Rucksack / travel pack: help me!

wombat

Lives in a hole
This is a bit of a last minute thread I guess, as I may yet end up going shopping for this tomorrow, but oh well, better late than never.

Story is I'm heading to Europe for a while, not entirely a typical backpacking trip, but there's bound to be a bit of that style of travel along with some cruiser stuff and longer stays. So I need a pack.

We're not planning on climbing mountains or travelling through deepest darkest Mongolia, so I don't really need the ducks nuts in durability, but I don't want a cheap shitty thing that'll fall apart in three months either. I'm thinking around the 75L kinda mark, and I really like the idea of a detachable day pack. Hybrid pack also seems like a great idea, the more I think about the dual access the more I like it.

I had a look at Kathmandu yesterday (got giftcards from there for chrissy) and their Interloper pack seemed to tick the boxes. Had one fitted up and the long harness seemed to be pretty comfy, although I did find the square edge on the shoulder straps digging in a little but the bloke assured me they're a foam that's designed to wear in...
At $299 it's about spot on for price too.

A quick look on the mountain designs website and I see their Endeavour pack which looks like a pretty similar animal and is down to the same price.

I've heard good things about One Planet, and the guy in SnowGum was talking up the warranty on Eagle Creek bags, and then there's all the others out there! I'd love something with some built in camera storage (and already had a few suggestions in the Photo Snob thread) but those sorts of packs seem to be very specific and rare in store, and I'm not really willing to buy something I can't try on.

I guess my real question is are the in house bags from Kathmandu or Mountain Designs a reasonable choice? Because I can drive 15 minutes to my local Kathmandu and buy their bag, hoping the straps really do bed in a bit; or I can take a day and schlep into the city to check out all the stores on Kent street and compare a few more. Am I likely to find much difference or better value, or am I just going to be wasting my time?

Help me well travelled farkers!

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a 45l and a 55l Blackwolf pack I'm pretty happy with that seem to be the goods.. I've also heard good things about Macpac gear..

brodie_rider

Likes Dirt
Wombat,

I just spent 4 months over in europe living entirely out of the 75L interloper bag from Kathmandu. That thing was incredibly reliable! Was water resistant enough to withstand the bad weather days and still keep my clothes dry, and the large access comes incredibly handy when your plan to keep things in order turns in to a mess. I had the exact same issue with the C3 harness thinking it was going to be a horrible experience, but with a bit of weight in it and after wearing it for five minutes you forget completely about it.

The day pack appears to maybe bit a bit flimsy, and not being able to put a lock on the zippers sat in the back of my mind for a little bit when travelling through some of the sketchier cities over there, but it all worked out well. I'd recommend taking a larger backpack if you could be bothered and just wearing it over your front, the small one doesn't hold all that much.

A feature I'd seriously recommend looking for, available on the kathmandu packs, is the pull out cover that you can zip over your straps. I'm not sure what other bags have as I only really looked at this one and one other, but proved invaluable when jumping on to planes as the check in staff make you wrap your bag if you don't have this.

All in all, I loved this pack and would recommend it.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
This is a bit of a last minute thread I guess, as I may yet end up going shopping for this tomorrow, but oh well, better late than never.

Story is I'm heading to Europe for a while, not entirely a typical backpacking trip, but there's bound to be a bit of that style of travel along with some cruiser stuff and longer stays. So I need a pack.

We're not planning on climbing mountains or travelling through deepest darkest Mongolia, so I don't really need the ducks nuts in durability, but I don't want a cheap shitty thing that'll fall apart in three months either. I'm thinking around the 75L kinda mark, and I really like the idea of a detachable day pack. Hybrid pack also seems like a great idea, the more I think about the dual access the more I like it.

I had a look at Kathmandu yesterday (got giftcards from there for chrissy) and their Interloper pack seemed to tick the boxes. Had one fitted up and the long harness seemed to be pretty comfy, although I did find the square edge on the shoulder straps digging in a little but the bloke assured me they're a foam that's designed to wear in...

A quick look on the mountain designs website and I see their Endeavour pack which looks like a pretty similar animal and is down to the same price.

I've heard good things about One Planet, and the guy in SnowGum was talking up the warranty on Eagle Creek bags, and then there's all the others out there! I'd love something with some built in camera storage (and already had a few suggestions in the Photo Snob thread) but those sorts of packs seem to be very specific and rare in store, and I'm not really willing to buy something I can't try on.

I guess my real question is are the in house bags from Kathmandu or Mountain Designs a reasonable choice? Because I can drive 15 minutes to my local Kathmandu and buy their bag, hoping the straps really do bed in a bit; or I can take a day and schlep into the city to check out all the stores on Kent street and compare a few more. Am I likely to find much difference or better value, or am I just going to be wasting my time?

I've owned and travelled with a fair few packs, and nothing has come close to the quality of One Planet (that I've used). At a glance, the Interloper looks much better than the mountain designs pack. 75lt is about as big as you'd want to go - you'll end up filling it with boat anchors. I've found 60lt to be a perfect size, doesn't allow too much hoarding but still big enough to carry everything you need - and light!
I'd be slightly wary of someone saying the foam will "bed in", none of my packs have really changed since I had them fitted... that said, you probably wont have it on your back very often, unless youre trecking with it, you'll end up throwing it on a bus/taxi and carrying it to your hostel!

Have you backpacked before? If not, pack what you think you need, then take half of it out, then find a pack to suit :) Travel light!!

wombat

Lives in a hole
Have you backpacked before? If not, pack what you think you need, then take half of it out, then find a pack to suit :) Travel light!!
Nooooo! I'm a terrible hoarder; be prepared and all that! :p

Thanks for the feedback though guys, that's a pretty suitable recommendation BR, thanks man. I reckon I'll see what time I get up tomorrow, and whether I can be bothered heading into the city. Otherwise I might just grab the Kathmandu bag and be done with it. The bloke in there did mention that you can actually fit a larger daypack from their range to the bag too, might be worth considering depending on how much photo gear I end up needing to carry on a day to day basis.

Arete

Likes Dirt

Ok - so this year I have:

May - conference/leisure trip: Costa Rica, Corocovado peninsula
June - Workshop: Athens Georgia
July - Conference: Ottawa, Can
August - Teaching workshop/fieldwork: Kenya, Uganda, DRC
November - Conference: Lima, Peru

I have 3 bags:

I have a Kathmandu hybrid travel pack - this thing has been everywhere. It's of middling quality, but nothing major has gone wrong with it in 5 or so years. The zip off daypack was a piece of crap. I ditched it long ago in favor of a decent daypack, THis thing is my usual go to bag for not too intense trips. Was pretty cheap at the Kathmandu 50% off sale, but I would be shitty with the quality if I had of paid full retail - and there's a dozen higher quality options at the full retail price point.

I have a Macpac mountaineering pack - this is my go to for intense travel where my bag will be on my back a lot. It is comfortable to carry 25% of my bodyweight in it all day. Quality is superb. Price was horrific ($900).

I have a Pelican roll on - I can either pack it with sensitive field gear or dive gear, or a weeks worth of crap. It keeps it safe, can be carried on but it a prick to manhandle anywhere.

I've been pretty satisfied with my Kathmandu bag and think you'd be fine with it, but it won't blow you away. zip off daypacks suck, forget it and get a decent daypack.

wombat

Lives in a hole
I've been pretty satisfied with my Kathmandu bag and think you'd be fine with it, but it won't blow you away. zip off daypacks suck, forget it and get a decent daypack.
Cool, I read a few similar things late last night, just now trying to figure out how to best carry the daypack. Is there some sort of 'semi-universal' system for attaching a day pack to the shoulder straps so it sits in front of the main bag? Or do I just buy some small carabinas and use them to clip it on?

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure I'm insanely jealous of your work schedule.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
I've used a mountain designs gulliver 75 as my travel pack. Has full hiking frame but opens like a suitcase instead of a proper stuff-down hiking pack. So far it has been incredible. It has about 18 months of actual travel time where it was basically my house, most of that in semi-third world on shitty buses, boats and pickups. The pack has lasted really well and is only now starting to show signs of wear but even that is mostly cosmetic. Has also been on a few proper hikes and been fine for that-a bit heavier than ideal, but still fine.
Has a few really good features:
-Internal compression area so bulky jeans, polarfleeces etc can be compressed using internal straps. Makes packing really easy
-plenty of external strapping locations-i've strapped a full set of riding armour to the outside before with rope and cling wrap.
-Multiple internal pockets including camel back holder
-external cover that zips over all the straps and frame so they are protected inflight. Keeps all the webbing etc in much better condition for longer.

It has a zip off pack, but as arete said they suck. get a real day pack that suits your size requirements.

Comes in designs, a tall and a wide depending on your frame.

So far I've been really impressed and the quality has been phenomenal considering the price.

Arete

Likes Dirt
Cool, I read a few similar things late last night, just now trying to figure out how to best carry the daypack. Is there some sort of 'semi-universal' system for attaching a day pack to the shoulder straps so it sits in front of the main bag? Or do I just buy some small carabinas and use them to clip it on?
I just put the daypack on "backwards" (i.e. straps over shoulders, bag on chest) then put the pack on so the pack straps hold the daypack ones in place. any method of clipping it on lets it swing all over the place and realistically, you never carry your crap like that for very far.

The checklist for a bag I would fly with:

- Zips so you can get in the front as well as the top. This means that you don't have to haul everything out through the top when you inevitably need that thing in the bottom of your bag at the bus stop/check in line etc.

- Harness cover.

- Decent padded hip belt/harness

- Secondary closure method, as sometimes the buckles get popped open/smashed/pulled loose by the baggage gorillas.

- I usually keep a spare buckle or two in the lid.

- A hidey pocket for a US $20 somewhere (mine has it on the back of the lumbar pad) is nice.

Enjoy your trip.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Bought a one planet 75 lt (expandable to 90, with removable day pack) hybrid 15 years ago. It spent 2 years backpacking in Europe, uk and central America. Used heaps, still as good as ever. In case missed it, are you buying a hybrid? Better idea if you are in and out of there constantly.

wombat

Lives in a hole
In case missed it, are you buying a hybrid? Better idea if you are in and out of there constantly.
Yeah, definately a hybrid, there's no way I could deal with a hiking pack (I suck too much at organising my packing) but I would still like to have top access as well.

Thanks heaps for all the help dudes, I actually came pretty close to ordering an F-Stop Satori, but I just don't think it'll quite be big enough, it didn't have a harness cover, and shipping was going to be $130 if I wanted it any faster than "we don't know how long it will take". Still a wicked looking bag, just not for me on this trip.

I checked out some One Plant stuff too, and they all pretty much felt tough as nails. Probably much tougher than what I need though, and definately a little more than I would like to have to spend. I was lucky enough to have a mate who has the Kathmandu pack for an upcoming trip, so I borrowed that and packed it up to check it out, and I reckon it'll do the job for now. I can definately see the point of better packs but I reckon this one will do the job for now. (If I end up posting from France in the LTIH thread about how my pack split open and dumped my gear in a swamp or something, feel free to say "I told you so").

PS: Moorey that is an awesome offer dude, thanks, but I think I'll feel more comfortable only being responsible for my own shit. :)

moorey

call me Mia
PS: Moorey that is an awesome offer dude, thanks, but I think I'll feel more comfortable only being responsible for my own shit. :)
Any time you change your mind, it's there. Tough as nails and comfy to wear. Couldn't kill it if you tried. ;)

Graunched

Likes Dirt
Don't know if you have looked at any of the macpac range? Yeah the quality is not what it used to be but neither is the price so you get what you pay for I guess.

I do a bit of travel and have been using a combination of one of their 40lt packs for multi day trips and 70lt pack for extended trips. So far no complaints, have stood up to the everything that has been thrown at them, are not disfigured in anyway and are comfortable to wear for extended periods....

http://www.macpac.com.au/shop/en_au/gear-and-clothing/packs/packs-travel