RRR, how did ya go?

callum1

Likes Dirt
how was it? good weather? i had to go to brisbane on the weekend as my mate selfishly held his engagement party on sat night.
And was pretty annoyed i missed it.

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
I rode in the 70km event on Sunday, my 7th RRR.
The weather was awesome, it had been a bit showery and crappy in the week before hand but started clearing on Saturday, Sunday was a sparkling blue day. The track was perfect, just enough moisture to keep the dust down but not enough to create problems with huge bog holes as have been the go in other years. The top section of the 70km race is a great ride in its own right, predominately single track with some sections really testing the once a year roadies come MTBers. Great fun and worth riding let alone racing
There were said to be 508 entrants but I heard on the finish line that it had exceeded 600 with late entries. The 70km race had 171 entrants of which yours truly finished 95th overall and 30th out of 50 in my class [Masters men]
My time was 4 hours 3 minutes.
I'm very happy with that, my bike ran perfectly the entire race with not a single issue, while tired at the finish I made sure I was properly hydrated and fed so I have no excuses at all, I could not have gone faster [excluding a 1 minute stop for a leak, at least I was hydrated well ;)
Roll on next year, I will "graduate" to super masters where at least I will not be giving away 10 years to the young uns in the class!

If you have ever been thinking of a reason to come to Cairns the RRR should be it, it gets bigger and better each year as part of the Cairns adventure festival, combine the race with some brilliant local riding, a trip to the reef, a spot of sight seeing and you have the makings of a brilliant holiday not just for the MTBers but for the entire family.

indica

Serial flasher
Jeff, Please tell me you didnt ride the reign?
Jeff rode the Trance. I, however rode the Sanction and was glad with my choice during the multiple dodgy passing manoeuvres down the Bump Track.
I rode the 35km and finished 164 Masters (50). Well happy with that. I had a ball.

curly66

Cannon Fodder
how was it? good weather? i had to go to brisbane on the weekend as my mate selfishly held his engagement party on sat night.
And was pretty annoyed i missed it.
It was my first RRR, first time down The Bump and this is my first post!
Missed last year's caus of the rain and date change....anyway as Jeff said the weather was sparkling and track about perfect. Rode the 70k, finished 41st and was well happy with that.
Reckon the track is even nicer than the Paluma Push with more variety and some bigger hills. Some patches of quarry rock caused grief for more than a few I saw fixing flats. Couldn't get over hardly seeing any other riders during the middle section either side of Wetherby - like I had the whole track to myself.....weird but nice too. Going down the Bump was memorable with dust and smell of HOT HOT brakes in the air. Was expecting the beach run to be easier but it was a bit of a slog....that sand sucks your tyres and the south-easter didn't have much shove. Still what a way to finish and I'll give it a go again next year for sure.

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
Jeff, Please tell me you didnt ride the reign?
Nope, I rode my Trance
Seriously considering doing in next year on a $10.00 dump special - dual suspension of course
I think after seven RRR's it may be time to take it a bit less seriously and see if it can be done on a piece of junk : )

Stinky

Likes Dirt
Nope, I rode my Trance
Seriously considering doing in next year on a $10.00 dump special - dual suspension of course
I think after seven RRR's it may be time to take it a bit less seriously and see if it can be done on a piece of junk : )
Some of the original Rockwheelers (Mozzie and Brian) did it a few years ago on the bikes they used in one of the very early RRRs. Had a ball by all accounts

I will mention to USM that they should have a retro class.

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
Some of the original Rockwheelers (Mozzie and Brian) did it a few years ago on the bikes they used in one of the very early RRRs. Had a ball by all accounts

I will mention to USM that they should have a retro class.
I'm not thinking 20 year old retro classics, I'm thinking true junk - Think Huffy, Dunlop, Kent etc brand new the bikes not costing more than $200.00 : ) and having spent the last several years of their lives out in the weather next to the compost heap. Lube the chain, check the brakes and go for it