Running shorter cranks ?

slowmick

38-39"
All big feet guarantees is that your socks will be expensive and shops won't have a pair of shoes for you too try before you buy. Or worse they won't make them that big :mad:

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If I get a pedal strike most of the time it means I'm not paying attention and have cocked up timing the obstacle. Some obstacles require pedalling to get through and strikes are almost inevitable but it's not worth changing the cranks length, just smash that pedal down so you can upgrade it sooner!
Said the man with alu cranks or deep pockets.

Fwiw I went to xtr 175 as the question mark of strikes on carbon was not worth the worry.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Don't know about other people but the downward facing side of my trailing crank is thrashed. Lots of rockstrikes too. I have been thinking moving from 175 to 170mm due to the strikes. My roadie is 172.5mm

stirk

Burner
Said the man with alu cranks or deep pockets.

Fwiw I went to xtr 175 as the question mark of strikes on carbon was not worth the worry.
Yep, no carbon on my ride.

I'm 6"2' and run 170mm... I like them lots and can notice a difference when I'm on my mates 17mm cranks. Quite a few more strikes...
17mm? is that like a micro bike with a bb height of 30mm hence lots of strikes?

moorey

call me Mia
I'm 6"2' and run 170mm... I like them lots and can notice a difference when I'm on my mates 17mm cranks. Quite a few more strikes...
Assuming it’s an identical bike, with identical sag, identical BB height, identical pedals and you weigh the same....

Also, 17mm is a really short crank....;)

Last edited:

LQQK

Likes Bikes
I remember in the early 90's riding a friends IRD bike. Their design philosophy at the time was was for longer cranks, it came with 220 mm Bullseye cranks! It always felt like walking up stairs 2 at a time.