Saddle rail - help

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Just wanted to know if anyone has ever been successful in putting a seat rail back in the shell after having one come out?
I came off on Sunday and somehow the rail on my Selle Italia SLR saddle came out at the back. I've tried to no avail to somehow get it back in. They obviously get them in post rail bending in the factory so I figure there must be a way of doing it but I haven't been lucky yet.
Not real keen on having to replace a fairly new $200 saddle

nzblakis

Likes Bikes and Dirt
nope,

had to chuck my fairly new yeti ti fly saddle in the rubbish due to this...
Its like a sick and twisted saddle disease.

Start looking for a new one id say man.

Last edited:
I once got one back in, but the saddle wasn't quite straight afterwards. It involved flexing the top shell enough to push the rail back in. We put the saddle in a vice and lent on it really hard. If you are going to chuck the saddle anyway then its worth a try.

CraigS

Likes Dirt
I once got one back in, but the saddle wasn't quite straight afterwards. It involved flexing the top shell enough to push the rail back in. We put the saddle in a vice and lent on it really hard. If you are going to chuck the saddle anyway then its worth a try.
Not sure how it will go as it's a Carbon fiber shell, I've tried it by hand and I still need about 10mm before the rail will fit:confused:
Looks like I'll be swapping seats on and off the big bike for a while then.

The one I got back in wasn't a carbon shell. They get them in some how when they make them, maybe they flex the rails and the shell. I wonder what they do when you have carbon rails and shell.

liam92

Squid
There is no way Id be trying to fix a saddle rail on a normal saddle let alone a carbon based saddle, tearing a hole outta ya a$$ with a seat rail wouldnt be pleasurable Im thinking

Trumpy

Squid
Warranty only covers manufacturing defects not falling over, insurance however will cover it.
You never know your luck. I contacted Fizik after my Gobi snapped the shell clean across the middle. Not being a huge fella, I wrote them an email with a photo just asking if it was expected wear and tear. I recieved a reply straight away asking for my address, no questions asked. A new saddle turned up a week later direct from Italy. Very impressive customer service anyway, and leaves a positive impression.

Worth contacting them anyway I think.