S.C.U.M & NSWMTB AM Racing.

MJS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pretty sure the tiny flyer on page 3 says shuttles are included. Second line below the picture looks like it says "Entry $20 including shuttle". Could be wrong though.

Cronar

Likes Dirt
Pretty sure the tiny flyer on page 3 says shuttles are included. Second line below the picture looks like it says "Entry $20 including shuttle". Could be wrong though.
Yes, after some CSI style investigation of the flyer, it seems you're right.

It'll be a pretty quick shuttle!

OKA

Squid
More All Mountain Info

Saturday 5th May
1300- unofficial practice (course still being set up)
Sunday 6th May
0800- Rego and practice open
1145- practice closed

1200- Start of first runs
????- Start of second runs will commence at completion of the first runs
????- Event finish/ presentation

Only registered riders are permitted on the track during practice and timed runs and must have their race numbers fitted.

Place getters of each class will be determined by the fastest of two timed runs.

Riders who have their run interrupted by an injured rider will be granted a rerun at the discretion of the event director.

For the riders safety, spectators are not permitted on the track during practice or timed runs. There will be plenty of marked spectator access points.

Riders and riders bikes are conveyed in the shuttle vehicle at the riders own risk.

Yes for shuttles. The shuttle road is not steep nor very long but it is dirt, rutted and turns to sticky clay when wet.
Those that do walk/ ride back up will be rewarded with many spectator points on the way.
The course will be open for unofficial practice (no shuttles) from 1300 Saturday for those coming down for the weekend. We will still be setting up so people may be walking on the track.
Coffee/food van will be there on Sunday. A menu will be posted here soon.

Russ

Last edited:

T-Rex

Template denier
Saturday 5th May
1300- unofficial practice (course still being set up)
Sunday 6th May
0930- Rego and practice closed
0945- Riders briefing (at track start area)
1000- Start of first runs
????- Start of second runs will commence at completion of the first runs
????- Event finish/ presentation
Sent you a PM on your proposed timetable.

SaabG

Likes Dirt
I appreciate the efforts from anyone who hosts an all mountain race but to me this looks like just another xc race. Just calling it an all mountain race doesn't make it an all mountain race. Yes you may get plenty of riders turn up (xc riders) but you haven't actually created a new format. A race that is run on a track that is better suited to 29ers than ~6" duallys is not an all mountain race IMHO. This appears to be a xc race and should be advertised as such.

retro racer

Likes Dirt
Thanks for your comments saabg, but if you read the previous posts you will see that we are trying to work with the hosting clubs and what tracks are ready available for 2011 and learn for 2012.
cheers

T-Rex

Template denier
I appreciate the efforts from anyone who hosts an all mountain race but to me this looks like just another xc race. Just calling it an all mountain race doesn't make it an all mountain race. Yes you may get plenty of riders turn up (xc riders) but you haven't actually created a new format. A race that is run on a track that is better suited to 29ers than ~6" duallys is not an all mountain race IMHO. This appears to be a xc race and should be advertised as such.
It's a point to point time trial ( ie not a massed start), on a sub 10 minute course. Would you care to elaborate on how that format even remotely resembles an XC race format, in your humble opinion? And while you are at it, can you also explain how Josh Carlson with his Anthem thrashed all the 6" bikes at Ourimbah, with half the course being on the two DH tracks?

driftmonkey

Likes Bikes
not to add more fuel to the fire, but
the timing of the event needs to be changed to resemble that more of a dh race than a xc race.
you cant expect people to travel that distance for effectivly 3 runs down the track.
all that has been alowed for in the sunday program is enough time for 1 practice run, wich isnt really feasable for people to go fast on the track.
a lot of people will travell down from syd and areas on sunday morning only and wont make the trip twice.
ontop of that if people are going to overnight it where are they going to stay?

i just dont see the resoning behind a two day program when ccomtb have proved twice allready that there is a perfectly acceptable one day program.

SaabG

Likes Dirt
It's a point to point time trial ( ie not a massed start), on a sub 10 minute course. Would you care to elaborate on how that format even remotely resembles an XC race format, in your humble opinion? And while you are at it, can you also explain how Josh Carlson with his Anthem thrashed all the 6" bikes at Ourimbah, with half the course being on the two DH tracks?
Are you serious? It's not about the format, it's about the course which is being used. That's a xc course, not an all mountain course. If you call that course all mountain, then where do you rid xc? On a Velodrome?

As for josh winning the all mountain race at ourimbah well the guys a freak. If Troy brosnen was there he would probably win it on his demo but that doesn't make it a dh race. In saying that I'd say brosnan would be quickest on an enduro on the ourimbah course which makes it a proper all mountain race.

Anyway, to the race organizers. I hope you take this as constructive criticism. I applaud your efforts and when you find/make a suitable course I'll make the 3 hour drive down and join in the festivities.

sruge

Likes Dirt
I have to agree with the comment about the proposed timetable for Sunday. I am thinking of coming down from Newcastle for this - I've got a mate in Nowra & it would be good to catch up. But the timetable really only allows for one, or at most two practice runs on Sunday morning. Leaving here early enough to get in some Saturday practice turns it into a full weekend away - I'll happily do that for an endurance race, but for what may be less than an hour of riding, the effort/reward ratio starts to look a bit out.

txp

Squid
Mate you are preaching to the choir. It has already been acknowledged that the track is not a hardcore all mountain track. The reason why it is called an all mountain race is because it is part of the all mountain series. Surely you are not suggesting that we rename the series as we go from event to event.

At the end of the day just because the track is not hardcore doesnt mean you cant have fun on it, and that is what it is all about. Even though it is a state series there are no sheep stations up for grabs. Frankly I applaud the organisers for even having a series. The format is still young, and as far as I know there are only two clubs that have this type of event (CORC and CCOMTB).

+1 regarding the 10am start time. Most people will still be hung over from the night before :)

SaabG

Likes Dirt
Ok. As a one off all mountain race this event isn't really all mountain BUT in the context of an all mountain SERIES it can be.

In a perfect world I think people who are competing in the series (not just a one off race) should only be allowed to ride one bike throughout the series. Then with regards to track selection it doesn't matter if one course is a xc course as long as the next event is a dh course it averages out to be an am series if you get what I mean. It will be very difficult to make every event a proper all mountain event BUT it shouldn't be hard to make a proper all mountain SERIES.

Now if I was competing for the series I would turn up to every event not just the ones that suit my style. So.......... Maybe I should stop typing and start turning up to every event haha.

MJS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What is the definition of all mountain anyway? I was always of the understanding that it's a bit of everything, climbs and descents, and not necessarily technical. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the tech stuff but the Nowra course looks like immense fun if ridden at speed. I was at Ourimbah and that was great but variety is good.

That said, I have to agree with the timetable, doesn't leave much time at all for practise on the Sunday. I'll still be there though, looking forward to it! Well done to SCUM for hosting this, I'm sure the series can only go from strength to strength!

OKA

Squid
State All Mountain Series 2 Schedule Update

Please note ajustment to event timings

1145-practice finished
1200- Start of first runs
?-Start of second runs will commence at completion of the first runs
?-Event finish/ presentation

These adjustments will allow more time for practice/ride time.

Those looking for accommodation please support our supporters by looking here. www.holidayhaven.com.au

Russ

Gravityfreak

Likes Dirt
Ok. As a one off all mountain race this event isn't really all mountain BUT in the context of an all mountain SERIES it can be.

In a perfect world I think people who are competing in the series (not just a one off race) should only be allowed to ride one bike throughout the series. Then with regards to track selection it doesn't matter if one course is a xc course as long as the next event is a dh course it averages out to be an am series if you get what I mean. It will be very difficult to make every event a proper all mountain event BUT it shouldn't be hard to make a proper all mountain SERIES.

Now if I was competing for the series I would turn up to every event not just the ones that suit my style. So.......... Maybe I should stop typing and start turning up to every event haha.
Maybe the confusion exists between "all mtn" which is a marketing term to sell 5-6 inch bikes and Gravity Enduro which is a recognised and defined race format?

Gravjunkie

Likes Dirt
Speaking in Tongues

I'm one of the last remaining downhillers in SCUM (although I haven't donned the fullface and pointed down in a while), I with a few mates built Funnelweb and I still get a fat everytime I finish my first run after not riding it in a while.
When we were scoping the area (some years back) which is now Superbowl we had plans of putting in a short pushup DH practice track but we decided to increase our XC quiver with what would become our most technical XC trail.
Because Superbowl has a bitch of a climb on the other side of the road, I've never really pushed my limits down into the bowl (so as to conserve energy)....until last Saturday. After some therapeutic track work, I threw the leg over the new 'Zesty' (6 inch sex on wheels) and YEEAAAHHH!!...fun fun fun!!:fat: I didn't ride the whole course as it was still a bit damp at the bottom but check out the gopro chestcam footage....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRvMPomZFRs

For those worried about not getting in enough praccy runs, you should get in about 4 an hour and thats riding back up.....and unless you're bringing down an 8" DH rig you wont bother with the shuttles the ride up is easy (5 - 10 mins).

Gravityfreak

Likes Dirt
I'm one of the last remaining downhillers in SCUM (although I haven't donned the fullface and pointed down in a while), I with a few mates built Funnelweb and I still get a fat everytime I finish my first run after not riding it in a while.
When we were scoping the area (some years back) which is now Superbowl we had plans of putting in a short pushup DH practice track but we decided to increase our XC quiver with what would become our most technical XC trail.
Because Superbowl has a bitch of a climb on the other side of the road, I've never really pushed my limits down into the bowl (so as to conserve energy)....until last Saturday. After some therapeutic track work, I threw the leg over the new 'Zesty' (6 inch sex on wheels) and YEEAAAHHH!!...fun fun fun!!:fat: I didn't ride the whole course as it was still a bit damp at the bottom but check out the gopro chestcam footage....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRvMPomZFRs

For those worried about not getting in enough praccy runs, you should get in about 4 an hour and thats riding back up.....and unless you're bringing down an 8" DH rig you wont bother with the shuttles the ride up is easy (5 - 10 mins).
That certainly looks a SH*T load more fun than the first video showed. Now I'm actually looking fwd to it. Thanks for posting the vid.

retro racer

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the kool vid gravjunkie. I am tired from watching it:fat: Hope everyone enjoys it and lets move forward.

struggles

Likes Dirt
I went out this morning with Russ and we made some of the more stop starty corners flow a bit easier.

The track is looking really good too.

As Pat said the shuttle back to the top is easy and its probably going to be quicker to ride it.

Here is the strava segment from today http://app.strava.com/rides/7431890#139128781

We did clear a nice turn around section today though