Rotor rub - hub related??

Boreit

Likes Dirt
trance brake noise

my trance x does this whenever i change brake pads or disc for a bit. a sandy track normally beds things in quicker & despatches the noise. its painful though while it is carrying on. i guess some frames are just prone to vibrating & exciting the noise more than others.......

danj

Likes Bikes
To continue from my earlier post....

I put the new pads in (XTR resin type) and gave them a good run in, and as expected the noise is still there, probably worse, and as per previous times, only when I stop pedalling. Start pedalling or apply some pressure to the lever and the noise is gone.

I then tried and old wheel with a hayes rotor on it, took the bike out for a good braking session, and not a sound. I did everything I had done on the XT wheel, and nothing but sweet silence. Unfortunately using this wheel long term isn't really an option as it already done its fair share of work.

So its either the rotor or the XT wheel that I have a problem with. I checked the rotor on the and it is on tight enough, not really sure what else to check on the wheel itself, so my next experiment will be to swap the rotors front and rear, and see if the problem follows the rotor or not.

Any other suggestions, I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on what things could go wrong with the wheel to cause the problem and what I can check on the wheel.

Thanks,

Eval

Squid
Try lubing the qr release lever and cam. It maybe that the joint is dry and you 'think' that the wheel is on tight, but it may be 'loose'. A dry/gritty qr lever will affect axle preload and in turn change the rotor position when the frame is loaded.

danj

Likes Bikes
It might be the hub yet......

I haven't had time to change rotors yet, but I did have a closer look at the rear hub. On removing the qr mechanism and having a look at how it was working, I also had a feel of the axle. The drive side had no play, however the braking side had approx 0.5-1.0mm of play. I'm guessing this may be the cause of my problem....

Having had no experience with wheel problems, can those in the know tell me what may need to be done, and what sort of damage will the back pocket feel?

I'd be interested to hear from those with the same problem if they have any play in the non drive side axle.....

danj

Likes Bikes
Bike checking 101:

Step 1. Swap wheels with a mate go for a ride compare notes for noise.

Step 2. If it's the wheels start checking here, QR, axles, bearings, rotor bolts.

And the bear wins by a nose........

Had had the hub serviced today, put the wheel back in and on the few laps around the backyard tonight there was no noise, so it's looks like it's solved....

In Summary: If you have problems with your brakes, get your hubs serviced.....

Thanks for all the responses

jham66

Likes Dirt
And the bear wins by a nose........

Had had the hub serviced today, put the wheel back in and on the few laps around the backyard tonight there was no noise, so it's looks like it's solved....

In Summary: If you have problems with your brakes, get your hubs serviced.....

Thanks for all the responses
So i guess you are the best person to answer your previous question....... How much was the damage?

danj

Likes Bikes
$35 @ the lbs to clean it up, & repack it with grease. Aparantly the bearings were OK, which should be the case after only 6 months use.

They said there was a fair amount of dirt and crap in there. Everything feels nice and tight again.

HerdingCats

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the heads up

$35 @ the lbs to clean it up, & repack it with grease. Aparantly the bearings were OK, which should be the case after only 6 months use.

They said there was a fair amount of dirt and crap in there. Everything feels nice and tight again.
Hey danj,
Thanks for the heads up. I have the same problem, unfortunately thought I'd warped the rear disc and purchased a replacement before I got to your posts ... *sigh*

danj

Likes Bikes
The caliper still needed to be manipulated into the right position, but it seems to have worked.....

I have a Kona with the same Shimano brakes. Every now and then I get a similar noise with rotor rub mainly on the front brake. But I put this down to dust and dirt getting in between the resin pads and the rotor and causing an abrasive reaction that deglazes the surfaces of the pads, which scuffs up them up ready for more braking(normal pad wear). When pads get too hot ,they will get a shiny glaze on them which effectively reduces braking (brake fade). If you pulled the pads out and rubbed the faces with some light emery paper you will take that glaze off and all will be good. But I believe that dirt and dust does the same thing as the emery, all but a bit at a time. So what I reckon i'm hearing with my brakes is the normal brake wear.The rubbing noise can be quite audible at times, I gently apply the bakes on and off whilst riding and this usually dislodges the crap and all is good. My bike is only 4 months old and this has happened on and off since i've had it.
Cheers L