running 1x9 setup for AM

suktrona

Likes Bikes
Hi guys, if this has been covered before then I apologise, but I'd love to hear of peoples experiences of running 1x9 setup for AM. Im about to finish my AM build on a commencal super 4 and although I would love to skip off to my lbs to drop some coin on a new crankset/rings my loving wife has forbidden it.

I do however have my old funn dh crankset with a 32t ring on it. Now i know obvious solution is obvious - put it on and see how she goes, but im planning on a big ride this weekend with much climbing and am crap with ratios so was hoping some old salt could give me his or her two cents on the matter before I try the 'hope for the best' solution.

cheers in advance.

nastylilweed

Likes Dirt
What cassette are you running on the back? That will be the main indicator as to what you can run as a front ring.

Your strength and general fitness play a huge part in the selection as well. I have mates that would crush a 42 up front with an 11-36 and others that couldn't push a 32 for the life of them.

You will love a single ring up front! Changes your life forever. Note that the length of the DH Cranks may be super short as well compared to the XC cranks giving you substantially less leverage.

suktrona

Likes Bikes
Thanks mate, yes you make a great point re: fitness. Its a bit of a gamble as im forever doing hike a bike on dh runs but do so with minimal of fuss, this will be my first hill climbable setup for quite some time so unless theres a walk to ride conversion chart id only be guessing as to how ill do...

Im running a Dura-ace 11-23 9 speed on the rear and I do have a small selection of front rings lying around other than the 32t currently fitted, just not sure what to go with. I like the single ring idea as it feels closer to what im used to in terms of DH riding, just wasn't convinced that it would get me climbing.

nastylilweed

Likes Dirt
An 11-23 isn't exactly a very effective climbing cassette range. I would consider purchasing a broader cassette and running a 28 - 32 tooth front ring as a start and work from there.

tidlibit

Likes Dirt
im running a 36 front and a 11-36 rear.

low enough to climb with (have to get off on the stupidly steep stuff but that's more my fitness and the lack of a 22t granny... with a bit of speed up the top.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
See if you can go 10 spd on the back. It just gives you that one easy cog which makes a difference when running a 32t at the front. Its the 11-36 cluster you want

MJS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
34t and 11-34 cassette here, I made the switch a couple years ago as I found myself never using the granny gear. I only miss the big ring on my quick road ride to the trail, but don't absolutely need it. Love the simplicity of one shifter and one derailleur.

Cranker

Likes Dirt
Sram xx1

You could get this groupset. It has a 10-42 cassette, climbing will be a breeze!
But your minister of finance might not clear the funding for it! Lol

image.jpg

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
An 11-23 out back.. Mate, you are GONNA die!! :):)

At the very least, you want to take next week's beer money and drop it on a 11-34 cassette. You might find that you run out of gears when descending, but you can always go bigger in the front. But, when you are climbing, you are gonna thank the lord.... Hehe

I'm running 1x9, 35 front, 11-34 rear and I can pedal pretty much everything.

takai

Eats Squid
Haha, minimal of fuss on push runs :p

As said last night, 34T chainring, 11-32 cluster. If i can climb my Reign with a bung knee, and the DeeMaxes then you'll be fine.

Crankit

Likes Bikes
I'm running a 34t up front with a 11-32 of the back. I love it and very rarely ride it out.
I am thinking about dropping the front chainring back to a 32t just to try and make those steep little climbs a tad easier.

I live in Adelaide though so I imagine the hills and tracks may not be as long or as strenuous as some of the tracks in Eastern AUS.

Either way I like the simplicity of it the most. I could definitely see the positive side of going to an XX1 set up, that granny ring is massive!

leeroy_83

Likes Bikes
Looking to do some all mountain races this year and was thinking about changing my setup. Currently is a 38, 11-26 and have been doing laps of Manly Dam to try get some fitness. Think changing to an 11-32 will be the go, I struggle up the big hill at the Dam, (on a SX trail) hopefully the 11-32 will let me keep sight of some of the XC boys!!

moorey

call me Mia
38 with a 11-32 is too high. Go a 34 with 11-34 or even 11-36. Buy a cheaper 12/36 and swap the 11 from your current cassette onto it, but be sure to use the lock ring from the 11t cassette.
Im running 1x9 on all 4 bikes, and there's nothing I can't climb that I would with a granny.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Looking to do some all mountain races this year and was thinking about changing my setup. Currently is a 38, 11-26 and have been doing laps of Manly Dam to try get some fitness. Think changing to an 11-32 will be the go, I struggle up the big hill at the Dam, (on a SX trail) hopefully the 11-32 will let me keep sight of some of the XC boys!!
If climbing is your concern, why would you sell yourself short with a 11-32? I run 35 front, 11-34 and it feels pretty much perfect for me.. I climb everything at the Dam on a V10.

bloodpuddle

Likes Bikes
I agree that the limiting factor here is going to be the 11-23 cassette.

I'm running 1 x 10, with a 32T and 11-36.

My fitness isn't bad (could always be better, of course), but on really steep, long climbs I'm definitely using the two lowest cogs on the cassette alot. But in those cogs I can climb anything I used to climb with granny.

I'd like a little more top end (find I'm spinning out a little too easily on flattish fire trails, but that's hardly AM riding!) so maybe I'll go for a 34T chainring next.