranty my first set of Pikes because of a manufacturing defect, but the new set have been perfect. Some people don't like the 15mm only option for the axle, but if you need 20mm then you should probably have Lyrik's not Pikes.
Anyway, top fork now have 29er set on order.
Glad to hear that your happy with them, I'm buying a new bike soon & upgrading to Pikes at point of purchase.

Last edited:

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
They are good. You won't be disappointed.

Even taking what I previously said I would still ride them over Fox any day.

Gravityfreak

Likes Dirt
I've had mine about 6 weeks and they've developed an obnoxious creaking noise coming from the crown steerer. Warranty pain in the ass here I come.

Robb

Likes Dirt
I've had mine about 6 weeks and they've developed an obnoxious creaking noise coming from the crown steerer. Warranty pain in the ass here I come.
Mine developped a clicking noise after a week or two.. Took them back, I believe it was the "Bottomless tokens" that had come loose... simple rebuild thankfully.