Rockshox SID fork sagged to 10% @ rest

Roid Rage

Likes Dirt
I have 2014 Sid which became stuck down recently.
Supposed to be a 100mm fork, I was lucky to see 70mm. I dont think I even noticed for a few weeks.
As previously suggested in this thread it ended up being a -ve air pressure issue. Air had moved from the +ve side to the -ve.
Solution ended up being removal of the rebound knob and sending something long and skinny in the hole to release a very hidden away valve, quick hiss and problem solved.

Since there seems to be a few Sid users in this thread I am curious about peoples thoughts on the recommended air pressure for the Sid. I have been running the fork at 80psi (I have never checked the pressure until tonight after owning the bike/fork for 2 months), the chart on the fork recommends 120-130psi for my weight. I pumped the fork up accordingly and I am not confident I will see 100mm of travel unless I send it like Bender.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Just set your air pressure to get the amount of sag you want to run - somewhere between 20-30% depending on how you like your fork 20%=firmer, 30%=plusher. At 30% sag you will see a slight reduction in static length (ie. it'll get sucked down maybe 10%), but the full travel is still there when your riding.

Roid Rage

Likes Dirt
Just set your air pressure to get the amount of sag you want to run - somewhere between 20-30% depending on how you like your fork 20%=firmer, 30%=plusher. At 30% sag you will see a slight reduction in static length (ie. it'll get sucked down maybe 10%), but the full travel is still there when your riding.
Why would the recommendation table be seemingly so far off?

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Those tables have been far off the mark ever since the first RS air forks. No idea why they even bother putting them on the forks when the only way to properly set them up is by the sag method. eg. they don't have that crap on the rear shocks, you just get a recommended % sag.

Matt C

Likes Dirt
I had the same issue with my SID RL 100mm solo airs. They would not extend past 80mm no matter how much air I put in them. I pulled the lowers off, release all the air out of the air leg and as soon as I undid the circlip to remove the spring shaft, BOOM, the parts blew out past my head. So, there was the problem. Air had been trapped in the lower section of the air leg preventing it from extending. Rides a lot smoother now. Wish I'd had time to sort it out before the Granite Grind. Oh well, at least I had it sorted for Buller yesterday. I should mention also that there was minimal oil in the lowers and the dust seals had partially dry Judy Butter on them. Worthwhile giving new forks a quick basic service if you have the means.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Its also worth noting that to equalise the air between pos and neg pistons in the solo air sids you may have to put your foot on your wheel and pull up hard on the handlebars so that the piston seal goes down to where the equalisation notch is on the inside of the stanchion. It may not equalise by itself particularly if you are dropping the air pressure in the fork.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had the same travel reduction dramas in my rebas. After pulling them apart it looked as if the 15wt fork oil in the forks lowers had passed through the lower air seal and into the lower air chamber. A seal change sorted it all out