Rotorua bike hire ?

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

The wife is off to NZ for a few days of work and has planned 2 days at Rotorua (yeah I am jealous)

Can anyone recommend a decent bike rental place or is she better off lugging her bike over there with her ?

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
lol I wish !! Her work is paying for her trip.. I did check the prices and its too much money for what would only be 2 days riding :(

Will be there in March with a Winnebago so I can hold out till then :)

herzog

Likes Dirt
Good question, I was wondering the same thing from those who have been over there.

I'm going over there for a few of days, it's not primarily a biking trip, but I thought I would get a couple of days riding in at Rotorua.

I'm not particularly keen to lug my bike over there, and was wondering if the available rental bikes are any good?

Can you hire a decent dually, or are they all clapped out old hardtails?

Cypher

Likes Dirt
I was just there with my partner. It was fantastic. We took our own bikes as it was primarily a riding trip.

On the weekends you can hire a bike right at the MTB carpark at Rotorua. I didn't have a close look at them, but they seemed reasonably ok (not like some of the clapped out hire bikes you can get here!).

Also the trails at Rotorua are pretty smooth - not rocky or sandy. So you may be able to get away with a lesser bike.

I'm thinking of hiring a bike the next time I'm over (which shall be soon!).

NZ and Aust customs are pretty attentive (anal) about dirt on the bikes etc. Packing bikes in boxes for flight is a pain and now you can have only one piece of baggage - which is your bike box. So your clothes and other items are just stuffed in around the bike. Try keeping that under 20kg! (esp when you have climbing equipment too). Finally travelling with bikes in a campervan was not ideal either - especially when considering keeping your bikes locked as per the insurance companies wishes.

All this means that however crappy a bike is, for a weekend jaunt a hire bike would be ideal. Flights are direct to Rotorua. Yay!

No. they weren't clapped out hard tails. lol. I guess it depends where you rent them from:eek:. But any way. when i was there earlier this year i rented bikes from bike Vegas. i had an intense. but the frame was a bit big for me. lol. so i ended up going for an iron horse. from memory. when i rented from them there was an option of getting a GT DHI but that was the more expensive option.

And the trials. OMG. So groomed. first time i rode the jumps track at rotorua i was like HOLY SHIT:eek::eek:. It was sooo smooth and flowy it was amazing.

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
She'll have no trouble. Bike vegas is a massive store with a great range, and there are quite a few tourism companies doing bike stuff at the park too.

I think there are also Giants up for rent, I saw a lot of Trance's and Trance X's around the place when I was there a month ago.

You should definitely try and join in on the trip though, Whakarewarewa MTB park is heaven on earth!! It's depressing to be back home...

If she has the time, sus out the shuttle bus and go right to the top.

Even just the run down Split Enz and the Pondy trails will keep her going for a few blissful hours.

Definitely pick up a map for a NZ $5er as well.

ssjgogeta

Likes Dirt
Bike Vegas

+1 for Bike Vegas.

Just came back from NZ a couple of months ago. Rented a couple of Haro Mary 1x9 29ers and also a GT Force. By far the best quality hire bikes in NZ.

The dude with the mobile trailer who hangs out in one of the entrances to the bike park has very low end stuff. Ok for a fire road cruise but that's all.

After travelling in NZ, hiring sh!theap after sh!theap, I will be taking my own bike next time. Also if you are tall and normally ride an XL size, most of the time you will be stuck on a L size.

If you can't take your own bike, Bike Vegas is your best bet.