Rude Riders

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
I got the encouraging words from a fellow mountain bike rider on the weekend "You need to learn how to ride single track mate"

Yes, it was in a race, I am the first to admit I am not the best rider of steep, downhill, technical single track and after crashing, I did my best to get out of his way. I have been riding & racing mountain bikes for about 3 years now and this is the first time I have ever had discouraging words from a fellow rider. I was pretty disappointed actually.

If only we were all awesome single track riders like this kind fellow. At the next climb I managed to catch up this guy and let him know what a champion rider he is. By the end of the race I managed to beat him by a long margin, which was a nice feeling.

Anyone else had encounters like this?

ToranaJudd

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What a dick...

As long as you're giving it a go and enjoying yourself he can go to hell as far as I'm concerned...

Nice job on the win...!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
What an arsehole. After beating him, you should've given him some directions to the nearest triathlon club.

your_neighbour

Likes Dirt
In my 13+ years of racing 24hrs, XC and 100k'ers I have never heard a negative comment after I have stacked.

every time I have stacked, someone has checked / asked if I'm ok, and vice versa.

There's one born every minute though, What a tool of the highest order!!

Sounds like you smashed him good though, nice work!

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got the encouraging words from a fellow mountain bike rider on the weekend "You need to learn how to ride single track mate"

Yes, it was in a race, I am the first to admit I am not the best rider of steep, downhill, technical single track and after crashing, I did my best to get out of his way. I have been riding & racing mountain bikes for about 3 years now and this is the first time I have ever had discouraging words from a fellow rider. I was pretty disappointed actually.

If only we were all awesome single track riders like this kind fellow. At the next climb I managed to catch up this guy and let him know what a champion rider he is. By the end of the race I managed to beat him by a long margin, which was a nice feeling.

Anyone else had encounters like this?
Gheez what a dick...if it's an XC race I don't see a problem holding anyone up through singletrack! If you beat him by such a margin I would've made sure he knew about it at the end of a race!

I think DH race is a different story...if you are so slow you're holding someone up you should get out of the way because you'll destroy their run!

Riding socially I've found people 99% of the time do their best to get out of the way of others...usually it's ackowledged with a quick thank you or cheers! :)

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Gheez what a dick...if it's an XC race I don't see a problem holding anyone up through singletrack! If you beat him by such a margin I would've made sure he knew about it at the end of a race!

I think DH race is a different story...if you are so slow you're holding someone up you should get out of the way because you'll destroy their run!

Riding socially I've found people 99% of the time do their best to get out of the way of others...usually it's ackowledged with a quick thank you or cheers! :)
Yes, was a XC race, was only a shortish descent and if he had of called 'track' or asked to pass me I have no trouble in letting other riders through. Next time I will pick up my bike and throw it as Willsy01 suggests!

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dirt off your shoulder dude.

(Not sure if that saying works in this scenario? I was going for the whole, brush it off because it doesn't mean shit idea).

You smoked him in the climb, and eventually in the race - so he got what was coming for him...

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Dirt off your shoulder dude.

(Not sure if that saying works in this scenario? I was going for the whole, brush it off because it doesn't mean shit idea).

You smoked him in the climb, and eventually in the race - so he got what was coming for him...
Yeah, for sure, happy to move on. Lets just be kind to one another out there. We all have out strengths and weakness' so we all need to acknowledge that.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it's pretty clear here, it's your call on the ST, any experienced rider will pick their line, give you notice and go around safely, on your call ideally. I think you can easily overtake safely and still minimize time loss. the worst part is over taking someone and getting past by them later on, .... epic fail. must have felt sweet hearing him puff away into the distance.

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks mate, just as encouraging.....If someone crashes in front of me, I stop and check they're o.k and give them a hand if needed.
I’m not being encouraging or discouraging. I’m pretty hopeless on the downs too but to me the comment (as you've written it) from the other rider is just part of the banter at races. Ok you were on the ground at the time but other than your pride you can’t have been that hurt as you caught them at the next climb and beat them easily. Next time you race against the same person and they are behind your whining about not getting past on the downs you can always politely say “I’ll let you past on the next climb” too. So to me I don't see it as a big issue ;)

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
can i also ad the number of arsehole bmx riders and dj'ers is ridiculous, most riders are good people up for a chat and cool to ride with anyone but lately i've been seeing a great increase in the number of riders who are arsehole for no apparent reason, fairs fair if you're being a dick at the local trails and fucking up the track or whatever its understandable