Rockshox reverb vs KS LEV vs Thompson elite

SuchisLife

Likes Dirt
Hi everyone,

Looking at buying a dropper post but was after a few answers to a few questions first.

I tried a search but couldn't find too much info on the KS LEV or Thompson.

So my questions are in general.

Value for money, I can get the reverb for $100 less than the Thompson and $120 than the KS. So at the moment I'm leaning towards the reverb but are there features of either that are worth the extra coin? No loose cable on the KS would be one and intergration with odi grips which I currently run are another.

Handlebar remote, pros and cons on each model from those that have used?

Warranty and aftermarket service experiences?

Anything else worth a mention that would sway a man's decision?

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
My views are biased as I have only used the LEV.

Been completely reliable, the static cable is awesome, the remote on the bar is perhaps a little big but it integrates into ODI based grips really well.

Sales service via Pushie has been excellent, Al / nerf has been very easy to deal with. It's a little more expensive but have a read around reviews and reliability on the net, it's probably the best product.

Would not hesitate in buying another or recommending the LEV.

/end fanboy LEV love.

niki125

Likes Dirt
Same here, i've seen and played with all of the posts (bar the CrankBrothers) And the KS is by far the best in my opinion. I've got the supernatural myself and it's been nothing but reliable for the last 2 years. About to change out for a LEV to get the static cable routing but other it's been faultless.

Bodin

GMBC
Have a Reverb Stealth, would get the KS LEV if I hadn't already gone the Reverb. I'm not 100% sure that having another hydraulic line on my bike is necessary or even a good idea.

There's nothing "wrong" with the Reverb - it works as promised, but I played with a LEV yesterday and it's slick to use and obviously really well made. And not having to run it internally means shorter cables and easier servicing. Makes me wanna run ODI grips again...

wombat

Lives in a hole
Handlebar remote, pros and cons on each model from those that have used?

Warranty and aftermarket service experiences?

Anything else worth a mention that would sway a man's decision?
Firstly, lots of chat about most of these in some other threads, so search for those too.

Can't comment on the Thomson but I've owned a KS and a Reverb (stealth).

Both work, and were perfectly reliable for me. KS needed cable setup out of the box, Reverb needed a cut and line bleed. KS was very simple, Reverb took longer but is still simple, with one caveat: the fact that it's internall routed. You basically need two stands, something to hold the bike up, something to hold the post just out of the seat tube so you can get to the bleed port, but not too far because you have limited hose length, and you need both hands for the bleed so you can't hold it yourself. Setting up a normal reverb is easy, but a stealth can be a right pain in the arse. Personally, I think the hydraulic actuation for something like a seatpost is over engineered, and for an internal setup it's just silly.

Remotes: this is the biggest flaw with the Reverb for my mind. The speed controller is cool but I only adjusted it once, and the button is horrible. It takes much more pressure than the KS, and the shape is so square that the edges are really uncomfortable, another reason I don't like the hydraulic actuation. The remote on the LEV is very nice to use, but the cable loop can stick out a little far; important if you're a cable nazi.

Functionality wise, the Reverb always seems kind of slower, maybe a bit more heavily damped in it's movement. I suppose I'd say I prefer the movement of the Reverb if you have them side by side, but it's never bothered me on the trail.

Warranty/support wise, I never had any issues with either of mine, but have had dealings with both importers through work, and they've both been great. The guys at Monza have always been happy to help, and Al at Pushie is great too; in fact only the other day he sorted me out with a top plate for a LEV that was causing issues, just rang him and he sent it out. I can't see you having a problem with either, assuming you're buying local.

Overall, I'd give it to the KS, mainly for the feel at the remote, and the fact that internal hydraulic lines are a PITA. If the Reverb came on a new bike I probably wouldn't bother to swap it out, but if I was buying aftermarket I'd opt for the KS.

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
Firstly, lots of chat about most of these in some other threads, so search for those too.

Can't comment on the Thomson but I've owned a KS and a Reverb (stealth).

Both work, and were perfectly reliable for me. KS needed cable setup out of the box, Reverb needed a cut and line bleed. KS was very simple, Reverb took longer but is still simple, with one caveat: the fact that it's internall routed. You basically need two stands, something to hold the bike up, something to hold the post just out of the seat tube so you can get to the bleed port, but not too far because you have limited hose length, and you need both hands for the bleed so you can't hold it yourself. Setting up a normal reverb is easy, but a stealth can be a right pain in the arse. Personally, I think the hydraulic actuation for something like a seatpost is over engineered, and for an internal setup it's just silly.

Remotes: this is the biggest flaw with the Reverb for my mind. The speed controller is cool but I only adjusted it once, and the button is horrible. It takes much more pressure than the KS, and the shape is so square that the edges are really uncomfortable, another reason I don't like the hydraulic actuation. The remote on the LEV is very nice to use, but the cable loop can stick out a little far; important if you're a cable nazi.

Functionality wise, the Reverb always seems kind of slower, maybe a bit more heavily damped in it's movement. I suppose I'd say I prefer the movement of the Reverb if you have them side by side, but it's never bothered me on the trail.

Warranty/support wise, I never had any issues with either of mine, but have had dealings with both importers through work, and they've both been great. The guys at Monza have always been happy to help, and Al at Pushie is great too; in fact only the other day he sorted me out with a top plate for a LEV that was causing issues, just rang him and he sent it out. I can't see you having a problem with either, assuming you're buying local.

Overall, I'd give it to the KS, mainly for the feel at the remote, and the fact that internal hydraulic lines are a PITA. If the Reverb came on a new bike I probably wouldn't bother to swap it out, but if I was buying aftermarket I'd opt for the KS.
Most excellent comparison
I have owned a KS LEV and a CB Joplin, about to get a bike with a Reverb as standard so this was a great read.

SuchisLife

Likes Dirt
Thanks everyone for your input, great points about lever feel. Very important to how much I would use it I guess.

Lots of love for the LEV here, which is awesome, I can't go stealth as my frame does not have the capability and I can't guarantee my nex t bike will either. So I think the no cable growth is enough to warrant the extra $ but that coupled with good reviews and after sales service I can't go past the LEV.

Anyone have a link to Pushies website? Or am I better off just pming Nerf Herder directly?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

niki125

Likes Dirt
Where are you located? If you're in Briz I'll sort you out otherwise PM NErf and he'll point you in the direction of your nearest stockist.

SuchisLife

Likes Dirt
cheers, I'm in south west Sydney. I think blackmans in Penrith is my closest. What is a good price to be paying for a LEV. Happy to pay retail but not in to being ripped either.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have a Reverb Stealth, would get the KS LEV if I hadn't already gone the Reverb. I'm not 100% sure that having another hydraulic line on my bike is necessary or even a good idea.

There's nothing "wrong" with the Reverb - it works as promised, but I played with a LEV yesterday and it's slick to use and obviously really well made. And not having to run it internally means shorter cables and easier servicing. Makes me wanna run ODI grips again...
Would agree with this. Have 2 Stealth Reverbs which I've had to install myself, takes abit of time, but worth it. Mate has a "Stealth" style LEV, love the minimal lever that it comes with. The reverb lever is hard to use if your running shimano and a 2x10 system. Works well mounted upside down on the left if your running 1x10.

SuchisLife

Likes Dirt
Also how much post does the mechanism take up. Reason I ask is I only have 150mm of seat tube exposed at the moment, I could probably lift my seat another 20mm as it is set as a compromise of efficiency and clearance for trail riding. But don't want to buy a post and realise it's too long and won't fit comfortably.

Bodin

GMBC
Just a footnote here that my Reverb gave up today. After 5 days in NZ, with the last 4 days being some fairly intense usage on the AMAZING trails of Rotorua, it won't fully extend back up any more. Even if i pull it up, it sinks back down about halfway and I look like I'm pedalling a DH bike on the climbs. Not exactly ideal.

Probably just needs a service, but it's relevant to this thread, as I said earlier I hadn't had a problem and... now I have. Given it's internally-routed and hydraulic, chances of easily fixing it out on the trails are about zero, which is why I wouldn't go down this path again. KS LEV will be the next post I get.

SuchisLife

Likes Dirt
Cool thanks for the feedback bodin, anyone have any comments re the required post length?

Gripo

Eats Squid
Bodin your experience/failure with the dropper post is why I'm hanging off.

I'm not going to drop $500 and add 400g high up in my frame till companies nail this piece of want.

Though if Thomson do their stealth post early in the new year and knock near 100g off I will be opening my wallet!

wombat

Lives in a hole
Just a footnote here that my Reverb gave up today. After 5 days in NZ, with the last 4 days being some fairly intense usage on the AMAZING trails of Rotorua, it won't fully extend back up any more. Even if i pull it up, it sinks back down about halfway and I look like I'm pedalling a DH bike on the climbs. Not exactly ideal.

Probably just needs a service, but it's relevant to this thread, as I said earlier I hadn't had a problem and... now I have. Given it's internally-routed and hydraulic, chances of easily fixing it out on the trails are about zero, which is why I wouldn't go down this path again. KS LEV will be the next post I get.
Have you popped the seat off an checked the pressure?

cameron_15

Eats Squid
Had the same experience with Bodin. Rode down to the bottom of a 600 meter hill, pushed the button to start climbing and my seat wouldn't come back up!

I raised the post to minimum insertion, but it was still waaaay to low for comfortable climbing. the 11km walk/ride/scoot back to the car was a bit of a pain.

Props to monza though, I sent it off the next day and had a brand new post including bleed kit the day after they received it. I didn't have any further issues after that (another 4 months or so of heavy use over summer) and have since sold the bike.

KS seems to be the way to go. Although they're all going to be an extra piece that can go wrong out on the trail. When they mess up it's always going to be bad news for the rest of your ride.