RS Reverb hose crash damage

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
Hey all
My son crashed his Remedy and torn the hose out of the button housing on his reverb.
Is it as simple as unscrewing the fitting, trimming the damaged hose, swapping for a new barb and bleeding?
I have bleed and fitted tons of Avid and Shimano brakes and have the pro bleed kits for both.
Are the barbs used for the reverb the same as Avids
Do you have to use Reverb oil? Alternatives?

Yes we could take it to the LBS but there is a big race Sunday (RRR) so I doubt he would get a service booking

And yes YouTube and Google are my friends and I will be looking

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I'll double-check at work tomorrow, but I think the Reverb bleed fittings are the same as Avid brake ones. Check that no threads have been damaged in the crash; if the compression nut has been torn out it's likely to have taken the thread from the button body with it, so brace yourself for needing a new button.

Do note that the Reverb line is bled with a lightweight (2.5W) suspension oil, NOT any hydraulic brake oil. Thoroughly clean your bleed syringes before and after bleeding the Reverb to ensure no contamination of either the post or the brake fluids.

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
Cheers Duckmeister
The threads should be fine, the hose has torn off leaving the barb in place.
So Reverb specific oil not required? just a good 2.5w suspension oil?
I appreciate the difference between mineral oil and brake fluid so no issues there.

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
At the lever they use a screw in fitting, no barb (it's not under much pressure, unlike a brake). So yes, just cut and screw fitting in as long as the fitting is und amazed. Yes, you need to use reverb oil, unless you manage to find 0 or 2.5wt suspension fluid (I think). The avid fittings for bleeding work but any dot fluid residue that gets into a reverb may damage seals. I'd only ever use a reverb bleed kit to be sure.

What shop doesn't have at least a 3 day turnaround these days? Where are you located?

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
Its hardly a key part of suspension, the oil weight doesnt matter so much as such, i would be more than happy using and standard mineral oil you have lying around.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The threads should be fine, the hose has torn off leaving the barb in place.
Well that's good to hear, should be able to recycle the barb, but a new olive will be needed.
So Reverb specific oil not required? just a good 2.5w suspension oil?
I've got a bottle of Reverb juice at work, and I'm positive the small print says it's just 2.5W suspension oil. In fact I've used it to thin down 7.5W when I wound up with that instead of 5W. So yeah, if you can get your hands on any 2.5W it'll in all probability be fine.

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
Looks like you guys have it covered... I did the same last year. Just check the end of the hose to see if there in anything jammed in there. I thought I could just reattach the hose when I realised the hose barb was actually quite small, sharp and was snapped clean off in the end of the hose !!!!

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just be wary that your avid bleed kit has been used for DOT fluid, which will eat through the seals of reverbs (and xlocs) very quickly.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Gravedig:

I just snapped the barb on my reverb remote, and need a new barb. Does anyone know if any Sydney shops have them in stock? I see Cyclinic and FTR have them in Brisbane, but I'd like to pick one up as the postage is probably going to cost as much as the barb will.
710845675270.jpghttp://www.fortheriders.com.au/rockshox-reverb-remote-hose-barb