Rockshox Totem DH Coil Sag

grimrepa

Likes Bikes
I was wondering if I can run my Rockshox Totem Coil DH shocks without a preload spacer, they seem to perform well on the big stuff but feel a bit harsh on low speed bumps and the sag is under the recommended requirements. I run the blue springs (medium) and weight about 85kg

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I had a blue spring in mine which was hellishly hard and had the same issues. After much research I went for a yellow spring instead of the recommended red for my weight. Most people on the forums I looked at felt the springs Rockshox recommended for the weight of the rider were still too firm. I weigh 76kg and it's perfect. Correct sag now. I'd change the spring if I was you. Only about $60 for the spring and dead easy to do.... My 2c

DMan

I'm talking spring colours from the 2012 Rocksox site too. I think the colours of the springs changed in 2010?? So it depends on what year Totems you're running....

John U

MTB Precision
I had a blue spring in mine which was hellishly hard and had the same issues. After much research I went for a yellow spring instead of the recommended red for my weight. Most people on the forums I looked at felt the springs Rockshox recommended for the weight of the rider were still too firm. I weigh 76kg and it's perfect. Correct sag now. I'd change the spring if I was you. Only about $60 for the spring and dead easy to do.... My 2c
Would the same apply to the Lyrik forks? I'm about 80kg's and never seem to be able to get the last 2cm's of travel, even when riding with low and high speed compression backed all the way off.

It seems pretty pointless having compression damping if I'm riding with it all backed off.

The forks are coil u turn, 2010 I think.

DMan

Definitely. The guy I bought my bike off had done the same thing. It barely had 10% sag. I changed the spring for 2 colours softer and now it's good. I then reset the compression/rebound to factory default settings. I think the colours of the springs changed in 2010. I could be wrong. Check on the rockshox site and you'll see what their recommendations are. You can always sell the spring here if you need to go 1 softer again.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
Some of the older ones weren't machined very well and the damper shaft gets loaded up which reduces small bump sensitivity and just makes them feel shit in a way that only RS can master.

Pop the spring side cap off then undo the damper and depress the fork a bit, if the damper top cap pops to the side the lowers weren't machined correctly.

Sell 'em to a muppet on here and buy a second hand 66.