POS Rusty Piece of S**t (Road bike refurbish)

haydn

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, about two years ago I found this bike on a local hard rubbish pile. It was in terrible condition. It had no tubes no gear cables, everything was covered in rust and was had a disgusting mustard spray job. However it did have some phycodelic yellow grips (RIP). I always planned to do it up a little and make it rideable but never really got around to it. A few weeks ago I decided it was finally time to act. Here is how it turned out....

To cut a long process sort. Stripped components. Rawed the frame with paint stripper and wire brush. Taped off the lugged areas. Clear coated lugged areas to protect from rusting. Removed tape and hung frame from coat hanger. Sprayed with salt water daily to promote rust. Once desired level of rust achieved (about 9 days) clear coated frame and reassembled.

Some rust crept under the clear coat which was a little disappointing but now it kind of adds to the rustic (no pun intended) charm of the bike. Oh and total cost $20 (tubes and grip tape)

Still a few things left to do:
-Brakes
-Finish grinding ends of crank spider thingo (was longer for extra chain ring and bashy)
-Steel wool spokes Etc...

Hope you like it.

Haydn

Last edited:

haydn

Likes Dirt
Aren't you worried about the rust spreading deeper under the clear and damaging the frames integrity?
Not really. It was more of a fun thing to do/ waste some time before uni thing. Rather than Im going to do some serious k's on this bad boy. most likely it will end up back on hard rubbish in a few years with memories of a few casual rides followed by neglect.

Plus I don't think it will spread very much. The rust is just on the surface and would simply scrape away with fingernails if it wasn't for the clear coat. If my facts are right (likely not) rust needs both oxygen and water to form, the clear coat will hopefully prevent this.

Last edited:

RHPB

Cannon Fodder
Nov 2016

Hi, how did the frame hold up?
Did the lacquer adhere to the rust ok?
I am thinking of doing the same to my frame.
all advice greatly appreciated.
Cheers,