RS1 fork service warning!

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’ve serviced a couple of RS1 forks recently (not mine, I don’t own any )

Second set was leaking oil and air out of the drive side. The only problem was that it was leaking air through the air shaft orings and not to the outside world (found his out later ☹).

As soon as I unscrewed the air shaft bolt, the stanction shot out like a gun due the air pressure build up behind it.

Luckily had the forks in a bike stand facing down into a bucket on a wooden chair. Broke the bucket and got covered in oil that was sitting in the bucket. If no bucket there it would have smashed into the concrete floor or worse if I had them horizontal the stanction could have seriously injured me as it shot out like a projectile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lucky my new rules is all ways wear glasses in the garage!

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The fork legs have 10ml of 15w oil in them for lube. The build up of pressure in the fork leg was causing the oil to leak out the seals.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Had something similar happen with a set of Bluto's air shaft shot out into the garage roof (though I had bleed all the air, must have been some in the negative chamber still), put a massive gouge in the plaster wife heard it from the back of the house and not happy.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Squishy reverbs cause projectile poppets valves too.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had something similar happen with a set of Bluto's air shaft shot out into the garage roof (though I had bleed all the air, must have been some in the negative chamber still), put a massive gouge in the plaster wife heard it from the back of the house and not happy.
She was more worried about the house than you I'm guessing