Rotorua Skyline Gravity Park

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
In a few weeks I will be in Rotorua for a weekend of riding. I have been looking at the Skyline info and was hoping to accumulate some reviews in this thread and resolve Skyline specific questions

My first question relates to ticket purchasing. I'm not certain of pushing out a full day of goldola powered runs, but thinking that a 1/2 day just won't cut it either. The solution appears to be buying a set number of uplifts. How many laps is realistic in a day?

Also the photos make it all look smooth and loamey. I will be traveling with a 4x bike, so I'm not really after much in the way of gnarly rock gardens...will i be caught out?

Don't worry, i do intend to ride other places as well.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Deadbeats

Half a day is plenty,the other half go smoke the peace pipe and lay back at the brewpub in town. Skyline is more of a tourist attraction.....

Max at 150 mm travel

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Half a day is plenty,the other half go smoke the peace pipe and lay back at the brewpub in town. Skyline is more of a tourist attraction.....

Max at 150 mm travel
Is this going to turn out like the time one of my "friends" convinced me to ride the Queenstown equivalent, only to be really let down by how lame everything was at the top?

binner

Hath shat hymself
You can't handle the troof....

Is this going to turn out like the time one of my "friends" convinced me to ride the Queenstown equivalent, only to be really let down by how lame everything was at the top?
Probibly, depends how much you love riding a 4X bike in redwoods and a tourist attraction gondola with resturant at the top...... <<<< the last 4 words were a hint ;-)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Probibly, depends how much you love riding a 4X bike in redwoods and a tourist attraction gondola with resturant at the top...... <<<< the last 4 words were a hint ;-)
I do enjoy looking epic with my bike while chilling in restaurants. Reckon I'll buy 1 up and blow the savings on being cool.

Zac Hinton

St Bernard
I haven't been to Rotorua, but if it's anything like Skyline QT then half day is heaps. If you are only in town for one day then go the full day option. The arm pump is the issue I had, it is steep in QT

empee

Likes Bikes
Half day will be plenty. Actually 2 runs so you can say you've done it.
Much better riding at Redwoods..

binner

Hath shat hymself
ball of puke!

don't forget to smash a roll out in a ZORB while you are there......

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was at Rotorua a month ago and was advised upon our arrival by the locals don't bother Skyline, go now and catch the midweek shuttle at Redwoods. Can't say what Skyline is like as we never made it back there. The local sentiment seemed to be spend your money on the Redwoods shuttle.

Michae1

Likes Dirt
Spent 10 days in Roto towards the end of last year, we did one 4hr session at skyline plus some luge runs and lunch.

Did 13 runs of combos consisting of sprint warrior, moss piglet and hipster as the other sections at the bottom were closed for crankworx prep, bit of stopping to play on sections, the mates missus did 16 of Sprint Warrior and Hipster.

There has been some new work done since our visit, so I'd check it out next time.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Cheers bro

Half day will be plenty. Actually 2 runs so you can say you've done it.
Much better riding at Redwoods..
Redwoods is way better, shuttle bus is well worth the money ........I just tried to always end up back near the bus and did some nice shuttle runs until I cracked my dropouts.....that was the end of rotorkunt...then it was on to boozing and making friends :whoo:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well my plans changed rapidly. Slope style bike was stolen while at dinner. Looks like the trip will either be with my DH rig or I scrounge up parts from around the house and rebuild my nomad. Maybe I ditch the bike thing all together and just go Zorbing.

dh1

Likes Dirt
Well my plans changed rapidly. Slope style bike was stolen while at dinner. Looks like the trip will either be with my DH rig or I scrounge up parts from around the house and rebuild my nomad. Maybe I ditch the bike thing all together and just go Zorbing.
That really sucks! I should have a near complete loaner bike by the end of the week that you could use for either parts towards your nomad or you could complete the loaner and use it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That really sucks! I should have a near complete loaner bike by the end of the week that you could use for either parts towards your nomad or you could complete the loaner and use it.
Thanks for the offer, much appreciated.I've got enough parts here to rebuild the nomad for one last ride, so will all be sweet.

DJR

Likes Dirt
I went in Nov last year. Just did one half day at Skyline with my trance. That was plenty. Still managed 8 or 10 runs I think in the 4 hours, they're pretty short runs really. I just went down the Sprint Warrior track and then either followed that to the end or took the link track that joins up with the bottom of Hipster.

I was surprised at how good it was but I would make it a half day or a day max, you'll get bored quickly compared to all that's on offer in the redwoods

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
poodle, it wasn't the bright green bike you just built up was it ?
if you find that you do need something to get a bike together
hit me up....i still owe you one....