Saint Derailleur Reconstruction Problems

NASHWORTH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey,

Just having a few problems with putting my saint cage (SS) all back together correctly. The inside cage plate (derailleur side) doesn't seem to retract like a normal derailleur, instead it extends out. I don't know if this has something to do with how I have the spring/cage placed or whether I need to force something around?

According to the exploded diagram thingy (Available on the Shimano website) all the parts are placed correctly, but it's still very possible that I've mucked it up.

Just some pics to try and demonstrate what I'm on about.

And the bit that the cage screws on to.

Any help would be great at the moment. I can't really be bothered going into my LBS today haha.

Cheers,
Nathan

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can not offer any help, but can I ask how you did it?

My saint rear mech lost a jockey wheel on the shuttle up, and the scratch marks you have on yours looks similar to mine. Just curious.

Hope you can get it all to work though. Have you tried putting the spring in the other way or.....? It may just be something there that is catching it, and not letting it come back. They aren't too complex, so you should be able to have a play.

Zyphryss

Breaker of the unbreakable
Had to do this to fix Angus's Saint deraileur at Yack race weekend... so not sure if it's the right way to fix it, but hey, it works!

Just spin the cage around 270 degrees, and bolt her back up. :eek:

Or maybe call Shimano?

hmcleay

Likes Bikes
I would say that you need to pre-wind the spring about 180 degrees before you put it into the hole of the cage.

I hate working with torsion springs...
In my experience, they almost never have the same springyness after being re-assembled.
My guess is that they probably have a special tool in the factory that helps them pre-wind the spring.

Good Luck!

NASHWORTH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can not offer any help, but can I ask how you did it?

My saint rear mech lost a jockey wheel on the shuttle up, and the scratch marks you have on yours looks similar to mine. Just curious.

Hope you can get it all to work though. Have you tried putting the spring in the other way or.....? It may just be something there that is catching it, and not letting it come back. They aren't too complex, so you should be able to have a play.
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165408 :) Happened a while ago haha. I've just been using Sram for the last half a year, but after snapping another derailleur yesterday I've given up on Sram and decided to fix my saint.

Had to do this to fix Angus's Saint deraileur at Yack race weekend... so not sure if it's the right way to fix it, but hey, it works!

Just spin the cage around 270 degrees, and bolt her back up. :eek:

Or maybe call Shimano?
I would say that you need to pre-wind the spring about 180 degrees before you put it into the hole of the cage.

I hate working with torsion springs...
In my experience, they almost never have the same springyness after being re-assembled.
My guess is that they probably have a special tool in the factory that helps them pre-wind the spring.

Good Luck!
Stupid question guys, which way should I be spinning it? Turned it clockwise till the stopper hit the bump and tightened it (hardest job ever with 1 person) and it just kinda slowly re-lapsed, but then it was springy up the opposite way. :S

.BP.

Likes Dirt
I had the same problem, spin it counter clockwise.

Make sure you unscrew the little stop thing on the cage and to make it easier i cable tied the derailleur fully out so there was nothing in the way when spinning it.

Took me about an hour ti figure it out.

Hope this helped.

NASHWORTH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the help guys, ended up bending my torsion spring :S. Might get the LBS to do it next time. Although I won't have the torsion spring for a while because Shimano tend to take their time with parts.