S-Works Epic ... good?

digitalformula

Likes Bikes
I know the "hang up" thing you're talking about and yep, I can see how a 29er would overcome that to some extent. Still, I've never really had a problem with that particular issue ... must be something to do with my riding style (or lack of :-D).

I wouldn't suggest that it would have anything to do with you're riding style, in fact.
The bike I had before the Epic was a Yeti 575. At Lysty, there are plenty of places that have roots across the tracks. Sometimes, these are small, but the bigger ones are up to about 10cm or so. When I'd hit these at speed, I'd lift the front wheel to clear them, but allow the back wheel to suck it up. I would always feel a distict deceleration as the tire would "hang up" , the suspension would then do it's thing, and I'd be on my way.
On the epic, this didn't happen. At all.
That's pretty awesome. Also interesting that there was no deceleration on the 29er. The math definitely explains that and good to hear that math appears to be correct ... heh.

I was amazed. I found myself in the latter part of my test ride actively seeking out all of the rooty lines just to see if i could feel it slow down or be impeded somehow, and it didn't. That's definitely one of the reasons i wanted one.
With evidence like that, it's impossible to argue, really. :)

The main shop I'm looking to buy a frame from is taking a really long time to give me a price and it's starting to frustrate me a bit. I would've thought that a sale of $5000+ might mean more interest, even though I'm not buying a complete bike. I don't know why it's taking so long but if things carry on at the speed they're at now, 650B will be the standard by the time I've got a quote for the 26er. :(

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
The main shop I'm looking to buy a frame from is taking a really long time to give me a price and it's starting to frustrate me a bit. I would've thought that a sale of $5000+ might mean more interest, even though I'm not buying a complete bike. I don't know why it's taking so long but if things carry on at the speed they're at now, 650B will be the standard by the time I've got a quote for the 26er. :(
I imagine a $5k sale would have most shops interested! I know Total Rush has a couple of 26" S-Works Epic frames hanging up for sale - just not sure of the size frame you are after.

digitalformula

Likes Bikes
I imagine a $5k sale would have most shops interested! I know Total Rush has a couple of 26" S-Works Epic frames hanging up for sale - just not sure of the size frame you are after.
Freaky - I was on the phone with Total Rush as your reply popped up. How the hell did you know that? ;-)

But yeah, they do have a 2011 S-Works Epic frame in stock ... unfortunately it's a large whereas I need medium. They have 2012 frames, too - frame only and 29er (obviously) so I'd be up for quite a decent chunk of cash to get one built (fork, stem, headset, seat post, saddle, wheel set). A quick look pushes that build cost towards the price of a brand new complete bike, at which point I'd go with the 2013 bike, if I was going to spend that much.

They even have a large and a medium 2013 S-Works Epic in stock. How the hell they got those, I have no idea - they'd be one of the only stores in Aus to have them as everyone else is waiting until Dec/Jan.

Now, where did I put that large bag of unmarked bills ...

Last edited:

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Freaky - I was on the phone with Total Rush as your reply popped up. How the hell did you know that? ;-)
I am like Big Brother....I have a direct link into Total Rush - I know everything that goes in that store.....Actually it was coincidence more then anything :)

But yeah, they do have a 2011 S-Works Epic frame in stock ... unfortunately it's a large whereas I need medium.
Bummer dude - no chance you put yourself on a rack and get taller? :p

They have 2012 frames, too - frame only and 29er (obviously) so I'd be up for quite a decent chunk of cash to get one built (fork, stem, headset, seat post, saddle, wheel set). A quick look pushes that build cost towards the price of a brand new complete bike, at which point I'd go with the 2013 bike, if I was going to spend that much.
Yup whilst I love my 29er, I think the budget issue eliminates a 29er as an option for you - bummer!

They even have a large and a medium 2013 S-Works Epic in stock. How the hell they got those, I have no idea - they'd be one of the only stores in Aus to have them as everyone else is waiting until Dec/Jan.
They have been in the shop for a few weeks now - I have just taken it for granted all Specialized dealers would have them. The ones at TR are all XTR builds. No SRAM builds turned up - pity really because I would love to check out the XX1 setup.

Now, where did I put that large bag of unmarked bills ...
Did you check under the mattress, behind the fridge or under the couch? They are the first places I would look! :)

digitalformula

Likes Bikes
Bummer dude - no chance you put yourself on a rack and get taller? :p
Ok, now I won't believe anything you say in future about not being psychic. That's exactly the same thing the guy at Total Rush said ... "All you gotta do is get taller!" :)

Yup whilst I love my 29er, I think the budget issue eliminates a 29er as an option for you - bummer!
Can't have everything, I guess. Still, a 26" S-Works Epic should be sufficient for my needs. :p

The ones at TR are all XTR builds. No SRAM builds turned up - pity really because I would love to check out the XX1 setup.
Me, too! XX1 looks like one hell of a setup, although I'm hearing that it's more aimed at Enduro riders ... not my thing.

Did you check under the mattress, behind the fridge or under the couch? They are the first places I would look! :)
All of the above - I only found $3.50. Coffee when I'm at Trailmix tomorrow! Score! :)

czecharch

Likes Dirt
...and while you're there you can buy the 2011 26" size M Epic they have on the floor, just as you walk in the door...

digitalformula

Likes Bikes
...and while you're there you can buy the 2011 26" size M Epic they have on the floor, just as you walk in the door...
Trust me dude, I'm all over it - talked to Michael about that bike for ages while out there in the weekend. Kristjan is (hopefully) putting together a deal for me as we speak. :)

digitalformula

Likes Bikes
The result ...

Thanks to everyone that put up with my ramblings and questions on this thread. It was worth it, I think - here's the result of it all.

sworksepic-result-rb.jpg

IBO

Squid
very nice, looks like a beast

did you end up getting it at trailmix?

if so where you in there talking to them yesterday when i came in with my smashed up knee?

digitalformula

Likes Bikes
very nice, looks like a beast
Hope it will be. I aimed for a combination of lightness and solid bits (hence the X0 rear derailleur and X0 cassette).

did you end up getting it at trailmix?
Yep. They're a great bunch out there.

if so where you in there talking to them yesterday when i came in with my smashed up knee?
I was there for far too long yesterday, yep. Smashed up knee ... were you the guy wanting the S-Works shoes? :)

digitalformula

Likes Bikes
That is a thing of beauty.
Amen, Reverend! :)

Hope you have a great time tearing around Lysterfield on it.
I can't wait - will be heading out there this weekend. Going out for a ride tomorrow but will only be on the local Yarra trails. Need to do at least one ride on it to dial it in before I throw myself at the CGT. The jury's still out on the brain fork so will have to see what comes of that.

Must be lighter than a fly's handbag.:eek:)
LOL. Overall, it's not bad (9.8kg excluding pedals). A factory build is lighter due to the extra XX parts and lighter tyres (e.g. like the newer model cleeshoy has, I think).

My other bike (the one I'm selling) was built up at 8.9kg excluding pedals but, realistically, an extra 0.9kg isn't going to make a fly's handbag of difference to a 90kg rider like me. ;-)

Great buy.
Cheers! :-D

IBO

Squid
yeah, i am looking for some new shoes...

not sure what to get and wanted to see what the s-works mtb ones felt like on...

Last edited:

digitalformula

Likes Bikes
yeah, i am looking for some new shoes...

not sure what to get and wanted to see what the s-works mtb ones felt like on...
I have them and can honestly say that they've changed my MTB riding entirely. That might sound lame as hell but check this out ...

I went through the BG Fit process with Justin to get the right footbed and wedge for my feet - it's transformed my riding and I have literally zero cycling-related knee pain now. It might be a side-effect of having shoes that fit properly but I feel like power transfer has increased noticeably, too.

To make a long story short ... get them. :)

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Amen, Reverend! :)
I can't wait - will be heading out there this weekend. Going out for a ride tomorrow but will only be on the local Yarra trails. Need to do at least one ride on it to dial it in before I throw myself at the CGT. The jury's still out on the brain fork so will have to see what comes of that.

LOL. Overall, it's not bad (9.8kg excluding pedals). A factory build is lighter due to the extra XX parts and lighter tyres (e.g. like the newer model cleeshoy has, I think).

My other bike (the one I'm selling) was built up at 8.9kg excluding pedals but, realistically, an extra 0.9kg isn't going to make a fly's handbag of difference to a 90kg rider like me. ;-)

Cheers! :-D
New bike looks awesome! :)
Out the door, mine (29er) was 10.08kg with pedals and bottle cage. It has actually gained "some" weight since then as I now have 2.25" tyres (stock was 2.0")....
CGT will be a nice little tester for the bike - I think you'll enjoy climbing the CGT hill (as well as the descent!)

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
I have them and can honestly say that they've changed my MTB riding entirely. That might sound lame as hell but check this out ...

I went through the BG Fit process with Justin to get the right footbed and wedge for my feet - it's transformed my riding and I have literally zero cycling-related knee pain now. It might be a side-effect of having shoes that fit properly but I feel like power transfer has increased noticeably, too.

To make a long story short ... get them. :)
+1 on the S-Works shoes. I got a pair and had the BG fit process. I used to experience foot pain - no longer. Yes they are not cheap, but you get what you pay for in the end. Riding pain free is PRICELESS.

digitalformula

Likes Bikes
New bike looks awesome! :)
:-D

Out the door, mine (29er) was 10.08kg with pedals and bottle cage. It has actually gained "some" weight since then as I now have 2.25" tyres (stock was 2.0")....
CGT will be a nice little tester for the bike - I think you'll enjoy climbing the CGT hill (as well as the descent!)
10.08 for a 29er is pretty damn good (although I guess the carbon wheels make quite some difference). You win by 20g! Lol.

Looking forward to checking out the CGT this weekend, depending on how the weather goes.

Like I mentioned in a previous post, though, the jury's still out on the brain fork ... that brass thing that moves inside the fork makes the tiniest click when it disengages. I hope the performance overcomes the noise (I'm super-picky about bike noise).

digitalformula

Likes Bikes
+1 on the S-Works shoes. I got a pair and had the BG fit process. I used to experience foot pain - no longer. Yes they are not cheap, but you get what you pay for in the end. Riding pain free is PRICELESS.
Also, I used to ride with Sidi Dragons. Fantastic shoe - light, super tough sole and great fastening system but they hurt my feet (which are wide-ish, despite only being a 43).

So yep, +1 on the "you get what you pay for thing" - the 3 pairs of Dragons I had were a costly way to find out that they didn't work for me (they were great initially, hence the 3 pairs).

czecharch

Likes Dirt
Awesome!
Glad you found what you were looking for!
I'll be hitting up Kristjan for my commission this weekend. :)
As for the noise of the inertia valve; I urge you just to try to stop thinking about it. It's what makes the bike work so well over obstacles. If you try to mechanically tune the fork so it doesn't make the sound, you're losing the main benefit.