Rotec RL9 Gearbox

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
While it looks very nice from an engineering point of view, that front end is pretty damn ugly!

I'd love to take it for a test ride though!
Oh, and it looks to be more of a vertical axle path.

---Matt---

Last edited:

jbg

Likes Dirt
has anyone had a ride on a gbox bike? from what i see they are still protos and pretty big, is it that much better than a normal derailuer?

Plow King

Little bit.
has anyone had a ride on a gbox bike? from what i see they are still protos and pretty big, is it that much better than a normal derailuer?
Afew people have them in Australia, pm Registered_nutcase he owns a nicolai gboxx bike.

DH_slave

Likes Bikes and Dirt
they are great, on shifting and not getting your derailluer broken off, the only downside on the is the weight, even tho they aren't to heavy thats to only downside to them. (its a gt it1)

MrPlow

TMBC
While it looks very nice from an engineering point of view, that front end is pretty damn ugly!

I'd love to take it for a test ride though!
Oh, and it looks to be more of a vertical axle path.

---Matt---
I chucked it (quickly) into linkage, it should have a rearward axle path.
IMO it is slapped together and not engineered at all, and whilst I understand it was probably just a show pony, apparently they had to mill out the back side of the cranks to get them to turn:eek: I dont think that shows a real good design process and (for me) tarnishes their reputation. A 3d Modelled drawing would have impressed me more. especially if it showed some advantages like axle paths and shock rate etc..

looks like one crash and something will break
That is a stupid statement, if your not going to post something usefull why post at all?

Last edited:

mattvincent

Likes Dirt
i have riding a gear box bike, great in that you can change gears so easily and the way it works. and being able to change without pedaling is a huge advantage.

i must say i am still fond of the "soon to be old school" derailure. keeps things simple.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
i must say i am still fond of the "soon to be old school" derailure. keeps things simple.
I'm glad you're handy enough to think that derailleurs are simple. I got so sick of trying to make mine work properly i converted most of my bikes to single speed.

Rohloffs may be incredibly complex bits of machinery but i understand that they require bugger all maintenance once they are installed (something like an oil change every 20 000km?).

And as an aside the spell checker on Firefox knew how to spell Rohloff after I tried to call it a rollhoff. Can't see Internet exploder pulling that off.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Not as simple as an internally housed Rohloff(Lahar,Nicolai style),hmmm change 25mm of oil when you put a new chain on and that's it,seems pritty simple to me.

Last edited:

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I chucked it (quickly) into linkage, it should have a rearward axle path.
IMO it is slapped together and not engineered at all, and whilst I understand it was probably just a show pony, apparently they had to mill out the back side of the cranks to get them to turn:eek: I dont think that shows a real good design process and (for me) tarnishes their reputation. A 3d Modelled drawing would have impressed me more. especially if it showed some advantages like axle paths and shock rate etc..
It's interesting that they've gone for the rearward axle path. Wasn't the original Lawwill designed to be as vertical as possible?

As a prototype I think the design has some engineering merit however if it were a production model I'd be more skeptical. I'd say that they had very basic requirements when designing that bike, basically just install the gearbox make it look somewhat like the RL9. The fact that they have managed to keep the same Lawwill rear end and get the gearbox in is pretty impressive to me after looking briefly at what it would take to do it myself in even a single pivot.

It will be interesting if a small company such as Rotec can come up with a feasible production model of a gearbox bike at a somewhat reasonable price.

---Matt---

Jonny J

Likes Bikes
g-boxx lawwill

Thanks to Kegs for getting this thread started if for anything, its entertainment value.

And thanks for the props Matt I appreciate it and as for our efforts to produce a working proto, yes it is an ugly duckling but then again its a proto
and its a Lawwill and...well you get my meaning.

And as all can see, it was never meant to be accepted by the general public as a sexy production piece. It cost money to produce sexy you know...

As for the machining on the backside of the cranks that was done by Nicolai for clearance from the gearbox itself and were included with the gearbox.

This proto was meant to have Karls 7 speed (NON-ROHLOFF) gearbox. These were not ready in time for Interbike 06 and because of this it was a mad scramble to make the inital design work with the 14 speed.

As for riding it, it works, it feels as nice and it does want it was designed it do and for being done in such short order I'am pleased. As far as i'am concerned it proves a point......that you can build a floating shock, Lawwill 4 bar link as a gearbox!

Our next samples will be more refined but then again Rotec won't build a production gear box bike for at least 3 more years and even then it'll be a very limited run. Hell I'am stoked it even got made for the show and for that reason it was a success, heck their were only maybe 3 or 4 total in vegas and Rotec was the only one you could ride and pedal around!

Designs like this are meant to inspire thought and create feedback which btw is very important for a small builder like myself to get from the gereral riding public.

Thanks for the forum Kegs!

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Here's some feed back for you J, Build the fricken thing now while it's the only non mid/low single pivot(or virtual single pivot) out there.You have the market sown up although I guess weight with either G-Box would be challenging. Unless of cause you're just waiting for a superior design(c'mon Rohloff,8spd racing box).
Sorry Nicko(lol) I'll fix her up,I knew it was wrong but just couldn't remember.

MrPlow

TMBC
Thanks to Kegs for getting this thread started if for anything, its entertainment value.

And thanks for the props Matt I appreciate it and as for our efforts to produce a working proto, yes it is an ugly duckling but then again its a proto
and its a Lawwill and...well you get my meaning.

And as all can see, it was never meant to be accepted by the general public as a sexy production piece. It cost money to produce sexy you know...

As for the machining on the backside of the cranks that was done by Nicolai for clearance from the gearbox itself and were included with the gearbox.

This proto was meant to have Karls 7 speed (NON-ROHLOFF) gearbox. These were not ready in time for Interbike 06 and because of this it was a mad scramble to make the inital design work with the 14 speed.

As for riding it, it works, it feels as nice and it does want it was designed it do and for being done in such short order I'am pleased. As far as i'am concerned it proves a point......that you can build a floating shock, Lawwill 4 bar link as a gearbox!

Our next samples will be more refined but then again Rotec won't build a production gear box bike for at least 3 more years and even then it'll be a very limited run. Hell I'am stoked it even got made for the show and for that reason it was a success, heck their were only maybe 3 or 4 total in vegas and Rotec was the only one you could ride and pedal around!

Designs like this are meant to inspire thought and create feedback which btw is very important for a small builder like myself to get from the gereral riding public.

Thanks for the forum Kegs!
Great to here from you Sully.

Thanks for clearing up the crank thing, this was my major concern (apart from a little untidyness, but hey, like you said, you already know that).

So it is a rearward axle path right?
How does it ride compared to a conventional Lawill? Small bump sensitivity better??

You have inspired me to possibly play with my DH9 and a Nexus 8 speed I have lying around home. :D I started playing around modelling it up and chucking into linkage last night with interesting results.

One thing, where your gearbox is placed, it must be close to zero chain growth anyway right?

Again thanks, big props to manufacturers who get onto forums and actually respond.

It's interesting that they've gone for the rearward axle path. Wasn't the original Lawwill designed to be as vertical as possible?
I believe you are right, but a vertical wheelpath from what I can understand is a compramise between rearward and chaingrowth, something you don't need to consider when the gearbox is higher. (Look at balfa/canfields rollers and hondas output compared to their rearward axle path)

Last edited: