Saint Calipers with metal pads - opinions?

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is now an XT 4-pot caliper, BR-M8020. Supposedly 20% more braking power compared with M8000. But as it seems to be a lot more expensive than Zee, it doesn't seem to make much sense.
identical calipers; only difference are the pads and graphics

Last edited:

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
The levers on the xt are nicer if you're into that type of thing and like the extra dials, but performance wise, imho not worth the extra for the lever.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I was under the impression that metal pads were grabby and noisier than resin but I can't say I've noticed anything more than some additional stopping power.
Half right. Metal can be a bit noisier than resin at times, but the brake application is actually a lot more progressive. The softer resin compound gives them the extra bite, especially when cold, but they fry & glaze when they get hot. Metal can frankly feel shit when they're cold, but they just keep on grabbing when they warm up and give much better control of the brake power.

andrew9

Likes Dirt
is it uncommon to have a 160/203 combo? Should the rear be upped to 180?
Depends on what you need, in terms of feel it's actually pretty good, both will feel pretty similar at your fingers. But if you drag brake alot then the rear will suffer earlier. It also looks a little funny

andrew9

Likes Dirt
160mm rotors are only good for playing Xena: Warrior Princess with; however, they do excel at this task.
I only like 160 and 203 rotors, I think 180 is the best suited for making clocks and ninja stars.
If you're worried about weight then 160 wins, because if you're going to use an adaptor you might as well go 203 as there is bugger all difference between different sized adapters, compared to not needing an adaptor at all for 160 /endrant

*unless your fork/frame is set up for 180 without adapters, like some #enduro bikes*

Z

Zaf

Saving weight on rotors?
Wouldn't you just do a Choppy and only run 3xTitanium bolts? You really only need two though.

John U

MTB Precision
is it uncommon to have a 160/203 combo? Should the rear be upped to 180?
Play around with your options. You already have a 180 rotor. You could move that to the back if you go 200 up front.
Check your adapters also. The old Formula ones could be used front and back. I think the same adapter worked for a 20mm less diameter rotor at the back. Eg Adapters were labelled 200mm front, 180mm rear, I think. May have been the other way around. I only mention this because you may be able to get away with buying less shit to try the new rotor sizes.
Whatever you do, go with however the manufacturers have labeled the adapters.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
160 is all you need. Smaller rotors have slight advantages in:
- Not being as easy for.rocks roots shit to hit when riding or shuttling etc and thus not getting dinged as easily.

- They seem to warp less often or slower than the bigger rotors.

Like I said though, slight advantage.

Bigger rotors are a lot better for heat dispersion. So if you are doing epic long descending rides or laps and laps and laps of shuttles or you love to feather along for no reason...bigger rotors will take longer to give you heat affected braking.

Saving weight on rotors?
Wouldn't you just do a Choppy and only run 3xTitanium bolts? You really only need two though.
I spray painted my rotors anodised purple.